Author Topic: Let’s talk about the offense  (Read 388 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Let’s talk about the offense
« Topic Start: September 21, 2021, 11:26:01 PM »
First in the NL in team batting average and hits. Ninth in runs scored. Fewest strikeouts. First in OBP. Fifth in slugging.

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Let’s talk about the offense
« Reply #1: September 22, 2021, 07:47:34 AM »
First in the NL in team batting average and hits. Ninth in runs scored. Fewest strikeouts. First in OBP. Fifth in slugging.
So they are probably about third in OPS but ninth in runs. Not easy to do.

They have had some pleasant surprises at the plate this year. Harrison and Schwarber early. Escobar and Hernandez and Thomas later on. I just don’t think it’s sustainable for some of these guys next year.  Need guys like Kieboom and Garcia to pick it up next year.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #2: September 22, 2021, 08:31:02 AM »
So they are probably about third in OPS but ninth in runs. Not easy to do.

Need guys like Kieboom and Garcia to pick it up next year.

Garcia is trending upwards and Kieboom is trending down. I'll put my money on Garcia for next year.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: September 22, 2021, 08:49:34 AM »
Ruiz looking like the real deal too.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #4: September 22, 2021, 09:41:18 AM »
Garcia is trending upwards and Kieboom is trending down. I'll put my money on Garcia for next year.
I agree. I see Garcia sticking but Hang dog Kieboom looks like he would rather be doing anything but play baseball. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #5: September 22, 2021, 10:05:13 AM »
...Hang dog Kieboom looks like he would rather be doing anything but play baseball.

You have painted the perfect picture...I've thought this for some time but hadn't been able to convey it in words as well as you have done here...

Offline hotshot

« Reply #6: September 22, 2021, 10:10:46 AM »
Soto is at the very top, or right below it, in most every NL offensive category (HRs and RBI are the exceptions). In looking at his 2019 numbers, his Strikeouts are gonna be substantially down and his walks way up. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: September 22, 2021, 10:20:53 AM »
OPS+ of 107, which puts us 6th in baseball and tied with SF for tops in the NL, per B-R.  By wRC+, we are 10th in MLB and 3rd in the NL per fangraphs.  Our problem may be base running, which will shock folks here. Dead last per FG.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: September 22, 2021, 10:25:39 AM »
Soto is at the very top, or right below it, in most every NL offensive category (HRs and RBI are the exceptions). In looking at his 2019 numbers, his Strikeouts are gonna be substantially down and his walks way up.
Even with the terrible record he will get MVP votes.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: September 22, 2021, 10:27:46 AM »
OPS+ of 107, which puts us 6th in baseball and tied with SF for tops in the NL, per B-R.  By wRC+, we are 10th in MLB and 3rd in the NL per fangraphs.  Our problem may be base running, which will shock folks here. Dead last per FG.
23rd in MLB in HRs does not help either.  I know slugging is supposed to account for that but do not think it always does. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: September 22, 2021, 10:30:40 AM »
23rd in MLB in HRs does not help either.  I know slugging is supposed to account for that but do not think it always does. 
22nd in ISO.  That SLG is driven by average, and our average is pretty hollow

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #11: September 22, 2021, 10:31:23 AM »
Eh, we replace Hernandez with Schwarber and its okay.

There is enough offense here to be competitive. The problem is the pitching turned to crap

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: September 22, 2021, 10:35:59 AM »

There is enough offense here to be competitive. The problem is the pitching turned to crap
They need another big bopper next year for sure. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: September 22, 2021, 10:36:44 AM »

I'd go so far to say that the position players under team control for next year look capable of at least MLB average offense. 11th in runs scored from 8/1 to date, 10th in wRC+.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #14: September 22, 2021, 10:57:16 AM »
Some bad luck and more importantly not enough XBH power after Soto and Hernandez.

I don't think the offense is far off from being enough to win the NL East. Small steps forward from Kieboom and Carter, a major league average middle infielder, and perhaps an extra corner OF bat that would be passable as a #5 or #6 hitter, and this offense is pretty good in my book.

My dear Yadiel looks to be a reverse platoon hitter, so it looks like an extra RBH in LF to help protect Soto would be a good add. I don't trust Escobar to repeat this performance, but they should definitely bring him back.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #15: September 22, 2021, 11:28:25 AM »
Some bad luck and more importantly not enough XBH power after Soto and Hernandez.

I don't think the offense is far off from being enough to win the NL East. Small steps forward from Kieboom and Carter, a major league average middle infielder, and perhaps an extra corner OF bat that would be passable as a #5 or #6 hitter, and this offense is pretty good in my book.

My dear Yadiel looks to be a reverse platoon hitter, so it looks like an extra RBH in LF to help protect Soto would be a good add. I don't trust Escobar to repeat this performance, but they should definitely bring him back.

The offense in isolation is fine, but those players also have to play in the field.  And in large part, they suck at it.   That doesn't help the pitching, which is already too weak.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #16: September 22, 2021, 12:58:58 PM »
The Nats need pitching more than they need hitting. The pitching is down to zero. Repeating myself: when Paolo Espino is their only trustworthy starter, a team is in trouble. Josiah Gray is not there yet. The other starters are place-holders. And the bullpen is about as bad as it has been since 2011.

The hitting is not over-powering, and the team needs a third-baseman, just as it has since Rendon left. But the hitting is enough to get by until better hitters come along or until young players improve.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #17: September 22, 2021, 01:21:31 PM »
I think much of next year depends on Bell not having the bad start he did this year. I don’t think he has yet produced a full season yet. Need a big bat also at LF or 3B but I can’t see them spending the money.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #18: September 22, 2021, 01:22:29 PM »
Rogers has been pretty good (for an Orioles dumpster find anyways)
when Paolo Espino is their only trustworthy starter, a team is in trouble. Josiah Gray is not there yet. The other starters are place-holders. And the bullpen is about as bad as it has been since 2011.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: September 22, 2021, 01:34:08 PM »

Not sure why you mention Yadi with 8 dingers in 243 ABs but not Thomas with 6 in 130 or even Kieboom with 6 in 183.  HR every 30 ABs for Yadi and Carter, and every 22 for Thomas.  Garcia is 1 ever 40 (for 5 HRs).  In terms of Isolated Power, Garcia is better than Yadi and Kieboom.