Author Topic: Spring Training 2022  (Read 77 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Spring Training 2022
« Topic Start: October 03, 2021, 08:41:58 AM »
If pitchers and catchers do report in February it will be version 2.0 as the past two months has been an expanded version of a normal ST.  I will touch on position players and delve into the relief pitchers while leaving Rizzo and others more knowledgeable than me to build or speculate on our rotation.

First and foremost is to end the Kiebust experiment.  Simply put he does not have the tools to be a starting MLB position player. I would go with Garcia and re-sign Escobar and re-aquire Harrison. I would welcome back Schwarber and release Stevenson and keep Hernandez as our LH 5th OF. Let Thomas and Robles fight for playing time.

I would jettison Baldanado,Nolin,J.Romero, Machado,Clay,Harper, McGowin Guerra and Lobstein. I would send Murphy, Thompson, Klobostis, Avilan and Suero to minor league camp and then Rochester.

After last nights meltdown my hopes for a relief corps of Harris (closer) , Hudson (re-aquired) Rainey and Finnegan took a major hit. The other four RP would consist of one of Voth , Fedde, Rogers, Espino and Avilan. It appears that collectively they cannot get past the 5th inning without giving up multiple runs.

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Spring Training 2022
« Reply #1: October 03, 2021, 09:51:09 AM »
If pitchers and catchers do report in February it will be version 2.0 as the past two months has been an expanded version of a normal ST.  I will touch on position players and delve into the relief pitchers while leaving Rizzo and others more knowledgeable than me to build or speculate on our rotation.

First and foremost is to end the Kiebust experiment.  Simply put he does not have the tools to be a starting MLB position player. I would go with Garcia and re-sign Escobar and re-aquire Harrison. I would welcome back Schwarber and release Stevenson and keep Hernandez as our LH 5th OF. Let Thomas and Robles fight for playing time.

I would jettison Baldanado,Nolin,J.Romero, Machado,Clay,Harper, McGowin Guerra and Lobstein. I would send Murphy, Thompson, Klobostis, Avilan and Suero to minor league camp and then Rochester.

After last nights meltdown my hopes for a relief corps of Harris (closer) , Hudson (re-aquired) Rainey and Finnegan took a major hit. The other four RP would consist of one of Voth , Fedde, Rogers, Espino and Avilan. It appears that collectively they cannot get past the 5th inning without giving up multiple runs.
I agree on most of that but reality is Kieboom will have the job at 3B for at least a month or two.  Also a pass on Schwarber.  He will want more money and more than a one year deal.  Big guy who looks like he will be hurt quite a bit.  Not very good in LF or 1B.  Those hamstring issues don't go away.  Would rather see them take a chance on a younger guy with some potential. 

Online welch

• 2019: Won the fight
Re: Spring Training 2022
« Reply #2: October 03, 2021, 07:37:05 PM »

I mostly agree. Fedde does not look like a relief pitcher. As I remember his starts, he crumbles under pressure. While he was always talking to Max after getting pulled, he never seemed able to grit through a bad pitch or with men on base. Machado might improve, although there was a reason he was available...throws hard but sometimes loses control. McGowin was hurt so long ago that it's hard to remember if he was any good. The Clays and the rest ought to help bring respectability to Rochester and Harrisburg. Yes, go get Hudson again. The Padres don't seem to appreciate him, so bring him home.

Kieboom is hopeless. Can't hit and can't field.  Go get Josh Harrison and somebody like him -- another Mercer -- for 3B. Likewise, Escobar can play a decent shortstop and even hit some. Nobody in the minors looks like a major league SS. Maybe Antuna will have a big breakout season at Harrisburg and Rochester, but that's far off.

Repeating myself: spend on a couple of starters to carry the team until Cavalli and Henry and Adon are ready, if they ever are. At least Adon throws hard and his pitches move enough to have stymied Boston today.

OF? Stevenson can field and deserves to become the outfielding version of Adrian Sanchez, Jake Noll, or Kieboom.

If another Schwarber or a 3B version of Schwarber falls out a tree, then the Nats should grab him. In a full season, either Thomas or Robles look like they might hit 20 homers, which would be great for a CF that the Nats already have, but there's nothing wrong with having a power guy like Schwarber. Just better if such a guy could play 3B.

For free agents, take a look at Spotrac: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/