Author Topic: Remember Thor?  (Read 347 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Remember Thor?
« Topic Start: August 28, 2021, 06:40:12 PM »

I had forgotten Syndegaard until a writer mentioned that he becomes a free agent at the end of the season. Murdoch's NY Post says:

Noah Syndergaard eliminating certain pitches not a huge Mets concern

By Mike Puma

August 27, 2021 10:19pm  Updated

Noah Syndergaard will return to High-A Brooklyn on Sunday with an eye toward pitching beyond one inning.

A day after the right-hander pitched an inning for the Cyclones in his first minor league rehab appearance since his restart, Mets manager Luis Rojas said the goal is to get Syndergaard an “up and down” session. That could entail getting four to six outs.

Syndergaard revealed Thursday that he has received medical advice against throwing his slider and curveball before next season because of the strain those pitches have placed on his elbow following Tommy John surgery. Syndergaard’s first rehab was shut down in May because of discomfort in the elbow.

Can Syndergaard survive this season with just a fastball and changeup?

“For an inning or two,” pitching coach Jeremy Hefner said.

But the Mets also plan to utilize Syndergaard, should he return this season, out of the bullpen. Even so, the Mets would like to see an uptick in Syndergaard’s velocity — his fastball sat in the 95 mph range in his first appearance.

“I think we would like to see it a little harder,” Hefner said. “Mentally, going through 18 months of rehab and having a setback there is probably a little bit of hesitation and he’ll work his way into it as he gets more comfortable.”

Rojas said he was unaware of the doctors’ recommendation that Syndergaard avoid sliders and curveballs, and he indicated there will be discussions about an approach as the right-hander continues to progress.

“He has an opportunity to keep working on his changeup, which is a pitch he has developed throughout his rehabs and the work that he’s done,” Rojas said. “But as far as the breaking pitches we’ll talk more and more as he is probably getting closer to us.”

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Remember Thor?
« Reply #1: August 28, 2021, 06:58:54 PM »
Wouldn't be a bad guy for a team to take a flyer on.  Although I have no idea what he would be worth?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2: August 28, 2021, 07:03:58 PM »
I hope they closed down that steakhouse that the 2015 Mets rotation was pictured eating at in the hype ad for the Mets a few years back.

Offline welch

« Reply #3: August 28, 2021, 08:13:01 PM »
Another good inning for Nolin.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: August 28, 2021, 09:14:41 PM »
They're moving Syndergaard to the pen, so they can get away with it this year.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #5: August 28, 2021, 09:17:07 PM »
I hope they closed down that steakhouse that the 2015 Mets rotation was pictured eating at in the hype ad for the Mets a few years back.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #6: August 29, 2021, 09:11:55 AM »
How awful is the Mets medical staff? I feel like the 2010's and 2020's have been marked by Mets pitchers looking historically good before getting hurt.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: August 29, 2021, 09:48:41 AM »
How awful is the Mets medical staff? I feel like the 2010's and 2020's have been marked by Mets pitchers looking historically good before getting hurt.
DeGrom has been healthy until this year. Syndegaard had five solid years before injury. Matz and Wheeler are having good years. Of course not with the Mets. Harvey is really the only one who burnt out quickly. 

I mean look at the Nats. Strasburg has basically not pitched the last two years. And Joe Ross has pitched very little. Pitchers get arm problems.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #8: August 29, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »
I want the Nats to offer Thor a deal. One year prove it campaign. Worst case, it's a one year deal. Best case is he gets dealt at the deadline for a decent prospect.

Offline welch

« Reply #9: August 29, 2021, 11:19:24 AM »
I want the Nats to offer Thor a deal. One year prove it campaign. Worst case, it's a one year deal. Best case is he gets dealt at the deadline for a decent prospect.

I agree. Even a two-year deal. NY Post article says he is "only" throwing 95 mph. Mets want him to stop throwing his breaking balls because it stresses the joints that were repaired. Not clear whether the organization will let him recover slowly in High A the rest of the season, of if, as Slateman suggests, the Mets want to use him as a relief pitcher for the big team in September. In the Mets' drive to catch the Braves.

Might even take him a year of pitching decently until he has everything working, so two years of "prove it".

Mets entire organization, rather than their medical staff, seems to run their pitchers into oblivion. Syndegaard was out several times (2019?) with a "dead arm". Mets just kept pushing him. Pitched Steven Matz through an entire season with bone chips floating in his elbow. Delayed getting TJS for Wheeler, and then failed to lock him into an extension. Harvey -- well everyone knows he was driven off a cliff in 2015, resulting in the sad wreck of a pitcher he has become. DeGrom seemed like a miracle, a pitcher who suddenly threw harder as he got older. He's now out for the season with an undiagnosed injury, yet the Mets organization says he might come back sooner than his 60-day IL.

That organization destroys its talent. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline welch

« Reply #11: August 29, 2021, 01:02:04 PM »
Speaking of Thor:
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/noah-syndergaard-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

Wow. So teams must offer based on what he was in 2019 or 2018. He ought to be inexpensive, but there are 32 teams and, surely, some team will take a wild chance. Probably a team with lousy starting pitching. Maybe the Nats, who are Josiah Gray and an accumulation of number 5 starters plus some hope for the future.