Author Topic: 2021 MLB playoffs - Watch other teams play  (Read 15458 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: 2021 MLB playoffs - Watch other teams play
« Reply #575: October 22, 2021, 08:28:44 PM »
Red Sox have had some ugly defense in key spots of this series.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #576: October 22, 2021, 08:31:52 PM »
Red Sox have had some ugly defense in key spots of this series.
I would like to see the % of the time that a ball hit like the dropped fly double is turned into an out. Not saying it was not routine or that was hard, just I am curious what bucket it is in

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #577: October 22, 2021, 08:44:23 PM »
I would like to see the % of the time that a ball hit like the dropped fly double is turned into an out. Not saying it was not routine or that was hard, just I am curious what bucket it is in
I don't know if that's the right question.  I always think team defense is a thing.  If you have a team with Schwarber and Kike in the lineup, then you are hoping Schwarber makes the routine plays, and Kike makes the plays he's capable of.  When neither make those plays in key spots, it hurts your chances to win.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #578: October 22, 2021, 10:10:14 PM »
Crazy park. Schwarber hits a fly to the cf side of the kink in the wall, then Hernandez crushes one off a pillar

Of course, Fenway is crazy too, but at least its dimensions are due to the street configuration and not a decision to put in gimmicks like Tal's hill(thankfully gone)..

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #579: October 22, 2021, 10:13:18 PM »

This Alvarez cat is really swingin' the bat...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #580: October 22, 2021, 10:16:35 PM »
Crazy park. Schwarber hits a fly to the cf side of the kink in the wall, then Hernandez crushes one off a pillar

Of course, Fenway is crazy too, but at least its dimensions are due to the street configuration and not a decision to put in gimmicks like Tal's hill(thankfully gone)..

Is there anywhere in/around Boston that they could build a modern Park?  Any discussions about leaving town like the Pats did?  I mean...I would think that one or the other has to happen eventually...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #581: October 22, 2021, 10:19:32 PM »
I feel good when Correa gets hit. Does that make me bad?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #582: October 22, 2021, 10:20:06 PM »
Is there anywhere in/around Boston that they could build a modern Park?  Any discussions about leaving town like the Pats did?  I mean...I would think that one or the other has to happen eventually...
Plenty of sections of Southie they could level.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #583: October 22, 2021, 10:24:53 PM »

I actually foresaw a DP like that happening several days ago, only the runner on first just stood on the bag and didn't jump off like Correa did...

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #584: October 22, 2021, 10:26:45 PM »
Fenway, Wrigley, Dodger stadium are the life blood of baseball.  Quirky dimensions aren't a negative at all.  Weird pillars blocking home plate from your seat made for when American men were 5'6 is an issue, but it's still worth the experience.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #585: October 22, 2021, 10:31:21 PM »
Fenway, Wrigley, Dodger stadium are the life blood of baseball.  Quirky dimensions aren't a negative at all.  Weird pillars blocking home plate from your seat made for when American men were 5'6 is an issue, but it's still worth the experience.

The baseball fans who may enjoy the experience are getting older...I wouldn't think the younger kids could care one whit about nostalgia.  These old Parks have all outgrown their economic lifespans by some measure...

FWIW...I don't care for Wrigley or Fenway...haven't been to Chavez Ravine...

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #586: October 22, 2021, 10:33:55 PM »

The hill lost its charm when they ditched the flag pole. 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #587: October 22, 2021, 10:39:40 PM »
The baseball fans who may enjoy the experience are getting older...I wouldn't think the younger kids could care one whit about nostalgia.  These old Parks have all outgrown their economic lifespans by some measure...
No way.  The kids who like baseball all love that stuff.  My son played on a 14u travel team this year, and visiting those stadiums would be a dream to nearly all of them.  Fenway looks exotic on TV too, which definitely helps the allure.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #588: October 22, 2021, 10:44:49 PM »
Boston used up all their hits in Games 2 & 3

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #589: October 22, 2021, 10:46:33 PM »
No way.  The kids who like baseball all love that stuff.  My son played on a 14u travel team this year, and visiting those stadiums would be a dream to nearly all of them.  Fenway looks exotic on TV too, which definitely helps the allure.

