Author Topic: MLB streaming network for in-market games?  (Read 76 times)

Offline wj73

Re: MLB streaming network for in-market games?
« Reply #1: October 18, 2021, 08:47:21 AM »
Very interesting if it goes through.

Offline nfotiu

• Juan Soto aka Human Wildcat
« Reply #2: October 18, 2021, 10:04:16 AM »
Thanks.  Very interesting story.  There are so many complicating factors that stand in the way of doing this right.  A price point of $10-$20 or more per month will be attractive to people holding on to their bundles just for their RSN, and would be somewhat attractive to fans who don't have a bundle.   It's not low enough to bring in the mass adoption needed to actually be a significant source of revenue thought, and really prices out casual fans and potential new fans.   Games easily available for free, cheap, or on something they already pay for is a huge part of marketing a sport.   

They probably see a high price/month as the only way to keep the RSNs somewhat happy though.   It gives some leverage when negotiating with Cable or Sat that they can include their RSN for "free" when the perceived value is $20/month standalone.   

MLB needs to do something though or they will lose fans forever.  It's hard to quit that $2-3 billion/year they collectively make in RSN deals though and its hard to envision in-market streaming that doesn't cost them a big chunk of those billions, but they may just have to accept it in the interest of long term health of the league.   It could make for a testy relationship with the union too if they accept a billion/year loss of RSN money to launch a streaming service.   The best move might be to let Sinclair's sports channels go bankrupt and force everyone's hands.   Although, I don't know how they can have a streaming service without RSNs producing the games.   

There's a potential pitfall at every turn here and it's going to drastically re-shape the business of MLB, NHL and NBA in the next couple years.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 2022
« Reply #3: October 18, 2021, 10:10:19 AM »
FWIW, we still pay for a TV package as part of our FiOS subscription, largely for easy access to local channels without an antenna, and for the RSNs, and because it's pretty cheap overall. I pay about $190 a month for gig Internet, phone, and TV.  That includes two satellite boxes with the premium DVR package.

With the MASN app, I can now stream Nats games anywhere.  This new offering wouldn't get me to drop my TV package because then I'd need to sign up for Hulu to watch NBC Sports (at $64.99 a month).

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: October 18, 2021, 10:17:17 AM »
We still have our xfinity package in NOVA which put son uses as he is at our house.  About $170 for internet and cable tv and phone (which we don’t use). Not terrible but the deal we had runs out soon. The irksome thing is that we can watch the Caps and Wizards down here in Florida with xfinity but not the Nats. It’s just dumb. Would be nice if MLB could do something like what the NHL is doing with ESPN+. $6.99 a month for almost all out of market games.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #5: October 18, 2021, 10:21:12 AM »
I pay $79 for fios Gigabit and $75 for Directv stream which includes HBO, MASN, NBC sports and all the other channels.   I'm not sure if I'd switch right away, but it would be nice to know that I'm not tied to DTV just for MASN going forward.

It sounds like the plan (pipe dream?) is to get all the RSNs on this service.  Maybe you could get your local NBA/NHL/MLB team for $20/month?   

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #6: October 18, 2021, 10:24:10 AM »
We still have our xfinity package in NOVA which put son uses as he is at our house.  About $170 for internet and cable tv and phone (which we don’t use). Not terrible but the deal we had runs out soon. The irksome thing is that we can watch the Caps and Wizards down here in Florida with xfinity but not the Nats. It’s just dumb. Would be nice if MLB could do something like what the NHL is doing with ESPN+. $6.99 a month for almost all out of market games.
You can get a single team package to watch the Nats out of market on MLB.tv for $90/season.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: October 18, 2021, 11:16:00 AM »
You can get a single team package to watch the Nats out of market on MLB.tv for $90/season.
I signed up for a free preview last April. Cancelled it and somehow still has MLB to free through July.  I purchased it for the last two months of the year. Was $24.99 I think. I like watching other games also. And of course in Florida all the Marlins games are blacked out. So 19 games a year. Last year Tampa also.

Online UMDNats

« Reply #8: October 18, 2021, 12:25:50 PM »
Maybe they could call this...MLB TV?