Author Topic: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 3  (Read 480 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 3
« Reply #25: August 26, 2021, 09:34:35 PM »
I was trying to remember about Murphy. So

Murphy, 26, was a third-round draft pick in 2013 and pitched just four innings in his first three years of professional baseball. That’s because he dealt with a stress fracture in his arm, a procedure for thoracic outlet syndrome and another to relocate a pinched nerve in his elbow. He also underwent Tommy John surgery as a high school senior.

This year, he was slowed by a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder, putting him on the wrong end of a roster squeeze this month. But after Murphy was designated for assignment despite a 0.00 ERA in 14⅔ innings with the Class AAA Buffalo Bisons, Blue Jays Manager Charlie Montoyo told reporters he hoped Murphy would clear waivers and remain with Toronto. Then the Nationals snatched him, the first sign their approach to waivers had changed.

On one hand, Murphy offers limited roster flexibility because he is out of minor league options after this season, meaning the Nationals would have to carry him on the Opening Day roster in April or risk losing him on waivers. On the other hand, the earliest he can reach free agency is 2027. Since he was acquired by the Nationals, he has pitched only two innings for the Red Wings. He was promoted Tuesday and was expected to meet the Nationals in Miami.

“With no options after this year, yeah, this is my time to prove it and be something for this team,” Murphy said in a recent phone interview. “I feel like everything came together this year, at least in the minors, when I was able to get into a rhythm, regular work, not worry about anything but pitching. I’m right there.”