Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 37743 times)

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

I love the optimism, but IMO the biggest need is those who throw on the mound. I do like Harrison and Canha, and greedy me would take Taylor and Canha.

I like canha but I don’t think he really fits on our roster.  If we get a righty corner bat they need to be able to play some 3rd or be better than canha.  I say this as someone who likes canha.  Bryant is the only position player I’d go over 4 yrs/$70M on.  The price point doesn’t make the other guys worth it. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

I love the optimism, but IMO the biggest need is those who throw on the mound. I do like Harrison and Canha, and greedy me would take Taylor and Canha.
the mound is a need, but I don't think another $100MM+ and 5+ year commitment is a sensible way to build a rotation, and spending big on relievers is a license to fail. Find someone who like a Heaney or some of the other 3rd tier fa starters for no more than 3 years who could break out while Cavalli et al develop, but don't just give up on position players

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I would have rather seen him fall flat on his butt in the playoffs, but I'd still think he's the fit.  There may be others like him out there who for some reason haven't gotten noticed or the playing time, but that type of multipositional defender with a good bat would be a big help for a team with several prospects it is hoping will take on roles but which prospect and which role is uncertainty. 

For example, is Luis Garcia a piece you can count on, and if so, where?  Lane Thomas / Robles more than a 4th OF?  Where does House end up playing, 3rd or SS, and when?  Who covers the non-House left side of the infield position, and when?  You can probably assume House has no impact for the next 2 years, so you need a shorter-term vet to cover the House position, probably.   

Harrison still makes sense for this team for a couple of years, but he can't cover SS.  IF Canha comes cheap, Harrison and Canha might be a better alternative, but Taylor covers all these positions.
Not sure why we wouldn't be starting Robles, Thomas, and Garcia next season ...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Not sure why we wouldn't be starting Robles, Thomas, and Garcia next season ...
I'd want to see Garcia at short in that case.

I don't believe there's anything to be gained by only playing in house options at all positions, with the only every day vets being Soto, Bell, and Escobar. There's plenty of room for one or two more FA pieces in the lineup . A high end multi position guy is a perfect fit for a team at this stage of a rebuild

Online Slateman

I'd want to see Garcia at short in that case.

I don't believe there's anything to be gained by only playing in house options at all positions, with the only every day vets being Soto, Bell, and Escobar. There's plenty of room for one or two more FA pieces in the lineup . A high end multi position guy is a perfect fit for a team at this stage of a rebuild
None of them are worth overpaying to come to a losing team.

Theres no reason to overpay for Taylor. He's 31. He's going to freaking suck in 2024, which is probably the earliest this team will have a window. And his salary will demand he plays, just like Albatross Werth's did.

freak all of that. You either get one year, easily movable deals, or massively overpay for guys who can contribute in 2024

Offline Natsinpwc

None of them are worth overpaying to come to a losing team.

Theres no reason to overpay for Taylor. He's 31. He's going to freaking suck in 2024, which is probably the earliest this team will have a window. And his salary will demand he plays, just like Albatross Werth's did.

freak all of that. You either get one year, easily movable deals, or massively overpay for guys who can contribute in 2024
Look for younger corner OFs with some upside who have not done well the past couple years.  Cheaper and shorter term contracts. Jorge Soler maybe.

Online Slateman

Look for younger corner OFs with some upside who have not done well the past couple years.  Cheaper and shorter term contracts. Jorge Soler maybe.
We have Thomas, Robles, Soto and Stevenson. Why do we need anothet?

Offline Natsinpwc

We have Thomas, Robles, Soto and Stevenson. Why do we need anothet?
Here is a hint. Look at their stats. It’s unclear if any of the three you mentioned other than Soto will be any good. Get another and increase the odds.   They have plenty of payroll to sign guys as regulars and pitchers who might be bounce back candidates.

Online Slateman

Here is a hint. Look at their stats. It’s unclear if any of the three you mentioned other than Soto will be any good. Get another and increase the odds.   They have plenty of payroll to sign guys as regulars and pitchers who might be bounce back candidates.
Perfectly good reason to let them play next season. No reason to spend money on a "bounce back" when you need to see what you have on the roster

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

I think the kids are the core in 2022.  With the CBA looming and no pitching at all, there's no sense paying up only to finish in 3rd or 4th place in the Division. 

This team is gonna suck for several years...maybe more than that.  May as well do it on the cheap...won't hurt so much if we don't have any expectations...

This would actually be a great time to try and sign Soto long term, and look to be competitive once Corbin is off the books......

I just hope a lockout or strike doesn't f-up our Spring Training plans...

Offline Natsinpwc

I think the kids are the core in 2022.  With the CBA looming and no pitching at all, there's no sense paying up only to finish in 3rd or 4th place in the Division. 

