Author Topic: Lane Thomas Superstar  (Read 10049 times)

Offline hohoho

Re: Lane Thomas Superstar.
« Reply #50: September 08, 2021, 07:10:56 PM »
This year he hit .104 for Cards and .316 for Nats. Limited sample, so far so good.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #51: September 08, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »
This year he hit .104 for Cards and .316 for Nats. Limited sample, so far so good.
one interesting bit about his offense is his hard hit rate. It's been pretty consistently 40+%. He's fast and hits the ball hard. His batting average on contact is earned even if it's elevated with the Nats

Offline madj55

« Reply #52: September 20, 2021, 07:39:26 PM »
I like Thomas the hitter. I don’t like what I’ve seen from him in CF and the jumps/routes he takes out there.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53: September 20, 2021, 09:41:23 PM »
I like Thomas the hitter. I don’t like what I’ve seen from him in CF and the jumps/routes he takes out there.
he wasn't supposed to be bad defensively.  He's got the tools and scouts liked him. Sort of the inverse of Robles, with actual defense and tools but no results hitting

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #54: September 20, 2021, 10:48:02 PM »
he wasn't supposed to be bad defensively.  He's got the tools and scouts liked him. Sort of the inverse of Robles, with actual defense and tools but no results hitting

Wasn't there an interview saying he got COVID last year and even now gets winded playing the field? That might cause him to not have the best defense especially if his reads aren't great and can't make up for it with a burst of speed.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #55: September 20, 2021, 11:15:21 PM »

he projected as a league average CF when he was drafted - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2069663-lane-thomas-prospect-profile-for-toronto-blue-jays-5th-round-pick

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #56: October 02, 2021, 11:39:04 AM »
I’m wondering if Thomas ends up in a corner next year with Robles in center.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #57: October 02, 2021, 11:48:59 AM »
I’m wondering if Thomas ends up in a corner next year with Robles in center.
I can see them going with a rotation of Robles, Thomas and Hernandez in CF/LF.  Of course Yadi cannot play CF but then you can have Robles in CF and Thomas in LF against lefties.  And the most important thing for next year is that will cover those positions at a cheap cost. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #58: October 02, 2021, 11:56:40 AM »
I can see them going with a rotation of Robles, Thomas and Hernandez in CF/LF.  Of course Yadi cannot play CF but then you can have Robles in CF and Thomas in LF against lefties.  And the most important thing for next year is that will cover those positions at a cheap cost. 

Couple issues:  I think Thomas would be better in right with Soto in left

Also, Yadiel hits significantly better against lefties as does Thomas. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #59: October 02, 2021, 12:09:15 PM »
Couple issues:  I think Thomas would be better in right with Soto in left

Also, Yadiel hits significantly better against lefties as does Thomas.
Fine with the first part.  I would not draw conclusions from only 80 ABs against lefties this year and 180 against righties.  What do his Minor league stats show?

Still think it's viable to rotate guys and give an occasional day off.  Having all three in the OF and moving Soto to 1B one day a week or every two weeks and giving Bell an off day is also a solution.  That would help Soto get ready for what is probably his ultimate position. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #60: October 02, 2021, 04:01:05 PM »
I think you move Yadi this off-season. Someone, somewhere will give up something for a year of league minimum above average outfield production

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #61: October 02, 2021, 04:35:02 PM »
I think you move Yadi this off-season. Someone, somewhere will give up something for a year of league minimum above average outfield production

It’s actually two minimum salary seasons plus 3 arb seasons

Offline Slateman

« Reply #62: October 02, 2021, 04:53:54 PM »
It’s actually two minimum salary seasons plus 3 arb seasons
He's going to be 34 next season. No one is looking at him longer than that. He's a chance for a cheap team to get a year if decent corner OF or DH production. Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa, ect. Teams that want to take a shot next season at competing next year, but not gamble a lot of resources

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #63: October 02, 2021, 04:59:19 PM »
He's going to be 34 next season. No one is looking at him longer than that. He's a chance for a cheap team to get a year if decent corner OF or DH production. Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa, ect. Teams that want to take a shot next season at competing next year, but not gamble a lot of resources

Sure, if the Nats need a LF like Schwarber was. But the Nats need pitching next year, so spend on a couple of starters and a good reliever.

In the minors: Cavalli is at least a season away from the majors. He got clobbered in his bit at Rochester, so he needs to repeat AAA. Henry goes to Harrisburg. Rutledge finished at Fredericksburg, so he needs to do well in Wilmington.

