Author Topic: Peter Angelos tries to fill up stands by "Filling Up"  (Read 3367 times)

Sorry if this is common knowledge, especially up in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia areas but I thought I'd post this anyways.  I have no idea how I feel about it.  It almost seems sort of pathetic, especially with Peter Anus dealing with the biggest crooks in the world.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=2068

Get Free Orioles Tickets When You Fill Up 4 Times

From June 1 to July 31, people who fill up at CITGO four times (minimum eight gallons each time) qualify for two tickets to any one of five pre-selected Orioles home games.

You may obtain up to four (4) total free tickets by sending in 8 receipts for purchases of at least 8 gallons or more. Open only to licensed drivers who are U.S. residents 16 years or older. Subject to change.

Official rules available at participating CITGO locations. Offer good while supplies last. Promotion ends July 31, 2007. Void where prohibited by law.

Offline ronnynat

That's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but isn't CITGO the gas station run by some Anti-American politician from another country (I may be way off on this one).  What the Nats need to do is work w/ companies like Wendy's and Subway and do a value meals-for-tickets promotion. I'd do it....from Subway, of course :halo:.

Offline NatsAddict

That's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but isn't CITGO the gas station run by some Anti-American politician from another country (I may be way off on this one).  What the Nats need to do is work w/ companies like Wendy's and Subway and do a value meals-for-tickets promotion. I'd do it....from Subway, of course :halo:.

Citgo is owned by Petroleos de Venezuela, but is a US company, as are all the independent Citgo retailers.  Also, just about every gasoline retailer uses oil imported from Venezuela.  Still, because of the e-mail messages, many people think all Citgo stations are owned by Chavez.  You're just as likely to be buying refined Venezuelan oil from a BP station.  Still, because of everything you read on the Internet being true, it is something of a marketing snafu.

It wasn't for tickets, but one promotion that I'll never forget is the Coca Cola pop-top metal bottle caps with pictures of the old Senators underneath.  I still have a bunch of those with Bernie Allen, Eddie Brinkman, Paul Casanova,  Epstein, Howard, and the whole crew.  I took them off very carefully so as not to make a dent in the cap.  I even drew a picture of a baseball field, and glued the caps to the positions.  My dad built a frame for it, and still has it mounted in his wood shop.  I wouldn't give 'em up for the world.

Down here a chain of car dealerships, which sponsor the "Maroone call to the bullpen" gives away two free tickets if you test drive a car (they still use the old Ghostbusters theme song - "Who you gonna call? Maroone!"  Enough already!  And then Dan Marino, who, last time I checked, was a football player, comes on).  Anyway, it is apparent that nobody is test driving cars.

Offline ronnynat

It wasn't for tickets, but one promotion that I'll never forget is the Coca Cola pop-top metal bottle caps with pictures of the old Senators underneath.  I still have a bunch of those with Bernie Allen, Eddie Brinkman, Paul Casanova,  Epstein, Howard, and the whole crew.  I took them off very carefully so as not to make a dent in the cap.  I even drew a picture of a baseball field, and glued the caps to the positions.  My dad built a frame for it, and still has it mounted in his wood shop.  I wouldn't give 'em up for the world.

You should take a picture of that and put it on here. I'd really like to see it. Do you know what they might be worth?

Offline NatsAddict

You should take a picture of that and put it on here. I'd really like to see it. Do you know what they might be worth?

I'll try to get dad to take a picture and talk him through sending it in an e-mail.  Otherwise, I'll be up that way shortly after the ASB.

I have no idea what it would be worth, probably not that much, and I don't think I'd ever get what it is worth to me.  I still have what must be hundreds of those caps.  I guess it's wonder I still have teeth.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
32 gallons in 2 months?  Unless you drive a large SUV or have a long-ish commute, it seems like you'd have to go out of your way to drive that much in that time span, in which case you'd probably be cheaper off just buying the tickets outright ;)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
32 gallons in 2 months?  Unless you drive a large SUV or have a long-ish commute, it seems like you'd have to go out of your way to drive that much in that time span, in which case you'd probably be cheaper off just buying the tickets outright ;)

32 gallons would cost around $168 over two months :shock:

And, at that pace, over $1,000 a year.

