Author Topic: When do the Nationals become competitive in the NL east again?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Nothing. None of it is nonsense. Your description, "massively talented team" is right on target. Among the names you mentioned, in addition we gave up our two best relievers.

The team went into a horrendous tailspin late July, with some very embarrassing losses, in particular, we were swept by the Orioles! The timing of that tailspin was unfortunate, every team has one, but we did it at the deadline. And I think  blowing it up was an emotional rather than sensible decision. If the tailspin had been a month earlier we'd have rebounded by the deadline.  And right now we would be enjoying a division race which I think we'd have won, but it wouldn't matter, there would have been exciting baseball for two months, rather than the pitiful garbage we're stuck with.

The bullpen was still bad and they had been swept by the Orioles. Schwarber Had just sustained a bad injury and nats were 8 games out. And you can’t look at this is vacuum. The Nats farm system was bare. The option was, bank on coming back from 8 games back and making a weak playoff run or restocking the farm. I think Rizzo made the right decision. And I never say blow it up.