Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 38507 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Are we ignoring the fact that gray was a top 50 prospect before debuting?  Because this package is for sure bette Ethan the bassit package
Montas is also a better pitcher and has two seasons of control

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Montas is also a better pitcher and has two seasons of control

Bassit is better.  He’s been better for longer.  The service time part is accurate though

Online Slateman

Bassit is better.  He’s been better for longer.  The service time part is accurate though
The last three years of WAR say otherwise: https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=10&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=&startdate=&enddate=

Montas is quantifably better, his numbers translate better out of Oakland, he's younger, and has two seasons of control

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
The last three years of WAR say otherwise: https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=10&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=&startdate=&enddate=

Montas is quantifably better, his numbers translate better out of Oakland, he's younger, and has two seasons of control

Fair enough, I stand corrected

Online Slateman

I'll say it again, we are a PERFECT match for San Diego looking to dump Hosmer. Tatis is out 3 months and will likely need more time after to get his power back. If they get Suzuki, they solidify the outfield, which leaves first base as a huge hole. Freeing up Hosmer's money gives them a ton of flexibility.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I'll say it again, we are a PERFECT match for San Diego looking to dump Hosmer. Tatis is out 3 months and will likely need more time after to get his power back. If they get Suzuki, they solidify the outfield, which leaves first base as a huge hole. Freeing up Hosmer's money gives them a ton of flexibility.

Pitiful thing is I typed up a post applauding eating sin money for prospects, then remembered I want them to save pennies for Soto.

A sad existence.

Online Slateman

Pitiful thing is I typed up a post applauding eating sin money for prospects, then remembered I want them to save pennies for Soto.

A sad existence.
Plenty of money to spend.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
There’s also the reality of hosmer salary dropping from $21,000,000 this year to $13,000,000 each of the following three years.  That means if he turns it around he becomes either a bargain or suddenly a trade piece with some value. 

He was good over 38 games in the shortened season

Online Slateman

Pads didnt get Suzuki. Now they need money for an OFer.

Cmon Rizzo. Hosmer, Pomeranz, Hassel, and Paddack for Josh Bell and maybe anothet piece

Offline madj55

The longer Story and Correa sit out there the more I delude myself into thinking the Nats will try and sign them.

Just not loving the idea of Luis Garcia or Alcides Escobar or Ehire Adrianza at SS.

Online Slateman

The longer Story and Correa sit out there the more I delude myself into thinking the Nats will try and sign them.

Just not loving the idea of Luis Garcia or Alcides Escobar or Ehire Adrianza at SS.
I stop going to Nats games all together and likely cancel my cable if Correa signs with the Nats

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm reading through a Tim Dierkes chat right now on MLBTR.  He mentioned a quirk in the new player agreement that says that AAV for tax purposes gets adjusted at the time of a trade to what is owed over the remaining years of the contract.  He mentions it in the context of Kiermaier, who apparently is owed $14 million for 2022 when his AAV has been $8.3 million.  W/r/t Hosmer, I wonder if the adjustment can go the other way - adjusted down if the remaining years are lower than the AAV?

Oh, he also said he had thought Greinke made sense for the Nats, as would Tyler Anderson.  Talks about trading for Odorizzi too.  I just don't see 800+ innings from starters on this staff without a more reliable arm.

Online Slateman

I'm reading through a Tim Dierkes chat right now on MLBTR.  He mentioned a quirk in the new player agreement that says that AAV for tax purposes gets adjusted at the time of a trade to what is owed over the remaining years of the contract.  He mentions it in the context of Kiermaier, who apparently is owed $14 million for 2022 when his AAV has been $8.3 million.  W/r/t Hosmer, I wonder if the adjustment can go the other way - adjusted down if the remaining years are lower than the AAV?

Oh, he also said he had thought Greinke made sense for the Nats, as would Tyler Anderson.  Talks about trading for Odorizzi too.  I just don't see 800+ innings from starters on this staff without a more reliable arm.
If I understand it right, Hosmer's luxury tax hit would be 14.75.

This year is 20 million, then three player option years at 13million a piece

Offline Section214

I could definitely see going out and getting Anderson and Odorizzi to round out the rotation. Those guys as your 4-5 is less scary than banking on Espino/Adon/Cavalli or any other prospect.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I stop going to Nats games all together and likely cancel my cable if Correa signs with the Nats

We all have our limits. I agree with you on this one.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
We all have our limits. I agree with you on this one.
you wonder if the Nats get just how unpopular a move that would be after letting Rendon walk, jettisoning Turner, and not closing a deal on Soto.   OTOH, I'd love Story or Castellanos.

Story, Anderson, and Tepera.  Gonna guess that can be done for < $40 million this year. DO IT RIZZO!!!

Offline DPMOmaha

The level of Correa hate on here is interesting to me.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

I mean he was a d bag about the cheating scandal coverage.  At the same time, if we sign him, when he hits his first home run I’ll cheer the crap outta him.  As long as signing him doesn’t prevent us from signing Soto.  Ima Lao drunk as crap cuz I jus got dumped so sorry if illegible I don’t feel like checking

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Tepera off the board.  Ended up signing with the Angels for 2 years, $7 Million AAV. That's a bit more than I thought he'd go for.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline DPMOmaha

I mean he was a d bag about the cheating scandal coverage.  At the same time, if we sign him, when he hits his first home run I’ll cheer the crap outta him.  As long as signing him doesn’t prevent us from signing Soto.  Ima Lao drunk as crap cuz I jus got dumped so sorry if illegible I don’t feel like checking
That stinks. Sorry, Zim. Don't drive anywhere.

Online Five Banners

Not only were there Black Sox-level antics in which he was involved, but what he had to say when people like Bellinger and Kurt commented on things seemed to put things even further over the top. His act like the rest of the crew needs to play out somewhere else.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

1.  Sorry bout the dumping.  Sucks.
2.  Hope your head feels alright this morning.
3.  You were right about Correa.

Offline madj55

Kieboom just got scratched from the lineup of the Spring Opener. Could be nothing, could be something.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/dodgers-to-sign-tyler-anderson.html

Just 1 year, $8 million.  I take it from this that there will be no more starting pitching signings for MLB contracts.  Coudl have really used his innings.