Author Topic: Victor Robles Triumphant Return to AAA  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Victor Robles Triumphant Return to AAA
« Reply #25: September 17, 2021, 12:15:54 PM »
Besides, Thomas has legitimately earned that spot.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: September 17, 2021, 02:37:42 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/09/16/victor-robles-lane-thomas-nationals-center-field-options/

Mortal combat next spring, but, TBH, if the Nats are satisfied with Thomas, I could easily see Robles getting moved in a trade. I'm pretty sure he has at least one more option, so he's not in a situation where he has to make the team.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #27: September 17, 2021, 02:56:48 PM »
Thomas has won CF, and looks like a real major leaguer, but Robles was supposed to be a star who carries the Nats. In 2018, "experts" admitted that Soto was suprisingly good, but said, "Wait until Robles recovers from the arm injury. He will remind everyone of Willie Mays or the young Barry Bonds". No reason to trade away Robles.

Offline welch

« Reply #28: September 26, 2021, 08:00:31 PM »
Robles with two hits, including a leadoff homer, today. A couple of walks and a strikeout. Went first-to-third on a single to right. Looked comfortable. Also looks like he's trying to grow a mustache.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #29: September 27, 2021, 10:15:46 AM »
Thomas has won CF, and looks like a real major leaguer...

Thomas has won a spot on the major league team.  But I'm not sure that's CF for any reason other than convenience right now.  He looks really iffy as a CF.  For every F8 he turns into a double, he has to hit one to make up for it.  That stuff adds up.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30: September 27, 2021, 11:15:02 AM »
Thomas has won a spot on the major league team.  But I'm not sure that's CF for any reason other than convenience right now.  He looks really iffy as a CF.  For every F8 he turns into a double, he has to hit one to make up for it.  That stuff adds up.
I'm kind of shocked at how bad Thomas has looked defensively, but the bat plays.  As for Robles, he's arb-1 next year, so I suppose he's not priced himself off the roster.  I like the fact that there's competition for CF.  There's worse things than two of Robles / Thomas / Stevenson / Yadi being your back ups.  I could even live with all 4 on the roster, two starting alongside Soto.  Bigger needs than OF right now. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #31: September 27, 2021, 12:58:33 PM »
I'm kind of shocked at how bad Thomas has looked defensively, but the bat plays.  As for Robles, he's arb-1 next year, so I suppose he's not priced himself off the roster.  I like the fact that there's competition for CF.  There's worse things than two of Robles / Thomas / Stevenson / Yadi being your back ups.  I could even live with all 4 on the roster, two starting alongside Soto.  Bigger needs than OF right now.

I think what Thomas doing well means is that Stevenson's likely gone, at least from the 40.  He's out of options after this year and he doesn't hit enough to justify him existing as a backup CF if Thomas is even remotely passable there.  I'd expect them to try to sneak him off the 40 after the season ends and if he gets claimed not worry too much.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #32: September 27, 2021, 01:22:24 PM »
I think what Thomas doing well means is that Stevenson's likely gone, at least from the 40.  He's out of options after this year and he doesn't hit enough to justify him existing as a backup CF if Thomas is even remotely passable there.  I'd expect them to try to sneak him off the 40 after the season ends and if he gets claimed not worry too much.

That's a fair take. We could DFA stevenson and possibly resign him as AAAA fodder. I assume Vic and Thomas battle it out for the starting CF role in spring training and whoever loses out is the 4th OF.  It would make sense for Vic to play some winter ball.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: September 27, 2021, 01:28:46 PM »
I could see our pinch hitter extraordinaire being bounced, but if we go with 5 outfielders, then I think there's space.  It is a roster space issue.  Are there guys who we need to protect and add to the 40 man to avoid losing them to rule 5?  Stevenson could become the outfield equivalent of Adrian Sanchez, which would be bad, either.

Offline welch

« Reply #34: September 27, 2021, 01:57:34 PM »
I see Thomas working on CF over the winter. He does not seems to run the outfield the way a CF should. He hits. I see Robles playing in AAA the way he should, showing talent. There's hope for Robles. Thomas and Robles can compete in Spring Training and in April. One wins and the other shares time in LF. That's good.

Stevenson? As suggested above, there is no reason to expect Stevenson to be anything more than a 4th OF, a guy who is adequate when a regular is injured. If Robles shows he can hit major league pitching, then either he or Thomas are the 4th, and Stevenson makes a great OF version of Adrian Sanchez. Good suggestion, JCA. (Incidentally, Sanchez looked good with Rochester last night. Didn't see Noll, who was tossed in the first inning)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #35: September 27, 2021, 02:42:49 PM »
Thomas bat really doesnt play in the corners, except as a platoon against LHP. Which would be great if we brought back Schwarber.

With both Gray and Cavalli looking more like flyball pitchers, we're going to need a good fielding CFer.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: September 27, 2021, 03:24:16 PM »
Thomas bat really doesnt play in the corners, except as a platoon against LHP. Which would be great if we brought back Schwarber.

With both Gray and Cavalli looking more like flyball pitchers, we're going to need a good fielding CFer.
thing is, Thomas is plenty fast enough and has a good enough arm to be a very good defensive OF, but his reads seem to be awful.

Online imref

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #39: January 31, 2022, 10:30:48 AM »
man, they really do have nothing to write about during the lockout.
Beat me to this post.

Online imref

« Reply #40: January 31, 2022, 12:37:16 PM »

Zuck wrote a "what if Brady had played baseball" post the other day, so yeah.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #41: February 03, 2022, 07:54:44 PM »

Think pitchers and catchers will report?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42: February 04, 2022, 07:36:28 AM »
It's February 4th.  Too soon to worry about it.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: February 04, 2022, 08:08:45 AM »
Eventually

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: February 04, 2022, 09:15:31 AM »

only if the owners bring in scabs

Offline Five Banners