Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 37784 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Also, Aaron Sanchez
like this. Great if healthy. Upgrade from Ross

Offline rileyn

Love Sanchez for his work in late 2019, but last we saw him, was he even touching 80mph? 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Eh, he's healthy about as often as Ross, but its whatever.

Love Sanchez for his work in late 2019, but last we saw him, was he even touching 80mph? 
Aaron and Anibal are two different pitchers. Frankly, I dont think either will be viable starters

Offline Mattionals

Jesse D saying Doolittle has a locker in WPB.

Offline Slateman

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/nationals-to-sign-sean-doolittle.html

Major League deal, has locker already, but things are pending passing a physical.  I'm happy for him.  Has the guts to close but doesn't have the ego to say he won't be a set up guy. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://mobile.twitter.com/danielalvarezee/status/1503046279894548488?s=21

When you heard the Nats were bringing in Ehire, didn't you honestly think it was a job website?

Offline Slateman

Major League deal, has locker already, but things are pending passing a physical.  I'm happy for him.  Has the guts to close but doesn't have the ego to say he won't be a set up guy. 
Doolittle is middle relief at this point. And honestly, I cant stand him.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Doolittle is middle relief at this point. And honestly, I cant stand him.
his competition is Clay, or using Harris against lefties.  He'll be useful, I think.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Seems like we’re putting the 2019 team back together. Zimm and Howie next?

Offline Slateman

his competition is Clay, or using Harris against lefties.  He'll be useful, I think.
Alberto Baldonado is still on the roster. Evan Lee on the 40 man. Seth Romero too. And Matt Cronin is waiting in the wings.

Offline imref

Alberto Baldonado is still on the roster. Evan Lee on the 40 man. Seth Romero too. And Matt Cronin is waiting in the wings.

Romero likely gets cut at some point.  LHB hit .222 off Doolittle last year.

Offline imref

Dougherty reports that Livan Hernandez is at the Nats camp (just hanging out and talking to players though).

Offline Five Banners

Seems like we’re putting the 2019 team back together. Zimm and Howie next?

Asdrubal, come on down

Offline Dave in Fairfax

No matter how many FA bats you sign, if you are basically dumpster-diving for starting pitching, you are not seriously trying to contend. Even if Stras and Corbin rebound to 2019 levels, you are still short a top-tier #3. And you won't get very far in the postseason with a 2-man rotation.

Maybe Gray will be a high-quality starter, but I don't think we can expect 30 starts and 160-170 innings.

Offline imref

No matter how many FA bats you sign, if you are basically dumpster-diving for starting pitching, you are not seriously trying to contend. Even if Stras and Corbin rebound to 2019 levels, you are still short a top-tier #3. And you won't get very far in the postseason with a 2-man rotation.

Maybe Gray will be a high-quality starter, but I don't think we can expect 30 starts and 160-170 innings.

Kikuchi would have been a nice fit.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Greinke to a one-year deal with the same idea as Cruz of potentially flipping him at the deadline.  There is a decent chance of Cavalli making it to the majors this year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Was thinking the same thing about Greinke. 

Offline GNatsNoMore

Kikuchi would have been a nice fit.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Greinke to a one-year deal with the same idea as Cruz of potentially flipping him at the deadline.  There is a decent chance of Cavalli making it to the majors this year.

It looks like Greinke is the only decent free agent SP (#3) left.  Sounds like a plan to me.  Sign him for one year and flip him if you can get anything decent at the deadline. 

Here's a list of the pitchers still available.  Does anyone else see someone worth signing? 

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/around-mlb/mlb-free-agency-tracker-starting-pitchers

Offline Natsinpwc

It looks like Greinke is the only decent free agent SP (#3) left.  Sounds like a plan to me.  Sign him for one year and flip him if you can get anything decent at the deadline. 

Here's a list of the pitchers still available.  Does anyone else see someone worth signing? 

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/around-mlb/mlb-free-agency-tracker-starting-pitchers
Lots of good candidates. Tommy Milone. Tanner Roark. Matt Harvey.

Offline Slateman

Grienke is back of the rotation fodder at this point

Offline imref

:hysterical:

Offline imref

Ryan Zimmerman scheduled to visit camp tomorrow......

Offline nfotiu

I don’t think there are more than a dozen pitchers who can be counted on for 160-170 innings.  And half of them will probably get hurt this year.  160 inning pitchers are almost extinct and most teams don’t have one.   Loading up on bullpen arms seems to be the trendy way to good out pitching these days.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I'd take a punt on bouncebacks for Fiers or Davies if either is healthy (Fiers probably isn't).

Offline imref

I don’t think there are more than a dozen pitchers who can be counted on for 160-170 innings.  And half of them will probably get hurt this year.  160 inning pitchers are almost extinct and most teams don’t have one.   Loading up on bullpen arms seems to be the trendy way to good out pitching these days.

there are 40 pitchers who threw at least 160 innings last year

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2021-standard-pitching.shtml