Author Topic: 2021 MLB playoffs - Watch other teams play  (Read 15733 times)

Offline Copecwby20

Re: 2021 MLB playoffs - Watch other teams play
« Reply #625: October 24, 2021, 01:32:45 AM »
I got a ticket for game four in Atlanta for the low low price of $1,300.

As much as I hate the Braves, you better believe I’m gonna boo the freak out of the Astros.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #626: October 24, 2021, 10:44:17 AM »
Man, AA was a magician at the deadline
he's learning every time he gets fired.  He's come a long way since dealing Michael Morse for Ryan Langerhans.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #627: October 24, 2021, 10:46:57 AM »

As much as I hate the Braves, you better believe I’m gonna boo the freak out of the Astros.
I'm guessing the Atlanta PA guy will play "Bang a Gong" at least once when Altuve / Begman / Correa steps to the plate.

But be sure to give Dusty a golf clap when he pulls his pitcher.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #628: October 24, 2021, 11:13:33 AM »

This is like choosing between a brain tumor or losing a limb. I will go with the Astros for Dusty. Also it will highlight how unfair it was for them to keep their 2017 title. Also would be nice to see Atlanta on hold with one world championship despite all the playoff appearances.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #629: October 24, 2021, 11:14:30 AM »
I'm guessing the Atlanta PA guy will play "Bang a Gong" at least once when Altuve / Begman / Correa steps to the plate.

But be sure to give Dusty a golf clap when he pulls his pitcher.
I heard Brian McCann will throw out the first ball at game one while reading the unwritten rules. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #630: October 24, 2021, 11:16:23 AM »
he's learning every time he gets fired.  He's come a long way since dealing Michael Morse for Ryan Langerhans.
Top 3 GM in baseball

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #631: October 24, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »
yet another reason to not think much of Correa as a person.

Asked about Yuli Gurriel in an ALCS media session, Alex Cora shared how the Astros first baseman initially struggled defensively when transitioning to his new position after coming to MLB from Cuba. Cora was Houston’s bench coach at the time, and A.J. Hinch entrusted him to do some early-work with the erstwhile shortstop. Gurriel didn’t like it. As the now-Boston manager explained, Gurriel may have been new to MLB in 2017, but he was also a 33-year-old veteran with a stellar track record.

In an attempt to appease the Sancti Spiritus native, Cora would have Gurriel take ground balls at first base, then move him over to his old position in order that he could “feel great again.” One day, Carlos Correa — then just 22 years old — was taking ground balls alongside the Cuban legend at short.

“He was making fun of Yuli,” recalled Cora. “When we finished, I pulled Carlos aside and said, ‘Hey, listen. I know you’re good, I know you’re talented, but when Yuli was your age he was a lot better than you. The whole industry wanted him, so don’t. I get it, but this guy was amazing.”
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-tyler-glasnow-once-threw-a-three-finger-fastball/

I'd love to see signs of some personal growth since then.  Feel free to post if you can find an inkling.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #632: October 24, 2021, 11:38:50 AM »
Top 3 GM in baseball
to say he's run circles around Dombrowski, Rizzo, and the Mets the past few years is an understatement.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #633: October 24, 2021, 11:51:10 AM »
This is like choosing between a brain tumor or losing a limb. I will go with the Astros for Dusty. Also it will highlight how unfair it was for them to keep their 2017 title. Also would be nice to see Atlanta on hold with one world championship despite all the playoff appearances.

I'm for Dusty too.  He was my second favorite Nats manager, and deserves a WS victory. 

Between the Braves being a division arch rival and them having the most obnoxious fans (well, maybe tied with the Phillies' fans), I'm always about the Braves losing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #634: October 24, 2021, 12:02:20 PM »
Nice article on the pace of play.  I couldn't find a thread on watching paint dry or prolonged dental surgery, so I figured I'd post it here.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2203967/why-postseason-baseball-games-are-growing-interminable

3 points in the article jump out:
1) not only in post-season, but in regular season too hitters step out of the box much more now than they did even in the mid-90s, and each time they step out, it averages about 12.5 seconds.  Do it a 190 times, as mentioned in the article, it racks up.
2) Fouls are exploding.  In recent years, the number of fouls have exceeded balls in play for the first time since records started being kept in 1988.
3) Numbers of pitchers being used.  Relievers work slower than starters, and each pitching change adds time for the mound visit, etc...  Ths is true despite the 3 batter minimum.  Each additional pitcher tacks on about 10 minutes a game.

Regular season games averaged 3:11 this year, a record.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #635: October 24, 2021, 12:57:51 PM »
I'm for Dusty too.  He was my second favorite Nats manager, and deserves a WS victory. 

Between the Braves being a division arch rival and them having the most obnoxious fans (well, maybe tied with the Phillies' fans), I'm always about the Braves losing.
“Good ole Dusty” chose to be a front man for cheaters. That is why they hired him. He is a butt-kissing fraud.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #636: October 24, 2021, 01:08:09 PM »
3 points in the article jump out:
1) not only in post-season, but in regular season too hitters step out of the box much more now than they did even in the mid-90s, and each time they step out, it averages about 12.5 seconds.  Do it a 190 times, as mentioned in the article, it racks up.
2) Fouls are exploding.  In recent years, the number of fouls have exceeded balls in play for the first time since records started being kept in 1988.
3) Numbers of pitchers being used.  Relievers work slower than starters, and each pitching change adds time for the mound visit, etc...  Ths is true despite the 3 batter minimum.  Each additional pitcher tacks on about 10 minutes a game.

Regular season games averaged 3:11 this year, a record.

