Author Topic: 2021 MLB playoffs - Watch other teams play  (Read 14857 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: 2021 MLB playoffs - Watch other teams play
« Reply #450: October 16, 2021, 05:53:05 PM »
Chelsea Janes suggested that Rizzo is outdated in leaning so hard on good starting pitchers who can go deep into games. I'm not sure if the playoffs support or undermine her.

Astros certainly seem to have no aces. Boston's ace, Sale, collapsed. Both teams meandered around with relief pitchers. Giolito was not overpowering. The Dodgers and Giants played low-scoring games, but LA did not have Max or Buehler for Game 5.

What about Eovaldi, though? What if any of the teams had someone as good as a healthy Strasburg? Who can predict how the next relief pitcher will pitch?

Maybe this is where modern baseball is going, but it seems weird.
There is no one way to build a champion. I am not sure the stats but the Dodgers and Giants both had strong starting pitching over the season. As did Milwaukee. As did the Barves in the second half of the year.  Also check out how well the Barves starters did against Milwaukee. I think that teams that try and chase this model will find in a few years that it changes. There are really just not that many good relievers to go around. The Nats problem is that they have all the money tied up in two altar tees who have given them nothing and next to nothing.