Offline The Chief

Right, but my point was more that this deal is only really any good to people who already use that much gas, otherwise you'd get far better seats for your money by simply buying the tickets outright.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Right, but my point was more that this deal is only really any good to people who already use that much gas, otherwise you'd get far better seats for your money by simply buying the tickets outright.

Right.  You'd have to be an idiot to use that much gas just to get the crappy tickets :lol:

Offline NatsAddict

32 gallons would cost around $168 over two months :shock:

And, at that pace, over $1,000 a year.

How much is gas up there?  I just paid $3.29 for regular and though I got mugged.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
How much is gas up there?  I just paid $3.29 for regular and though I got mugged.

Four dollars a gallon, if you're lucky.  I've seen $4.50 at many Citgos and Mobils.  I just got a hybrid (Toyota Prius), and it's really cut down on costs.

Offline The Chief

Jesus man i thought you lived in vermont not england

Offline kimnat

I'm seeing $2.97 now, saw 2.89 in South Riding yesterday.  But it was 2.97 here in Fairfax.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
It's anywhere from $3.09-29 in DC and Montgomery County, MD.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Chief, I fill up once a week, 16 gallons each time.  I commute 35 miles each way, 70 miles per day (350 per week) plus the occasional side trip.  My commute is longer than average but far from unusually long.  I get 29 miles to the gallon pretty consistently.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Jesus man i thought you lived in vermont not england

:lol:

The reason is, of course, that Vermont is as isolated from everything as it gets.

:lol:

The reason is, of course, that Vermont is as isolated from everything as it gets.

Maybe you guys should invest into the research of Maple Syrup fuels. ;)

Offline The Chief

Chief, I fill up once a week, 16 gallons each time.  I commute 35 miles each way, 70 miles per day (350 per week) plus the occasional side trip.  My commute is longer than average but far from unusually long.  I get 29 miles to the gallon pretty consistently.

Wow, that seems long to me.  I've never driven farther than 15 miles round-trip to work and back in my life.  Although my new job will be 20 round-trip (10 each way).

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
My commute is about two miles round-trip.  Lucky me :lol:

Offline The Chief

My commute is about two miles round-trip.  Lucky me :lol:

Pff, I would just walk.

Offline NatsAddict

I do walk - about 70 feet.

Offline kimnat

Lucky you all!  Dan has about the same commute as Tom.  We live in Fairfax City and he works in Rockville near the Shady Grove Metro.  takes him sometimes 90 minutes to get home on a really bad day.  usually 30 min. to work and 45-60 home.  :(  When we got married I told him that there was no way he was going to get me to move across that river!  Good thing he wanted to live in VA!

Offline The Chief

Lucky you all!  Dan has about the same commute as Tom.  We live in Fairfax City and he works in Rockville near the Shady Grove Metro.  takes him sometimes 90 minutes to get home on a really bad day.  usually 30 min. to work and 45-60 home.  :(  When we got married I told him that there was no way he was going to get me to move across that river!  Good thing he wanted to live in VA!

Ewww....  I've driven that drive before for training at my old old job, But I avoid that entire area like the plague during normal driving hours now.  I do not envy either of those guys making that trip 5 days a week! :shock:

Offline saltydad

I have been lucky in the commute so far. When I worked in Manhattan (after we moved from there to Westchester County), my commute was 35 miles each way. However, I only drove 1 mile to the Metro North station, and then had an 8 block walk from Grand Central to my office ay 34th and Park. It really spoiled me. I had a 1 mile commute when I worked in Ossining at the garden center. I only had to go from R Street to GW Hospital when I worked there as a nurse. The worst commute was when I was in the service; 9000 miles one way every 12 months!  :evil:

Offline NatsAddict

For a few years in the early/mid 80's I lived in Crofton, MD and worked in Manhattan.  For the first month, I drove each morning to BWI, took the Piedmont Shuttle to Newark, the bus to the Port Authority, and a cab to the East Village.  After about a month of flying twice a day, they decided it wasn't much more to to put me up in the Marriott Marquis, and I only had a major commute on on Monday mornings and Friday evenings.