Author Topic: Tampa Bay Rays to release Montreal Rays logo during the ALDS  (Read 709 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Do they rename the team- Montreal rays is just odd

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
And Manfred continues to freak up MLB

Offline Natsinpwc

And Manfred continues to freak up MLB
Why?  TB ownership is trying to force a stadium so they don't have to play in a crappy facility.  Anyway I blame Selig.  Wasn't he the one that had a team placed there?

Online Five Banners

Bronfman the Younger was amongst the Québecois owners who were reportedly refusing to invest in the team versus letting Loria buy them out, then turned around and tried to scare MLB via a RICO lawsuit. If the current commissioner could let them and him back into partnership, that would appear to speak volumes about this particular purveyor of a piece of metal as well as ownership as a whole.

There’s the whole issue of Montreal have enough advertising, business and media market support that will actually have to put money and support behind baseball at a major-league level at today’s prices (not during the time where reportedly, over 20,000 tickets were available in the old stadium for a dollar Canadian).  Of course, if revenue hammocks are extended, the model would work fine. Draw flies and it doesn’t matter; might as well expand to Zagreb. 

Silver lining: Baseball can do everyone a favor and shift all of the Montreal history back there and let the Nationals be the caretaker of Washington baseball history.

Online Five Banners

“The Rays' lease in St. Petersburgh (sp), Florida runs until the end of 2027, so they would need to buy out the lease if they wanted to split time with Montreal before 2028. The sister cities plan would involve building a new stadium in Tampa Bay.”

Don’t think there should be a cent of revenue sharing allowed to the Rays to essentially facilitate such a thing and have it basically subsidized by the rest of the league. I guess the owners can figure that one out, though.

A canny players association might think to cast  that as essentially a default suppression of salaries and use that for gaining negotiation points. That would assume a canny players association still exists and is willing to go to the wall on certain things.

Online Slateman

Why?  TB ownership is trying to force a stadium so they don't have to play in a crappy facility.  Anyway I blame Selig.  Wasn't he the one that had a team placed there?
Splitting  the team is basically a crap sandwich for Rays' players and staff. Are they just going to rent two places and move every year? freaking dumb.

Either force the Rays to move permanently, or expand and give Montreal a team. But this? This just makes every game a road game for the Rays

Offline Natsinpwc

Splitting  the team is basically a crap sandwich for Rays' players and staff. Are they just going to rent two places and move every year? freaking dumb.

Either force the Rays to move permanently, or expand and give Montreal a team. But this? This just makes every game a road game for the Rays
Tampa fields a more than competitive team each year with little fan support and half the salary of the tope spending teams.  Given the quality of their baseball operations, I would not worry too much. 

Also, I think that is the way it's moving.  If the city will not build a stadium the franchise will move. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Tampa Bay MontRAYals.

Online Slateman

Tampa fields a more than competitive team each year with little fan support and half the salary of the tope spending teams.  Given the quality of their baseball operations, I would not worry too much. 

Also, I think that is the way it's moving.  If the city will not build a stadium the franchise will move. 
Then move it. Dont time share it.

Offline Natsinpwc

Then move it. Dont time share it.
Stadium lease does not end until 2027.  It's just like Oakland. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

The X-Rays...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

No worse than Utah Jazz or LA Lakers

Online Slateman

Stadium lease does not end until 2027.  It's just like Oakland. 
Im hearing more of an arguement to reduce the number of games, contract two teams, and move to four game series with the fifth day being a travel/rain day.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

TB has already re-branded the name away from the fish to a sunburst, so it's basically meaningless anyway. Though how much sunshine does Montréal get?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
TB has already re-branded the name away from the fish to a sunburst, so it's basically meaningless anyway. Though how much sunshine does Montréal get?

The average annual amount of sunhours is: 2055 hours

So, about an average of 5 hours and 37 minutes per day...give or take...

Online imref

Bagels would be a good name. Montreal bagels are fantastic (and I say that as a New Yorker)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Really do need Exposfan87 to weigh in.  WWJVD? (What Would Jose Vidro Do?) I also apologize for suggesting an equivalence of Les Rays with Les Expos. 

Speaking of Les, I'm guessing his wife has a physical therapist in Tampa as well as Montreal.  Poor woman needs lots of hands on therapy.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Stupid stupid stupid :smh:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
How would they handle the playoffs?  Tampa only?

I know they had a disastrous experience with the roof on the Olympic stadium, but a retractable roof would seem to make Montreal suitable for a full-season team. 

Online imref

Tampa's system went a combined 454-250 this year, having the best record in the AL, and in their divisions at AAA, High-A, Low-A, and FCL levels.  AA finished 2nd.