Author Topic: When do the Nationals become competitive in the NL east again?  (Read 2935 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Expensive tires. Hard to see him leaving Atlanta.  Let’s drive up the price.

If there is anyone in Baseball that I'd overpay for, it's this cat...

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
We're arguing whether, when judging whether a trade was good, we should care about whether what matters is what happens only after the trade (G-Dawg, blue corner) or what happened before and after the trade (Santa Claus, red corner). 

Both pugilists seem to hew closely to WAR and ignore the bigger picture: they seem to agree, as the standings make totally unambiguous, that this team sucked before the trade; it sucks more after; and most of the guys traded were leaving anyway after the season finished sucking.

Although both look at the Nats as they were at the trade deadline. The Nats sank throughout July, after Schwarber got hurt, after Castro was dismissed for domestic violence, and after Rainey was hurt and Brad Hand, the prized closer, blew game after game. At no time did Corbin look like a number 3 starter. In July, it also became clear that Strasburg would not return this year. Our new friend from LA seems to have a notion of how the Nats played in June, when they were very good. By the trade deadline, they were 8 games back. The Mets, incidentally, lost about six or eight games in the standings, regained them, and have then lost some. The Mets, note, have more of a pitching staff than the Nats. Hard to see the Nats -- one great starter and a bunch of guys like Fedde -- gaining those 8 games.

If the Nats had kept Max and Trea, Hudson, Harrison and Gomes, they'd have won a few more games. Might well have won every game Max started, and several in which Hudson would have pitched rather than, say, Sam Clay. Still, the Nats had no starting pitchers following Max. Still have no starters, although there is hope for Josiah Gray.

Adding up WAR might not be the right basis for this argument, but the result is about the same.

Offline Natsinpwc

If there is anyone in Baseball that I'd overpay for, it's this cat...
He will get hurt if he comes to DC. And forget how to hit.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Expensive tires. Hard to see him leaving Atlanta.  Let’s drive up the price. 
anybody know how to make him an offer he can't refuse? 

Offline UMDNats

anybody know how to make him an offer he can't refuse? 

mark lerner is gonna slide the offer on a napkin

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

This seems like a favorable outcome when you compare it to the current state of affairs…

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
This seems like a favorable outcome when you compare it to the current state of affairs…
Dunno. Not sure financially crippling the team is worth not having Freeman hit well against us

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
no. You have it all wrong. We will have his legs broken if he doesn't come here. Philly mob doesn't quite get how this works  :smh:

Offline Natsinpwc

no. You have it all wrong. We will have his legs broken if he doesn't come here. Philly mob doesn't quite get how this works  :smh:
It's Freddie.  Not Fredo. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline rileyn

Watching the Braves roll out a guy blowing 100 past us last night was so depressing.  Our system is so bereft of any talent and hope, but it begs the question, what is more to blame for the shortfall?  Poor drafting in terms of player selection or poor player development? 

Offline HalfSmokes

Watching the Braves roll out a guy blowing 100 past us last night was so depressing.  Our system is so bereft of any talent and hope, but it begs the question, what is more to blame for the shortfall?  Poor drafting in terms of player selection or poor player development? 

Either way, the answer is Rizzo.

Offline hotshot

When we get an owner/ownership group that not only will but wants to spend wildly to compete in today's "through the roof" marketplace; and a GM who can find under/off-the-radar guys like Nestor Cortes and Clay Holmes.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Watching the Braves roll out a guy blowing 100 past us last night was so depressing. 

I must admit, I too found myself thinking 'why aren't we finding guys like that?'... ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
this dude was a 4th round pick in 2020, and jumped from low A to the majors in 2021.  Made it to the majors with less than 100 innings in the minors.  #11 on the Braves prospect list in FG in 2021.  ZiPS had him #84 in MLB going into the season.  Had TJ his sophomore year at Clemson. Had been thought of as a reliever until late May.

I'm just floored by how good he was last night.  Dude has struck out half the batters he's faced at every level.  Apparently, devours information about pitching.  An interesting read about knowing how coaching can provide information on things like spin and other metrics to shape pitches.https://blogs.fangraphs.com/atlanta-braves-pitching-prospect-spencer-strider-nerds-out-on-his-arsenal/

Closest comparable might be if Theophile is in the majors by the end of the year.

Offline Slateman

this dude was a 4th round pick in 2020, and jumped from low A to the majors in 2021.  Made it to the majors with less than 100 innings in the minors.  #11 on the Braves prospect list in FG in 2021.  ZiPS had him #84 in MLB going into the season.  Had TJ his sophomore year at Clemson. Had been thought of as a reliever until late May.

I'm just floored by how good he was last night.  Dude has struck out half the batters he's faced at every level.  Apparently, devours information about pitching.  An interesting read about knowing how coaching can provide information on things like spin and other metrics to shape pitches.https://blogs.fangraphs.com/atlanta-braves-pitching-prospect-spencer-strider-nerds-out-on-his-arsenal/

Closest comparable might be if Theophile is in the majors by the end of the year.
We dont have the analytics and coaching staff

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
We dont have the analytics and coaching staff
does make you wonder what we could have done with Fedde or Treinen over the years.  I know he's turned into a frustrating nibbler, but I look at a performance like last night and say the stuff is there to get ahead on everybody and to get out of jams, and he's certainly not getting by on solid D.  You wonder if there's the raw material and the brain for a team with better coaching and analytics to turn him into something  more than a back end, 5th / 6th starter.

Offline Slateman

does make you wonder what we could have done with Fedde or Treinen over the years.  I know he's turned into a frustrating nibbler, but I look at a performance like last night and say the stuff is there to get ahead on everybody and to get out of jams, and he's certainly not getting by on solid D.  You wonder if there's the raw material and the brain for a team with better coaching and analytics to turn him into something  more than a back end, 5th / 6th starter.
But 2019

Offline Chelsea_Phil

Strider was incredibly good last night.  We have no one like him

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Strider was incredibly good last night.  We have no one like him
It's funny.  the evaluation on FG before 2021 was a 50 or 55 on his fastball.  The last thing I saw in FG, on a recent article about the Braves streak, had Langerhagen calling it an 80, but he also called him a one pitch pitcher with a fringey slider.  Makes me wonder how impressionable he is after one look at guy, given the number of guys he has to look at.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
The system is a lot better today than it was 365 days ago. But the state of disrepair it fell into is inexcusable.

And the answer to your question is "both"

Offline Slateman

The system is a lot better today than it was 365 days ago. But the state of disrepair it fell into is inexcusable.

And the answer to your question is "both"
It is? Ruiz and Gray arent in the system. Its not like they added a ton of other talent.

Its a little better. I wouldnt say its a lot.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
It is? Ruiz and Gray arent in the system. Its not like they added a ton of other talent.

Its a little better. I wouldnt say its a lot.
We had the worst Farm System in baseball last year. Low bar to cross. I think any ranking now probably has the Nats in the low 20's, which is a big jump. Still admittedly below average.

At least now there are interesting prospects to follow.

Offline HalfSmokes

We had the worst Farm System in baseball last year. Low bar to cross. I think any ranking now probably has the Nats in the low 20's, which is a big jump. Still admittedly below average.

At least now there are interesting prospects to follow.

When the major league product is atrocious, low 20s is still pathetic.

Offline UMDNats

it says a lot that we have basically 0 prospects in AAA or AA. cavalli & henry and...maybe cronin?