This team is gonna suck for several years...maybe more than that.  May as well do it on the cheap...won't hurt so much if we don't have any expectations...

This would actually be a great time to try and sign Soto long term, and look to be competitive once Corbin is off the books......

I just hope a lockout or strike doesn't f-up our Spring Training plans...
Not talking about spending big. More like what they did with Schwarber and Harrison last year. But maybe some younger and even cheaper guys. May find a keeper. Anyway Stras will be back at ace form.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
If you actually could lock up Soto, then it might convince s free agent and the fans that there is a hope

Online Slateman

Not talking about spending big. More like what they did with Schwarber and Harrison last year. But maybe some younger and even cheaper guys. May find a keeper. Anyway Stras will be back at ace form.
There are 17 guys available that are younger than Schwarber was last offseason. I'd be really impressed if you could name more than 2 of them.

Why are we signing placeholders when we have guys on this team? Hernadez, Stevenson, Thomas, Robles, and Soto all need to play as much as possible next season. Same with Kieboom and Garcia.

If the Nats are spending, it needs to be pitching. Stras aint gonna be healthy. Corbin is toast. Counting on Ross, Fedde, Rogers, and Espino is fools gold. Gray is still developing at the MLB level, with Cavalli still behind in the minors. And neither of those guys has had TJS yet, so its pretty much a forgone conclusion one of them will need it. The pen is utter garbage.

So players like Archie Bradley, Dylan Bundy, Andrew Heaney, ect should be the Nats' targets

Online Slateman

If you actually could lock up Soto, then it might convince s free agent and the fans that there is a hope
We could, but we both know they wont

Offline Natsinpwc

There are 17 guys available that are younger than Schwarber was last offseason. I'd be really impressed if you could name more than 2 of them.

Why are we signing placeholders when we have guys on this team? Hernadez, Stevenson, Thomas, Robles, and Soto all need to play as much as possible next season. Same with Kieboom and Garcia.

If the Nats are spending, it needs to be pitching. Stras aint gonna be healthy. Corbin is toast. Counting on Ross, Fedde, Rogers, and Espino is fools gold. Gray is still developing at the MLB level, with Cavalli still behind in the minors. And neither of those guys has had TJS yet, so its pretty much a forgone conclusion one of them will need it. The pen is utter garbage.

So players like Archie Bradley, Dylan Bundy, Andrew Heaney, ect should be the Nats' targets
As I said they have money to spend on both. I am sure Rizzo knows all the names. In any event you panned the Schwarber signing last year.  Just waiting for your reactions to this winter signings.

Offline Natsinpwc

Adam Duvall would be interesting although he is not young.  Cost $5 million this year and has a mutual option for 2022. Low average but lots of power.  Would be more productive than single hitting Yadiel. Good defense also. Dingers are fun.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Adam Duvall would be interesting although he is not young.  Cost $5 million this year and has a mutual option for 2022. Low average but lots of power.  Would be more productive than single hitting Yadiel. Good defense also. Dingers are fun.
I'll be curious who Atlanta tries to bring back among Joc, Duvall, and Rosario.  All of those were available and cheap last year.  I'm not sure there's a comparable position among the FAs. 

Offline Natsinpwc

I'll be curious who Atlanta tries to bring back among Joc, Duvall, and Rosario.  All of those were available and cheap last year.  I'm not sure there's a comparable position among the FAs.
Don’t forget Soler.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

As Slate says, the Nats have no starters, except Gray. He's a maybe...potential, but not nearly There yet. Cavalli needs to repeat AAA, where he got blasted. Henry needs to get to AAA after acing A. And the bullpen is less than nothing...a negative.

Offhand, I would bid for someone like Stroman, plus Matz, or anyone without a QO.

Nats need a 3B, and Kieboom needs to prove it somewhere other than the majors. He was a prospect, but a prospect needs to prove it.

Online Slateman

As I said they have money to spend on both. I am sure Rizzo knows all the names. In any event you panned the Schwarber signing last year.  Just waiting for your reactions to this winter signings.
We weren't rebuilding last offseason.

Unless there's a surprise candidate who doesnt get a qualifying offer, I dont see any major position players being signed.

Online Slateman

As Slate says, the Nats have no starters, except Gray. He's a maybe...potential, but not nearly There yet. Cavalli needs to repeat AAA, where he got blasted. Henry needs to get to AAA after acing A. And the bullpen is less than nothing...a negative.

Offhand, I would bid for someone like Stroman, plus Matz, or anyone without a QO.

Nats need a 3B, and Kieboom needs to prove it somewhere other than the majors. He was a prospect, but a prospect needs to prove it.

