Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 38899 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Turner was coming off what, a $13MM year where he was the top fWAR guy in the NL and due a 4th year arbitration award?  Pencil him in for $18 - 20 million for 2022 barring a significant lowering of the Comp Balance Tax threshold.  I believe it was Fangraphs that projected Story getting a 5 year deal at $23MM AAV. If those numbers are anywhere near correct, getting the LAD to give you Ruiz in the deal makes it a very reasonable course to move Turner and sign a backfilling contract like the one suggested for Story.

edit - it's Ben Clemens on FG who estimated $23MM AAV, 5 years for Story.  Crowd had 6 years $25MM median.  I would do it for the lower number if Story can be signed for that due to the glut.

I'd sign Story to that, too.  But there's a hell of a difference between 5/115 and 6/150, and my gut is that the latter is closer.  He's only going to be 29 next season.  I think he'd probably even sign a one-year rather than do the lower one.  Glut, yes, but consider that Manny Machado's making $30 million a year for his age 29-34 seasons (with two more after that at the same rate) and there's 6% inflation. 

Machado is better, yes, but is he THAT much better?  My bet is that at least 1 GM answers that in the negative, and one is all it takes.