I like to visit a lot of places that I wouldn't care to live.  At some point, season ticket holders are gonna want unobstructed views and modern conveniences...and these relics crumble to the ground...

If they build a new, modern park in Boston, I'm guessing that your 14 your old would like it as well...

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #590: October 22, 2021, 10:46:45 PM »
Max Scherzer has been scratched from his start tomorrow night.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #591: October 22, 2021, 10:47:19 PM »
I actually foresaw a DP like that happening several days ago, only the runner on first just stood on the bag and didn't jump off like Correa did...
Did you dream about on board a pirate ship?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #592: October 22, 2021, 10:48:32 PM »
Max Scherzer has been scratched from his start tomorrow night.
That's too bad, but could see that developing.  His arm?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #593: October 22, 2021, 10:48:58 PM »
no discussion of a new park

. There were 2 proposals in the late 90s early 2000s. One was an offer to build in the seaport area by the real estate guy who eventually bought the Dodgers and almost ran them into the ground.  O'Donnell? He was bidding for the team and the land was part of the bid.

The Yawkey Trust made a deal with the legislature where the trust would build on 15 acres they owned across from the park and the state would build some things like garages. There might have been some other takings. At any rate, the state insisted on enough covenants to cover what it was financing that no bank would make construction loans needed for the buildout

. The plan was put on hold, and the Henry Lycchino Otten group eventually bought the team. Lucchino had workedwith Jean Marie Smith from HOK in Camden Yards and San Diego. The owners brought her in and she said she could add about 6000 seats, modernize the facilities, and not lose the feel of the park. So, they had about a 10 year plan to modernize the place, first enhancing the structure, then redoing the area behind the plate, adding the wall seats, and putting inthe seats on the top level down the lines.

Henry says they can play there 50 more years

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #594: October 22, 2021, 10:49:02 PM »
Did you dream about on board a pirate ship?

No, but I did buy mushrooms at Publix today...two jars as a matter of fact.  I was inspired...  ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #595: October 22, 2021, 10:49:18 PM »
Declared dead.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #596: October 22, 2021, 10:49:48 PM »
I feel good when Correa gets hit. Does that make me bad?
I am so with you on this

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #597: October 22, 2021, 10:50:13 PM »
No, but I did buy mushrooms at Publix today...two jars as a matter of fact.  I was inspired...  ;)
I recommend Peyote buttons.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #598: October 22, 2021, 10:51:02 PM »

Arm fatigue, yeah. I don’t think this is shocking at all given his history.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #599: October 22, 2021, 10:52:25 PM »
no discussion of a new park. There were 2 proposals in the late 90s early 2000s. One was an offer to build in the seaport area by the real estate guy who eventually bought the Dodgers and almost ran them into the ground.  O'Donnell? He was bidding for the team and the land was part of the bid. The Yawkey Trust made a deal with the legislature where the trust would build on 15 acres they owned across from the park and the state would build some things like garages. There might have been some other takings. At any rate, the state insisted on enough covenants to cover what it was financing that no bank would make construction loans needed for the buildout. The plan was put on hold, and the Henry Lycchino Otten group eventually bought the team. Lucchino had workedwith Jean Marie Smith from HOK in Camden Yards and San Diego. The owners brought her in and she said she could add about 6000 seats, modernize the facilities, and not lose the feel of the park. So, they had about a 10 year plan to modernize the place, first enhancing the structure, then redoing the area behind the plate, adding the wall seats, and putting inthe seats on the top level down the lines. Henry says they can play there 50 more years

Good intel...thanks.  Any idea how much of that plan has been executed, and what year they are into that 10 year plan?