In the majors, Gray might become pretty good. Corbin is a definite maybe. Strasburg is trying to come back from surgery that few had managed. If he's back to normal, then the Nats have hit a jackpot. The rest are five-inning starters at their very best. Nolin, Rogers, and Espino can be good for a few innings. Fedde should be gone, unless he pitches four innings after Rogers pitches five.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #64: October 02, 2021, 05:03:48 PM »
Sure, if the Nats need a LF like Schwarber was. But the Nats need pitching next year, so spend on a couple of starters and a good reliever.
Wut

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65: October 02, 2021, 08:16:09 PM »
Yadi has Tampa Bay written all over him

Offline Slateman

« Reply #66: October 02, 2021, 08:28:06 PM »
I wonder if we could sweeten the return by taking Kiermaier

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #67: October 02, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
I wonder if we could sweeten the return by taking Kiermaier

I’m all for it.  Yadiel I see as really appealing to the As and Ray’s.  With the rays I would want kiermaier as part of it but then we definitely need to trade Robles. 

With the As there are so many arb guys who could be available.  Chapman, Olson, Laureano, bassit plus they’re losing their LF canha this offseason. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #68: October 02, 2021, 08:53:10 PM »
I’m all for it.  Yadiel I see as really appealing to the As and Ray’s.  With the rays I would want kiermaier as part of it but then we definitely need to trade Robles. 

With the As there are so many arb guys who could be available.  Chapman, Olson, Laureano, bassit plus they’re losing their LF canha this offseason. 

We dont need to trade Robles

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69: October 02, 2021, 08:54:12 PM »
We dont need to trade Robles
where are you playing kiermaier and robles?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #70: October 02, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »
where are you playing kiermaier and robles?
They can platoon. Or so can Lane. Or you can cut Kiermaier.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #71: October 03, 2021, 12:32:33 AM »
They can platoon. Or so can Lane. Or you can cut Kiermaier.

But kiermaier is a 3 war player and Robles sucks so why platoon if they’re all righty’s? 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #72: October 03, 2021, 07:28:15 AM »

But kiermaier is a 3 war player and Robles sucks so why platoon if they’re all righty’s? 
Kiermeir hasnt been a 3 WAR player in five years.

Platoon Kiermeir and Thomas in RF, put Robles in CF

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #73: October 03, 2021, 08:44:01 AM »
Kiermaeir is a 3.3 WAR CF who turns 32 next year, so, not so bad. Still, he turns 32. Even at that, why would Tampa want Yadiel?

Meanwhile, Robles might have recovered. He certainly hit well in AAA. Why give up on him unless he fails again in the majors? Thomas looks OK, so the Nats have at least an adequate CF.

The Nats need to spend on pitching: past Gray, the Nats starting pitching is a maybe -- Corbin -- and a collection of sum-guys. The bullpen is the worst in baseball, and the worst ever on the New Nats.

If there is money after buying a few respectable pitchers, then take a chance on a 3B and an OF. Kieboom can't hit and can't field, so he is a negative. That's the spot to fill. There will be OF who have hit, like Conforto, so find one to compete with Yadiel...but last of all.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74: October 03, 2021, 03:33:11 PM »
Kiermaeir is a 3.3 WAR CF who turns 32 next year, so, not so bad. Still, he turns 32. Even at that, why would Tampa want Yadiel?
They are tight with what they spend and pursue value.  Yadi is minimum wage for next year and the year after.  Kiermaier is due $12MM next year and has a $2.5MM buyout for a $13 MM option in 2023.  It's almost a pure money play depending on how you value hitting, D, and base running. 

I'd say flat out that Yadi is a better offensive player.  with 289 PAs vs. 387 going into today,
Yadi = .273 / .329 / .413, 9 HR, 7.6% BB, 20.4% K, 3 SBs
KK = .259 / .326 / .389, 4 HR, 8% BB, 25.3% K, 9 SBs.

Kiermaier is a vastly better defensive player, capable of playing CF.

The question then is, is Kiermaier worth an extra $14MM commitment for next year?   I could see a low budget organization  saying no, especially with Manny Margot available to play CF.  Kiermaier is only worth that money if he is playing nearly full time. Yadi would not be a regular there, but i could see TB wanting to spend its money elsewhere and go Meadows / Margot / Arozarena across the outfield with Phillips as the defensive back up and Yadi being  a cheap bench bat.