Kieboom has already proven he can hit in the minors. He starts the season at third and they make a decision in July

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'd target the rebound hopefuls (Heaney, Lorenzen, maybe Archer figuring we'll hit on one of the TOS guys), and maybe Rich Hill or another older vet who actually is performing rather than rebounding.  Nervous about Alex Wood on any longer contract. 
More than likely. Could add Matz or Bundy to that list.

Ideally, Eduardo Rodriguez doesnt get a QO. He's young enough that he would be a solid number 2 in this rotation in two to three years

This is priority #1.  Probably need 2 of these guys, but I'll settle for one.  Corbin has a slot in the rotation as well as Gray. the Nats have to have a viable #6 who can swing into the rotation in case Strasburg can't pitch, but if Strasburg can pitch, he has another slot in the rotation.  They seem to think Ross will be available to pitch and avoid UCL surgery, so maybe pencil him in for a slot as well at the start of the year. 

As for the bullpen, beats the heck out of me how you fix it.  There's very few relievers I think that have the track record to make you feel comfortable to throw even Harris money at them (3 years, $24MM), let alone $15MM+ AAV over multiple years.  OTOH, the fixes seem to come from nowhere.  TB and Houston are good examples.  The Houston bullpen going to the World Series is a almost a complete revamp of the one that went in 2019 (except Pressly), and it's not a high cost bullpen. Pressly was a big time act of faith when he was acquired in 2018 at the deadline and then given a 3 yearextension (with an option).  He is still not making over $9MM a year, and the rest of the relievers all make $2MM or less.  Almost none of their pen came through the system.  My thought about building a bullpen is that it is more scouting and coaching than spending money. 

Offline welch

Kieboom has already proven he can hit in the minors. He starts the season at third and they make a decision in July

Can't depend on Kieboom. The team depended on him in 2020 and 2021, and he has proven that he cannot hit MLB pitching and he has failed as a fielder.

As I've said before, Kieboom hit well in one AAA season in Fresno, but not this year in Rochester. He has flopped, and badly, with the Nats. But, then, Slate has higher hopes for Kieboom that I do.

The Nats need starters, since Gray is the only starter they who who might be good. Strasburg and Corbin are giant "ifs". Ross, if he can come back, would be a good number 5 starter. I want Rizzo to find Matz or the next Matz-equivalent and the next Robbie Ray-equivalent. Stroman would be nice since that subtracts a dependable starter from the Mets.

Syndegaard will be chancy, whether for the Mets or whoever signs Thor. Mets are likely to extend a QO to Syndegaard, and a team would be taking a risk to lose a draft choice to take a guy who hasn't pitched since 2019. As best I understand the compensation for a free agent, a team like the Nats would lose their second highest pick next year. That would be a second round pick. I doubt Syndegaard would be worth it, but he proved he had talent.

Well, why not Max? It's only money, and the Nats have a lot more money than talent right now.

Offline welch

And here are some players that might receive QOs, and a few who cannot. Note that it was written in late August:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/2021-22-qualifying-offer-candidates.html

Online Slateman

This is priority #1.  Probably need 2 of these guys, but I'll settle for one.  Corbin has a slot in the rotation as well as Gray. the Nats have to have a viable #6 who can swing into the rotation in case Strasburg can't pitch, but if Strasburg can pitch, he has another slot in the rotation.  They seem to think Ross will be available to pitch and avoid UCL surgery, so maybe pencil him in for a slot as well at the start of the year. 

As for the bullpen, beats the heck out of me how you fix it.  There's very few relievers I think that have the track record to make you feel comfortable to throw even Harris money at them (3 years, $24MM), let alone $15MM+ AAV over multiple years.  OTOH, the fixes seem to come from nowhere.  TB and Houston are good examples.  The Houston bullpen going to the World Series is a almost a complete revamp of the one that went in 2019 (except Pressly), and it's not a high cost bullpen. Pressly was a big time act of faith when he was acquired in 2018 at the deadline and then given a 3 yearextension (with an option).  He is still not making over $9MM a year, and the rest of the relievers all make $2MM or less.  Almost none of their pen came through the system.  My thought about building a bullpen is that it is more scouting and coaching than spending money. 
Cant count on Ross. Frankly, I think too many fans overrate him. At his best, he cant get through a lineup three times. Most of the time not even twice. And he seems unwilling to become a reliever.

Relievers are the perfect bounce back candidates to buy. Rainey and Finnegan are the only locks to return. I'd like to see Fedde moved to relief.  That leaves plenty of spots for rebound types. Buchter, Daniel Norris, Betances, Bradley, and Kela are all options the Nats should be calling about. Get two of them and hope one rebounds and can be flipped at the deadline.