Author Topic: When do the Nationals become competitive in the NL east again?  (Read 2924 times)

Offline dodgersfanb

This team was too dominant in the NL east to become some perennial bottom dwellers like the Orioles or pirates. Orioles fans are just sad to be around.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Many here have said 2023. I think the Nats sign a couple of free agent starting pitcher plus a hitter and they are back in it next year.

They were winning through June of this season when Schwarber got hurt and it became clear that Strasburg needed surgery. That knocked them over as they began a string against the Padres, Dodgers, and Giants. If they had played 50/50 in those three series, then the team would not have traded Scherzer, Turner, Gomes, and the rest. Still would have been hard with only Max Scherzer a sure-fire winner: Corbin has been dismal all year, the young pitchers they expected as 4th and 5th starters spiraling down and crashing. Likely the team would have "bought" more pitching at the trade deadline.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
If strasburg is healthy I think they make a push for next year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I do wonder about COVID impacting Fedde and Voth in particular.  They were looking terrific before missing time and never quite got back into form after being out.  They aren't the only players who've had to deal with it around baseball, and lots seem to do fine afterwards, but there's a few that it seems to throw out of rhythm.

Online Natsinpwc

Problem is they will not know that until at least spring training and maybe later.  Between him and Corbin they are spending like $60 million on the starting staff so I can't see them signing any big name starters.  Look for budget deals. 

Offline Mattionals

I do wonder about COVID impacting Fedde and Voth in particular.  They were looking terrific before missing time and never quite got back into form after being out.  They aren't the only players who've had to deal with it around baseball, and lots seem to do fine afterwards, but there's a few that it seems to throw out of rhythm.

I think it's less COVID and more spider tack with those guys.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

And if I win the lottery I’ll be rich.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
And if I win the lottery I’ll be rich.
honestly, how much worse than 50/50 is his recovery?  Thoracic outlet isn't common for pitchers, but how hard of a surgery is it in terms of biomechanic disruption?

Offline dodgersfanb

37 year old Max throws  8 innings, 13 strikeouts. He is still a Cy young candidate. The Dodgers would be crazy not to re sign Max. Trea turner is a Nl mvp candidate. Schwarber is playing fantastic. Gomes, Harrison playing fantastic. Lester has been a brilliant pick up for the Cardinals.

The Nationals would be leading the NL east now if they hadn't blown up this massively talented team

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
37 year old Max throws  8 innings, 13 strikeouts. He is still a Cy young candidate. The Dodgers would be crazy not to re sign Max. Trea turner is a Nl mvp candidate. Schwarber is playing fantastic. Gomes, Harrison playing fantastic. Lester has been a brilliant pick up for the Cardinals.

The Nationals would be leading the NL east now if they hadn't blown up this massively talented team
we had a horrible July.  Just awful.  It was prudent to bail but yes, it's ugly now.   

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
honestly, how much worse than 50/50 is his recovery?  Thoracic outlet isn't common for pitchers, but how hard of a surgery is it in terms of biomechanic disruption?
Strasburg is done. He could recover 100% from his TOS, and something else would happen.

Offline Slateman

I dont think we'll be competitive until 2026. Thats when Strasburg's contract is over and that will be two years removed from trading Soto for prospects

Online Natsinpwc

Now that made me laugh.  Thank you. 

Offline dodgersfanb

I dont think we'll be competitive until 2026. Thats when Strasburg's contract is over and that will be two years removed from trading Soto for prospects

That is a long time

Offline dodgersfanb

Lol. Why would a Dodger fan, who’s team is in a dogfight for the best record in baseball and is the the most talented team in the league, spend any time registering on a Nationals fam site to write this nonsense?

So what part of this is nonsense? The Nationals were a very talented team before this fiasco

Online Natsinpwc

So what part of this is nonsense? The Nationals were a very talented team before this fiasco
The Nationals were 48-56 on July 31.  That was there record with Trea and Max.  It was clear to everyone that they were going nowhere this year.  Or next.  Just go away for good TurnerBurner. 

Offline Slateman

Maybe he doesnt like LA

Offline dodgersfanb

The Nationals were 48-56 on July 31.  That was there record with Trea and Max.  It was clear to everyone that they were going nowhere this year.  Or next.  Just go away for good TurnerBurner.

And they were  just 8 games back

Offline dodgersfanb

Maybe he doesnt like LA

I was born and raised in brooklyn. Never liked LA

Offline Slateman

And they were  just 8 games back
The point was they weren't winning. 8 games back is insurmountable for a team that cant post a winning record.

I was born and raised in brooklyn. Never liked LA
Well, I don't know if you know this, but thr Dodgers moved to Los Angeles after the 1957 season.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Who was going to pitch for this team? Would we be cloning Scherzer?

Online Natsinpwc

Who was going to pitch for this team? Would we be cloning Scherzer?
Obviously Buelher, Kershaw and Urias after we traded for them.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Personally, I welcome our new member who joined right around the time we were handing 2 soul-crushing losses to the Mets.  I only wish he met Exposfan87, who is in Montreal and not Brooklyn.  They could argue "Jose Vidro vs Trea Turner - who is the more deserving Hall of Famer?"  or "Shake Shack vs In and Out - which has the most comfortable dish sinks for bathing?"

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
If the Nationals want to compete next year, they can. It would be hard, but it can be done.

If they don't try for it next year, they will in 2023 while they have Soto.

People overrate how long it takes to turn around. It takes a bit of luck, but there are always free agents to be had and non-contenders looking to dump players in arbitration. The Josh Harrison, Josh Bell, etc. types are always out there. Pitchers is always available. Just a question if you're willing to take on payroll and risk the chance it won't work out.