Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 38270 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Nats sign Richard Ureña to a minor league deal. MI depth but out of options.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Nats sign Richard Ureña to a minor league deal. MI depth but out of options.
well, if it is a minor league contract, he doesn't need to be optioned.

Offline Five Banners

Same.

I get the impression that Rizzo isnt good at multi-tasking the pursuit of free agents. That he basically locks in on one or two guys and doesnt really break off for others

Suspect that given the committee – like way ownership has handled things reportedly in the past, Rizzo might feel he has to be very strategic in terms of what he pursues and puts in front of them

Online imref

well, if it is a minor league contract, he doesn't need to be optioned.
. Right, but if he’s called up he’d need to clear waivers to go back to aaa

Online imref

Suspect that given the committee – like way ownership has handled things reportedly in the past, Rizzo might feel he has to be very strategic in terms of what he pursues and puts in front of them

On the previous page i posted a report that the Nats aren’t doing anything until there’s a new CBA

Offline Natsinpwc

On the previous page i posted a report that the Nats aren’t doing anything until there’s a new CBA
Mostly it is the higher priced guys signing so far. No surprise they are not in on those types of players.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Clint Frazier for couple million doesnt sound like it needs to concern ownership

Online imref

Clint Frazier for couple million doesnt sound like it needs to concern ownership

Frazier 2021 = Schwarber 2020

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/status/1465850255912677385

Nationals have non-tendered RHPs Wander Suero and Ryne Harper, plus 1B Mike Ford (who played at AAA this season). Everyone else on the 40-man roster was tendered a contract for 2022.

YES!!!!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline Mattionals

The Lerners will say they were smart to wait out a deal because you should know what the landscape is before you spend. The reality is that all the players worth signing are going to try like hell and sign before the lockout deadline tomorrow night. Of course that means the Nats can legitimately suck for 1st place next year, but ownership will seriously never publicly state that.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

The Lerners will say they were smart to wait out a deal because you should know what the landscape is before you spend. The reality is that all the players worth signing are going to try like hell and sign before the lockout deadline tomorrow night. Of course that means the Nats can legitimately suck for 1st place next year, but ownership will seriously never publicly state that.

2022 is definitely a tank year...that was determined at the 2021 trade deadline...

Offline Natsinpwc

2022 is definitely a tank year...that was determined at the 2021 trade deadline...
Yes. Some don’t seem to understand that and think we are signing the big names to long term deals. They will be looking for guys on one year deals once the dust settles.

Offline Mattionals

Yes. Some don’t seem to understand that and think we are signing the big names to long term deals. They will be looking for guys on one year deals once the dust settles.

I understand the Nats can't fix everything in one off-season given the state of the farm system, but there were good deals to be made that could have either turned into long term options or be flipped at the deadline for a potential piece. Clint Frazier was literally a perfect fit.

Thing is about tanking in 2022, even a number one draft pick isn't going to be enough. Honestly, even with Bryant AND Taylor, this team might still compete for worst record. Thing is you turn it around a little bit faster if you sign those guys AND get a high draft pick.

Offline Natsinpwc

I understand the Nats can't fix everything in one off-season given the state of the farm system, but there were good deals to be made that could have either turned into long term options or be flipped at the deadline for a potential piece. Clint Frazier was literally a perfect fit.

Thing is about tanking in 2022, even a number one draft pick isn't going to be enough. Honestly, even with Bryant AND Taylor, this team might still compete for worst record. Thing is you turn it around a little bit faster if you sign those guys AND get a high draft pick.
A draft pick won’t arrive for a few years. It’s more a matter of seeing what the young guys have over the next couple of years and if they develop look for free agents after next season or later. Bryant seems to be trending in the wrong direction offensively. I’m not convinced Taylor will be as good in a lineup where he is one of the centerpiece guys. He got lots of good pitches to hit in LA due to their lineup. I don’t see why the team would want to sign either of these guys. I assume they will each get at least 4 years. Taylor is already 31.

Online imref

Apparently we’re close to signing Cesar Hernandez

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hernace02.shtml

Offline Natsinpwc

Apparently we’re close to signing Cesar Hernandez

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hernace02.shtml
Good defense. Light hitting. Makes lots of baserunning mistakes so that will fit in.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Just can't understand why the Nats weren't all in on Frazier. Young enough to last the rebuild, cheap enough to cut if he's not healthy... he was perfect for the team.

Frazier has not really recovered from injuries. Hasn't beaten the concussion. The Yankees liked him a lot, and likely would have kept him if they thought he could get on the field again.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
A draft pick won’t arrive for a few years. It’s more a matter of seeing what the young guys have over the next couple of years and if they develop look for free agents after next season or later. Bryant seems to be trending in the wrong direction offensively. I’m not convinced Taylor will be as good in a lineup where he is one of the centerpiece guys. He got lots of good pitches to hit in LA due to their lineup. I don’t see why the team would want to sign either of these guys. I assume they will each get at least 4 years. Taylor is already 31.

What says that Bryant is trending down?

Bryant looks fine: 25 homers, .835 OPS, and 124 OPS+ total last season. Hit .265. Nothing in his stats says he's trending down. Further, the Nats have nobody playing 3B, not in the majors or the minors.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bryankr01.shtml

Offline Natsinpwc

What says that Bryant is trending down?

Bryant looks fine: 25 homers, .835 OPS, and 124 OPS+ total last season. Hit .265. Nothing in his stats says he's trending down. Further, the Nats have nobody playing 3B, not in the majors or the minors.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bryankr01.shtml
His OPS+ the past two seasons is below his career average. He looked overmatched in SF. Was very bad in 2020.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Sueron will sign somewhere that can work with pitchers and be great next year.  Bank it

Online imref

Hernandez signs a one-year deal for four million

Offline Mattionals

His OPS+ the past two seasons is below his career average. He looked overmatched in SF. Was very bad in 2020.

Depending on what he gets paid though, he could be a good fit. His defense is meh at 3B, but his bat still plays well in LF and especially in CF. He is still relatively young. I'll take a .770-.800 OPS hitter in those spots. Hell, I'll take sucky defense at 3B with those numbers. It's not like Kieboom has done any of that and Kieboom plays worse defense at 3B.

Offline Natsinpwc

Depending on what he gets paid though, he could be a good fit. His defense is meh at 3B, but his bat still plays well in LF and especially in CF. He is still relatively young. I'll take a .770-.800 OPS hitter in those spots. Hell, I'll take sucky defense at 3B with those numbers. It's not like Kieboom has done any of that and Kieboom plays worse defense at 3B.
But why tie yourself on a long term deal to a guy who may decline when you start to be competitive? Boras client.

https://sportsnaut.com/kris-bryant-free-agent-destinations-contract/