Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 38889 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Cant count on Ross. Frankly, I think too many fans overrate him. At his best, he cant get through a lineup three times. Most of the time not even twice. And he seems unwilling to become a reliever.

Relievers are the perfect bounce back candidates to buy. Rainey and Finnegan are the only locks to return. I'd like to see Fedde moved to relief.  That leaves plenty of spots for rebound types. Buchter, Daniel Norris, Betances, Bradley, and Kela are all options the Nats should be calling about. Get two of them and hope one rebounds and can be flipped at the deadline.
I expect Ross to throw 3 pitches then shake his arm and walk off the field.  I think they are going with the rehab rather than surgery because he would not try to rehab and pitch if he needed TJ surgery.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'd like to see a hard push for Knebel. He'll turn 30 this year, has a lot of experience closing, and seems to have fully recovered from TJS. Dont know if he wants a multi-year deal or wants a one year, prove it deal as a closer, but either way, having him deepens a shakey pen

Offline aspenbubba

We weren't rebuilding last offseason.

Unless there's a surprise candidate who doesnt get a qualifying offer, I dont see any major position players being signed.
I don't agree as I believe the Lerners will want to put a competitive team on the field in '22 to maintain a fan base. And competitive is a team approaching .500  ball. They should go after a LF ( and for sentimental reasons the # 1 candidate would be Schwarber) or one of the many possibilities we all discussed last year ( Rosario, Duvall, Joc et al) and possibly Harrison to play 3rd as Kiebust just freakin sucks both offensively and defensively.. I believe that the loser of the OD CF competition between Robles and Thomas will be the # 4 and Hernandez will be the lefty off the bench over Stevenson.

Agreed the pen is garbage and we do need 2-3 SP and I have no idea what the FO should do but the will have to do something. Fans aren't going to pay or watch a half a game and wait for the 'pen to blow more than 46 games next year.

Offline hotshot

I'd like to see a hard push for Knebel. He'll turn 30 this year, has a lot of experience closing, and seems to have fully recovered from TJS. Dont know if he wants a multi-year deal or wants a one year, prove it deal as a closer, but either way, having him deepens a shakey pen
I like Knebel. Nasty stuff and he "looks" the part of a closer (6'4, 220). LA got him this time last year for the proverbial PTBNL (not sure who that turned out to be).

Only reservation is the phenomenon of players going from an elite team to a mediocre one suddenly looking somewhat pedestrian. Works the other way too with great players on an average team even looking better when they go to a big  winner.   ;)

Offline madj55

Wish we were in a position to sign Raisel Iglesias.

Offline Mattionals

EY, Eric Young Jr., is the new First Base coach according to MLBTR. Announced by EY's dad, Eric Young Sr. who is the first base coach for the Barves.

Offline madj55

EY, Eric Young Jr., is the new First Base coach according to MLBTR. Announced by EY's dad, Eric Young Sr. who is the first base coach for the Barves.
Probably will take over Henley’s OF coaching duties I would assume as well.

Offline Mattionals

Probably will take over Henley’s OF coaching duties I would assume as well.

Yup, seems that way.

Offline Slateman

I would have rather seen him fall flat on his butt in the playoffs, but I'd still think he's the fit.  There may be others like him out there who for some reason haven't gotten noticed or the playing time, but that type of multipositional defender with a good bat would be a big help for a team with several prospects it is hoping will take on roles but which prospect and which role is uncertainty. 

For example, is Luis Garcia a piece you can count on, and if so, where?  Lane Thomas / Robles more than a 4th OF?  Where does House end up playing, 3rd or SS, and when?  Who covers the non-House left side of the infield position, and when?  You can probably assume House has no impact for the next 2 years, so you need a shorter-term vet to cover the House position, probably.   

Harrison still makes sense for this team for a couple of years, but he can't cover SS.  IF Canha comes cheap, Harrison and Canha might be a better alternative, but Taylor covers all these positions.

https://districtondeck.com/2021/10/29/washington-nationals-should-the-nats-sign-chris-taylor/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://districtondeck.com/2021/10/29/washington-nationals-should-the-nats-sign-chris-taylor/
thanks.  At least there's another idiot out there.  :lol:

But seriously, you'd love to find the next Enrique Hernandez and sign him for 3 years just to stabilize things and have some alternatives in case one of the prospect you are giving a sink or swim chance to ends up sinking.  Maybe you go year by year with Harrison-type signings that you can flip if things don't work out surprisingly well, but the alternative is to find a guy you know will play well for a few years but you just don't know what position.  4 years, $80 million would not make sense for Taylor or the like, but at $16-17 million and 3-4 years would be doable at this point in the build.

Offline DPMOmaha

Rox are letting Jon Gray walk. Wonder if that’s someone Rizzo goes after.

Offline Slateman

Rox are letting Jon Gray walk. Wonder if that’s someone Rizzo goes after.
I gotta think a lot of teams will be interested.

I always found it interesting that he seemed to pitch better at Coors

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I gotta think a lot of teams will be interested.

I always found it interesting that he seemed to pitch better at Coors
he was also known to ride a horse backwards, says goodbye when he means hello, and washes with dirt.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Nats set to hire former Mets 3B coach Gary DiSarcina for the same role here in DC per Zuck.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Nats set to hire former Mets 3B coach Gary DiSarcina for the same role here in DC per Zuck.
he coached a lot in the Red Sox system and was well thought of. 

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline imref

MLBTR reports Henry Blanco shifts to a new position of "catching and strategy" coach, and Ricky Bones joins the staff as bullpen coach.

Offline UMDNats

FP is gone.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline imref

FP is gone.

sorry, didn't see your post before I started a new thread. It probably is thread-worth as far as discussing the potential replacement.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Blanco probably belongs in the dugout with Davey rather than out in the bullpen.  Easier to converse with the catchers.  Blanco was top tier defensively.  This sounds like a good move.

Offline Natsinpwc

(Image removed from quote.)
I actually feel a little sad for him.  But that won't last long.  I wonder if Carp will be retiring?

Offline UMDNats

Have we talked about how our bullpen coach is named Dick Bones?

Offline imref

Officially free agents:
C Alex Avila
LHP Luis Avilan
INF Jordy Mercer
OF Gerardo Parra
1B Ryan Zimmerman

Offline imref

Nick Castellanos opts out of the remaining 2 years/ $34 million on his deal with the Reds.

We can dream right?