Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 38419 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Senley and Knorr to development positions in the organization. The other coaches were extended contracts, but are free to find jobs somewhere else. Except for Hickey, who signed a contract already.

Long too?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Senley and Knorr to development positions in the organization. The other coaches were extended contracts, but are free to find jobs somewhere else. Except for Hickey, who signed a contract already.
Henley teaching the young kids how to run the bases. WCGW

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
What do y’all think Bryant ends up signing for?  I’d feel comfortable going up to 6 years/$150M but I doubt that gets it done

Offline Slateman

I too would be comfortable underpaying for premium free agents

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
I too would be comfortable underpaying for premium free agents

He was worth 3.3 bWAR this year.  That’s not exactly elite.  Bryant is overrated.  His first two years were phenomenal.  His perks are that he can play multiple positions fairly well (albeit not GG caliber) and hits righty which we need.

Also freak it.  Let’s just make bell play third

Offline Elvir Ovcina

He was worth 3.3 bWAR this year.  That’s not exactly elite.  Bryant is overrated.  His first two years were phenomenal.  His perks are that he can play multiple positions fairly well (albeit not GG caliber) and hits righty which we need.

Also freak it.  Let’s just make bell play third

Yeah, but 3.3 bWAR was in a season he was below his career norms across the board, and even 3.3 WAR a year is in the $25-28 million per year range depending on what position he's actually expected to play.   

His poor 2020 and subpar (for him) 2021 make valuation a little challenging, especially given the expected labor issues. 

Offline UMDNats

that's what I mean by the Whitlock comparison.  Basically, a guy who was coming off arm injuries and had not established himself on the major league roster.  Whitlock was well regarded but not like prime Honeywell, and Honeywell at least pitched a whole year in AAA this year.  I saw they tried Honeywell closing in Durham.  K rate down, BB rate up a bit from career best, but he has more of a track record as to what he is than Whitlock had coming into the offseason.  Given his arm history, I'd think the risk / reward is comparable to Whitlock. I'd love to roll the dice on this one.  I think De La Rosa + somebody off the gulf coast instructional league roster would get listened to for KK + Honeywell.  TBH, I'd rather a little more bat than KK, but I think this is an upgrade over even Robles in  CF.

Damn this is some good trade formulating here with you and Slate. I dig this and could 100% see us doing something like this. Low A-ball prospects like JDR are fine but having the chance to add a young pitcher + a veteran OF for next year's team is pretty good for both sides IMO.

Offline imref

Blake Finney  @FinneyBlake

MLB Trade Rumors have released their arbitration projections. Here's how Nats project:
Juan Soto: $16.2m
Josh Bell: $10m
Joe Ross: $3m
Erick Fedde: $1.9m
Victor Robles: $1.7m
Austin Voth: $1.0m
Wander Suero: $900k
Andrew Stevenson: $900k
Ryne Harper: $800k
Tanner Rainey: $800k

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

I really don't see any of those who I would say "take a hike" at those prices. 

Ross I may be inclined to do a 2 year deal where his base for this year may be $3MM but the team has a $1MM option for next season only if he pitches fewer than 50 innings.  That way, if he is out most of the year due to injury, we make that up next year by having him cheap.  This was the Lackey deal when he signed with the Red Sox and they were concerned about his arm.  They were right and he had to sit a year, so they got an option year at MLB minimum at the end. Made him valuable in trade.

I think I let Suero and maybe Stevenson go to arbitration at those prices.  That lets the team cut them in the spring with a couple of weeks left and not get stuck with full season pay.  Maybe I let Voth go at $1MM. 

Fedde at $1.9MM seems high.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Kevin Long to Philly.

I remain ambivalent about the impact of coaches in baseball, but I don't like losing a coach who seemed to be a Juan Soto favorite.

Offline HondoKillebrew

Long gone:  "Can confirm that Kevin Long is joining Joe Girardi's staff in Philadelphia (as a hitting coach)."

https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1447633767011524612

Offline HondoKillebrew

Kevin Long to Philly.

I remain ambivalent about the impact of coaches in baseball, but I don't like losing a coach who seemed to be a Juan Soto favorite.

I don't like this at all. 

Offline imref

Long gone:  "Can confirm that Kevin Long is joining Joe Girardi's staff in Philadelphia (as a hitting coach)."

https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1447633767011524612

Not good news at all. Girardi is reuniting his NYY staff.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I really don't see any of those who I would say "take a hike" at those prices. 

Ross I may be inclined to do a 2 year deal where his base for this year may be $3MM but the team has a $1MM option for next season only if he pitches fewer than 50 innings.  That way, if he is out most of the year due to injury, we make that up next year by having him cheap.  This was the Lackey deal when he signed with the Red Sox and they were concerned about his arm.  They were right and he had to sit a year, so they got an option year at MLB minimum at the end. Made him valuable in trade.

I think I let Suero and maybe Stevenson go to arbitration at those prices.  That lets the team cut them in the spring with a couple of weeks left and not get stuck with full season pay.  Maybe I let Voth go at $1MM. 

Fedde at $1.9MM seems high.

If you're thinking of cutting a guy based on a couple hundred thousand difference in arbitration, you should probably think about non-tendering him and using the 40-man spot for someone more productive.

Offline UMDNats

Long is tight with Girardi and Thomson so not really surprised but definitely a huge loss. Tells me he thinks this team is gonna stink next year and would rather be with a staff he knows well on a team that is still (in theory) competing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
If you're thinking of cutting a guy based on a couple hundred thousand difference in arbitration, you should probably think about non-tendering him and using the 40-man spot for someone more productive.
i suppose so. I look at more than a few guys as "small loss" if they are cut, but not really over priced. Fedde strikes me as too high, and Ross has the injury factor.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Long is in for a disappointment. At least with us we’re re either good or bad and it seems clear.  The Phillies are always just a clusterfreak of an organization.  He will get no rings with them.  Nats will have more playoff teams over the next ten years than the phils

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
going back on this again: guys like Suero, Stevenson, and Voth, I might non-tender and offer a minor league contract at similar money, and let them try to find an mlb deal.  Tbh, I think someone might sign Voth to an mlb deal at a bit less money. He can hold a back of the pen multi inning role. He got into trouble when pushed for a higher lev role

Offline HondoKillebrew

Long is tight with Girardi and Thomson so not really surprised but definitely a huge loss. Tells me he thinks this team is gonna stink next year and would rather be with a staff he knows well on a team that is still (in theory) competing.

I'd just like to know whether the team wanted to keep him or if it became an issue of being outbid by a division rival.  Reminds me of letting Maddox walk. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'd just like to know whether the team wanted to keep him or if it became an issue of being outbid by a division rival.  Reminds me of letting Maddox walk. 
they made him an offer but he refused

Offline HondoKillebrew

I wonder if it was a truly competitive offer.  In any event, not good to lose top coaches. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Was it on the back of a napkin and left in his locker?

Offline aspenbubba

Not the way I remenber it. Wasn't he a possible candidate for manager but they hired Davey and Maddox went to the Cards before the deal with Davey was complete. I believe losing Long will be as harmful to the franchise as losing Maddux.

Offline Slateman

Not the way I remenber it. Wasn't he a possible candidate for manager but they hired Davey and Maddox went to the Cards before the deal with Davey was complete. I believe losing Long will be as harmful to the franchise as losing Maddux.
Except Maddux is nothing special as a pitching coach

Offline imref

Zuck suggests Long wanted a multi year deal.