Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 37760 times)

Online Five Banners

Zuck suggests Long wanted a multi year deal.

How dare he

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
I just don’t understand what about longs performance would make the lerners hesitant to o on get him a good multi year deal

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
The ownership continues to be ready to spend big on the field when needed but not on staff. Strange.

Online Five Banners

I just don’t understand what about longs performance would make the lerners hesitant to o on get him a good multi year deal

With ownership in the hands of Lerner the Younger and the committee, would not be surprised if it head-scratchers in terms of long-term planning and what should be easy lifts are even more of the norm going forward.

Offline Natsinpwc

If they can Davey a new manager will want to bring in his own team. Doesn’t make sense to have coaches with longer contracts than the manager. The Lerners don’t want to be paying two managers and two hitting coaches if that happens.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
same as it ever was.  A stupid line in the sand for the Nats.  I suppose it's hard to commit to a coach for a longer term than the manager (who I think is only locked up for one year), but it'd have been nice if Long had become the next Knorr or Henley where there'd always be a job for him regardless of who is managing.  there's always a spot in player development as a roving hitting instructor or a more glorified title for working with the minor leaguers if a new manager doesn't want him around.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
same as it ever was.  A stupid line in the sand for the Nats.  I suppose it's hard to commit to a coach for a longer term than the manager (who I think is only locked up for one year), but it'd have been nice if Long had become the next Knorr or Henley where there'd always be a job for him regardless of who is managing.  there's always a spot in player development as a roving hitting instructor or a more glorified title for working with the minor leaguers if a new manager doesn't want him around.

Martinez's contract runs through the end of the 2023 season. I wouldn't be surprised if he hangs it up after then, this job seems to be taking a toll on him physically.

Offline UMDNats

The World Series was the worst thing possible for this ownership group. Mark now feels like he's the smartest owner in baseball and it enables him to be a stupid cheap owner on random things that he thinks are the reason they won. Like he 100% thinks being a total jerk to Dusty was justifiable because we won in 19.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
The World Series was the worst thing possible for this ownership group. Mark now feels like he's the smartest owner in baseball and it enables him to be a stupid cheap owner on random things that he thinks are the reason they won. Like he 100% thinks being a total jerk to Dusty was justifiable because we won in 19.
Looks like the WS honeymoon is finally over

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
I thought that, even recently ('Soto wears Turner shirt'), Long was regarded as almost being Soto's 'personal' coach - Lerner's sending a (medium-term) message, with regard to retaining Soto?...

Offline UMDNats

Looks like the WS honeymoon is finally over

the lerners will always be the lerners, unfortunately. they spend on the roster when we're competing but they definitely are SUPER weird about coach spending.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I thought that, even recently ('Soto wears Turner shirt'), Long was regarded as almost being Soto's 'personal' coach - Lerner's sending a (medium-term) message, with regard to retaining Soto?...
Not really. But Long has a fantastic reputation, with multiple high performing players crediting him for their improvements.

Offline UMDNats

Long is without a doubt a top 3 hitting coach in baseball so it's a pretty big loss. Soto should have no problem being an elite hitter without him but we can't hire a pumpkin in there. Need a legit coach not some cheap turd the Lerners found in AA.

Honestly though the chances that Long was here by the time Soto was a free agent were almost 0 before this week anyways. Coaches don't stay on teams for 20 years anymore.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'd bring in whoever coached Soto on the way up and share the knowledge. 

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
If they can Davey a new manager will want to bring in his own team. Doesn’t make sense to have coaches with longer contracts than the manager. The Lerners don’t want to be paying two managers and two hitting coaches if that happens.

Except long is always in demand and any manager who wouldn’t want him on his staff probably shouldn’t be a manager

Offline Natsinpwc

Except long is always in demand and any manager who wouldn’t want him on his staff probably shouldn’t be a manager
What has he done for Robles and Kieboom?

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

Some would argue that exit velocity is one of the hardest things to teach hitting wise.  Robles has a career 81.3 exit velo.  Even when he was “good” in 2019 his EV was only 81.7 which is bad.

Kieboom is a lost cause.

Long is still in demand clearly so I don’t think it’s fair to judge him on players that perform poorly.  There are always going to be bad players.   

Robles hate aside, I do not want to sell low on him unless it’s for a great return.  He’s still only 24.

Offline UMDNats

Guy isn't a divine miracle worker.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Yup...you can't turn chicken crap into chicken salad...

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

Chicken crap is high in nitrogen though so you can fertilize fields with it, which in turn can grow feed to feed to more chickens

Offline Natsinpwc

And that’s why he didn’t get a long term deal from the Lerners.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...

Oh, I don't know...Heston Blumenthal might give it a go... :hysterical:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Chicken crap is high in nitrogen though so you can fertilize fields with it, which in turn can grow feed to feed to more chickens

...resulting in even more chicken crap...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
...resulting in even more chicken crap...
Ponzi tried this before he hit on the scheme he's more famous for.  "You raise a chicken, contact 5 more people to raise chickens, and then get each one to send you the crap . . ."

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Ponzi tried this before he hit on the scheme he's more famous for.  "You raise a chicken, contact 5 more people to raise chickens, and then get each one to send you the crap . . ."

Ponzi must be the Director of our Scouting Department...