Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 38474 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'd target the rebound hopefuls (Heaney, Lorenzen, maybe Archer figuring we'll hit on one of the TOS guys), and maybe Rich Hill or another older vet who actually is performing rather than rebounding.  Nervous about Alex Wood on any longer contract. 
More than likely. Could add Matz or Bundy to that list.

Ideally, Eduardo Rodriguez doesnt get a QO. He's young enough that he would be a solid number 2 in this rotation in two to three years

This is priority #1.  Probably need 2 of these guys, but I'll settle for one.  Corbin has a slot in the rotation as well as Gray. the Nats have to have a viable #6 who can swing into the rotation in case Strasburg can't pitch, but if Strasburg can pitch, he has another slot in the rotation.  They seem to think Ross will be available to pitch and avoid UCL surgery, so maybe pencil him in for a slot as well at the start of the year. 

As for the bullpen, beats the heck out of me how you fix it.  There's very few relievers I think that have the track record to make you feel comfortable to throw even Harris money at them (3 years, $24MM), let alone $15MM+ AAV over multiple years.  OTOH, the fixes seem to come from nowhere.  TB and Houston are good examples.  The Houston bullpen going to the World Series is a almost a complete revamp of the one that went in 2019 (except Pressly), and it's not a high cost bullpen. Pressly was a big time act of faith when he was acquired in 2018 at the deadline and then given a 3 yearextension (with an option).  He is still not making over $9MM a year, and the rest of the relievers all make $2MM or less.  Almost none of their pen came through the system.  My thought about building a bullpen is that it is more scouting and coaching than spending money.