1) Stepping out of the box was prescribed as part of the hitting approach routine of attempts to reset the brain after each pitch; the more seconds they can get for that, the better

2) Another hitting approach in the era of the fireballer, though that seems a legitimate part of gamesmanship rather than the between-pitch bids for time of stepping out and adjusting gloves. Making the batter have to step back in quickly after a foul often doesn’t seem to be that much of a priority, so they could tweak that at least.

3) Legit gamesmanship from the manager’s side. Not surprised that the ridiculous three batter rule change didn’t reportedly have that big of an impact. As was discussed at the time, giving the manager a set time for the pitcher to come in and be ready would seem to be the way to go.

If that means they’ve got to get in the lion’s share of warm-up pitches through the bullpen and then either have the bullpen cart turbo-charged or have the pitchers due to come in and warm up in fair ground as they do in spring training, so be it.

Offline blue911

« Reply #637: October 24, 2021, 05:40:59 PM »
John Coppolello was banned for life, the Braves have no moral high ground.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #638: October 24, 2021, 07:55:53 PM »
I'll watch it because it's the WS...but it's pretty hard to manufacture even the tiniest scintilla of enthusiasm for either team, Dusty notwithstanding. 

So, "yay baseball!" I suppose. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #639: October 24, 2021, 08:13:07 PM »
Is it possible that Dave Roberts is not a genius? That the Dodgers are not the unbeatable modern version of the 1950s Yankees? That for all of LA's depth, they (mis-) managed three fine starters into broken pulp at the direction of the Dodgers' supremo "analytics" department? Wowie and zowie, how did Davey Martinez manage four wins from just Scherzer and Strasburg, while using Corbin as a long reliever, but never jerking Sanchez, Ross, Strasburg, and Scherzer like they were yo-yo's...Howie did it?

How did the four-layers-deep Dodgers fail to have a centerfielder? Why did they crack apart when Max Muncy and old Justin Turner got hurt?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/24/dodgers-squander-talent/

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #640: October 24, 2021, 08:23:20 PM »
Is it possible that Dave Roberts is not a genius? That the Dodgers are not the unbeatable modern version of the 1950s Yankees? That for all of LA's depth, they (mis-) managed three fine starters into broken pulp at the direction of the Dodgers' supremo "analytics" department? Wowie and zowie, how did Davey Martinez manage four wins from just Scherzer and Strasburg, while using Corbin as a long reliever, but never jerking Sanchez, Ross, Strasburg, and Scherzer like they were yo-yo's...Howie did it?

How did the four-layers-deep Dodgers fail to have a centerfielder? Why did they crack apart when Max Muncy and old Justin Turner got hurt?

Not a Roberts fan or a Dodgers fan. Happy to see them lose. However having Kershaw out is like if the Nats had lost Anibal Sanchez before the playoffs. And missing Muncy and Turner is like the Nats losing Rendon and Zimmerman in 2019.  It’s not easy to overcome injuries to some of your best players.  They will be in the mix again next year.   

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #641: October 24, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »

And when Trea Turner decided to crap the bed. And when Mookie Betts decided to stop hitting.

Not sure how Dave Roberts is supposed to manage around his best hitter going ice cold, his third best hitter (and MVP candidate) getting hurt, your fifth best hitter and 300+ million superstar slumping, and your team leader and 127 wRC+ hitter trying to play through an injury.

Also, Martinez had a huge advantage in the NLCS in being able to start his number 4 starter, after all of his premium guys were fried in the NLDS.

Sure, Roberts could have done things differently. But dont confuse the Dodgers' team that just lost with the team that came into the last week of September with 100 wins

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #642: October 24, 2021, 09:59:52 PM »
And when Trea Turner decided to crap the bed. And when Mookie Betts decided to stop hitting.

Not sure how Dave Roberts is supposed to manage around his best hitter going ice cold, his third best hitter (and MVP candidate) getting hurt, your fifth best hitter and 300+ million superstar slumping, and your team leader and 127 wRC+ hitter trying to play through an injury.

Also, Martinez had a huge advantage in the NLCS in being able to start his number 4 starter, after all of his premium guys were fried in the NLDS.

Sure, Roberts could have done things differently. But dont confuse the Dodgers' team that just lost with the team that came into the last week of September with 100 wins
It was actually impressive that they beat the Giants without Muncy and Kershaw and Turner hurting.  And Max apparently having a dead arm.  He fell behind the Giants in that series and had to make some moves that caught up with them.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #643: October 25, 2021, 08:59:16 AM »
It was actually impressive that they beat the Giants without Muncy and Kershaw and Turner hurting.  And Max apparently having a dead arm.  He fell behind the Giants in that series and had to make some moves that caught up with them.
It's interesting to see the philosophy now seems to be to throw everything into winning the game you are in even early in a series.  I'll contrast that to Terry Francona's approach to the 2007 ALCS.  Down 3-1, there was a lot of questioning why he was not bringing back Josh Beckett (his best starter) on short rest for game 5.  He said that the goal was to win the series and advance, which meant winning the next 3 games.  In his view, Beckett was going to go in one of those games, and the game that would give the team the best shot at winning would be to have Beckett start game 6, not game 5.  Contrast that to the use of Buehler. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #644: October 25, 2021, 04:18:24 PM »
I saw earlier that Dusty's first AB came against the Astros when he was an Atlanta Brave.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #645: October 26, 2021, 07:55:14 PM »
So, how many players did you boo during the intros?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #646: October 26, 2021, 08:09:49 PM »
All

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #647: October 26, 2021, 08:12:07 PM »
Can't boo Freddy unless he's playing the Nats.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #648: October 26, 2021, 08:14:23 PM »
Game

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #649: October 26, 2021, 08:16:04 PM »
Bunch of bang bang plays. Almost like a drum or a trash can