Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 37785 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Rumor in Chicago is that the Phillies may be willing to take on Kimbrel.

Just for craps and giggles they should offer him back to the Cubs for what they traded, then wait for the laugher to subside.  Then offer him back to the Cubs for any single piece of what they traded to get him.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Adrian Sanchez and RHP Victor Arano signed to minor league deals

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Adrian Sanchez and RHP Victor Arano signed to minor league deals

Arano actually has really solid numbers, is still young, and still has multiple years of team control

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/aranovi01.shtml

Offline Natsinpwc

Arano actually has really solid numbers, is still young, and still has multiple years of team control

He had elbow surgery in 2019 I believe and took a long time to come back at all.  Ended up with the Brave organization last year. Low risk possible bounce back guy.

Online imref

Steven Fuentes re-signs

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Giants put Alex Dickerson on release waivers.  Had an ops+ in the 150s in the short 2020 season.  Career .480 slugging against righties.  Could be a nice complement to Robles and Thomas in the OF

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

I guess he's burned 2 options already, but with minor league signings last year and this, he'd not burn anything until his next call up and return to minors.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Giants put Alex Dickerson on release waivers.  Had an ops+ in the 150s in the short 2020 season.  Career .480 slugging against righties.  Could be a nice complement to Robles and Thomas in the OF

He's not a bad punt for free, but he couldn't play next to anyone except Robles.  He's an awful outfielder.

Offline madj55

Canha and Escobar were pieces the Nats could’ve realistically targeted. Mets likely won’t try to re-sign Villar now so can see him landing in DC now.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Canha and Escobar were pieces the Nats could’ve realistically targeted. Mets likely won’t try to re-sign Villar now so can see him landing in DC now.

Both will be 33 next season. What exactly do we gain by having them on multi-year deals?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Both will be 33 next season. What exactly do we gain by having them on multi-year deals?

It’s not like either was expensive.  If they have a good first half they could be flipped at the deadline.  Teams would value that extra year of control

Online Slateman

It’s not like either was expensive.  If they have a good first half they could be flipped at the deadline.  Teams would value that extra year of control
Generally teams dont value the last year of a free agent deal. Particularly for players in their mid 30s

Offline madj55

I said we could have realistically targeted them - I would’ve signed them both to a one year deal with a mutual option for the next season a la Schwarber but they seem to have gotten good deals towards the ceilings of their projected earnings. 

Online Slateman

I said we could have realistically targeted them - I would’ve signed them both to a one year deal with a mutual option for the next season a la Schwarber but they seem to have gotten good deals towards the ceilings of their projected earnings. 
Thats not realistically targetting them. Schwarber was coming off a terrible year.

Offline Natsinpwc

Thats not realistically targetting them. Schwarber was coming off a terrible year.
You previously said 2020 did not count. Make up your mind.  :hysterical:

Online Slateman

You previously said 2020 did not count. Make up your mind.  :hysterical:
It doesnt. Schwarber was rssentially cut.

A one year deal with options isnt a realistic offer for two guys on their final contract. We needed to offer multi year deals for more money, seeing as how this is essentially a 100 loss team

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Right or wrong, it is pretty clear the strategy is not to go after anyone early and hard. Compare it to the Schwarber and Bell moves for timing. I think Harrison was early too. The Nats will sit to the end of the signing time, see who is left, and offer 1 year landing spots, with the hope that some pan out enough to be moved at the deadline.

I don't see them signing any non-Nat for more than 1 year. No trying to line up a longer term side kick to Soto in the lineup. At most, a Lester-type deal for a declining starter or a guy with good stuff who has shown flashes (Bundy). Pen will be bodies, not guys with a decent body of work.

The win count doesn't matter as they wait for more internal development.

Online imref

Rainey, Voth, Ryne Harper, and Stevenson qualify for arbitration. Other than Rainey i assume all are non-tender candidates

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Rainey, Voth, Ryne Harper, and Stevenson qualify for arbitration. Other than Rainey i assume all are non-tender candidates

If they were going to be non-tendered, wouldn't they have been DFA already to clear room on the 40 man for more guys to protect from Rule 5? 

The only reason to do otherwise would be to nickel and dime those guys, and none of them is really consequential in salary terms.

Offline hotshot

Right or wrong, it is pretty clear the strategy is not to go after anyone early and hard. Compare it to the Schwarber and Bell moves for timing. I think Harrison was early too. The Nats will sit to the end of the signing time, see who is left, and offer 1 year landing spots, with the hope that some pan out enough to be moved at the deadline.

I don't see them signing any non-Nat for more than 1 year. No trying to line up a longer term side kick to Soto in the lineup. At most, a Lester-type deal for a declining starter or a guy with good stuff who has shown flashes (Bundy). Pen will be bodies, not guys with a decent body of work.

The win count doesn't matter as they wait for more internal development.

Bundy has "shown flashes?" News to me but I'll take your word for it. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Harper gets tendered.  Voth maybe.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Bundy has "shown flashes?" News to me but I'll take your word for it. 
2020. Granted, just 11 starts, but a flash.  2019 was fine for a back end guy. Figure him around a 4.5 ERA with any sort of bounce back and just league average HR performance. 

Online imref

If they were going to be non-tendered, wouldn't they have been DFA already to clear room on the 40 man for more guys to protect from Rule 5? 

The only reason to do otherwise would be to nickel and dime those guys, and none of them is really consequential in salary terms.

the league just set the cutoff for Super-2 at 2 years / 116 days.  MLB TR notes service time for all four: Ryne Harper (2 years, 135 days), Austin Voth (2 years, 127 days), Tanner Rainey (2 years, 127 days) and Andrew Stevenson (2 years, 125 days)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Super!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

the league just set the cutoff for Super-2 at 2 years / 116 days.  MLB TR notes service time for all four: Ryne Harper (2 years, 135 days), Austin Voth (2 years, 127 days), Tanner Rainey (2 years, 127 days) and Andrew Stevenson (2 years, 125 days)

Good lord.  Non-tender all of them except Rainey. Especially Stevenson.  Don't just non-tender him, beat him with a meat tenderizer until he's fit to go on the grill at Outback.

(But seriously, thanks for filling in the analytical gap there.)