Author Topic: Bring Back Max (breakout from Extend Scherzer?)  (Read 3787 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Bring Back Max (breakout from Extend Scherzer?)
« Reply #75: September 19, 2021, 02:30:15 PM »
I'm guessing just being on a hyper competitive team like the Dodgers are reinvigorated him.

My question re: catching Orel, is if he has enough time left in the season to pull that off. Maybe it'll carry over to next season if he doesn't give anything up the rest of the year...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: September 19, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »
Dodgers have 4 of the 10 longest scoreless streaks. Orel 59, drysdale 58, Greinke and Kershaw (around 44)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #77: September 19, 2021, 02:46:49 PM »
I'm guessing just being on a hyper competitive team like the Dodgers are reinvigorated him.
Yep.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #78: September 19, 2021, 08:23:21 PM »
Yep.

Yes.  I was going to post something like this myself, maybe even putting it stronger, but of course it's also a backhanded jab at the Nats organization. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #79: September 19, 2021, 08:34:30 PM »
Yes.  I was going to post something like this myself, maybe even putting it stronger, but of course it's also a backhanded jab at the Nats organization. 

We know how competitive Max is. Playing for a team in a pennant race is going to drive him to excel.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #80: September 19, 2021, 08:57:26 PM »
But its not. The team wasnt competitive. And y'all talking like he didnt get hurt and wasnt rocking a sub 3 ERA here.

If you really want to question the coaching staff, why does Lester have a 4.14 ERA in St Louis, and a 2.12 ERA over his last five starts

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #82: September 19, 2021, 09:50:45 PM »
But its not. The team wasnt competitive. And y'all talking like he didnt get hurt and wasnt rocking a sub 3 ERA here.

If you really want to question the coaching staff, why does Lester have a 4.14 ERA in St Louis, and a 2.12 ERA over his last five starts

Because he doesn’t have Hickey as a pitching coach! 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #83: September 20, 2021, 09:18:04 AM »
Max has had lots of dominant stretches here too.   When he's healthy and on a roll, he is as good as it gets.   

Anyone writing about sticky stuff any more?  Max took a noticeable hit in his numbers for the first few weeks of the crackdown and then was looking more Max like by the end of his Nats days and now is better than ever.   Did he learn how to pitch without it, or just hiding it better and the umpires lost enthusiasm for enforcing it?   Is anyone tracking Max and others spin rates to see if they dipped and went back up to un-natural numbers?

Or, in a funny twist of irony, has the MLB just stopped caring without Bauer around to keep them honest?  :D

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84: September 20, 2021, 01:59:40 PM »

The man has won 2 Cy Young awards with this organization and if not for Jacob deGrom it likely would have been 4. He was even good *this* year. And people are on here acting as if his performance in LA is something new, only brought out by superior coaching. I get wanting to crap on the Nats, but it’s ludicrous.
People made it a point to attend his starts so as not to miss history. He was dominant here. Also, at this point in the game, you think Max Scherzer needs, or is accepting much coaching?

I love the debate here, but this is insanity.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #85: September 20, 2021, 02:04:54 PM »
The man has won 2 Cy Young awards with this organization and if not for Jacob deGrom it likely would have been 4. He was even good *this* year. And people are on here acting as if his performance in LA is something new, only brought out by superior coaching. I get wanting to crap on the Nats, but it’s ludicrous.
People made it a point to attend his starts so as not to miss history. He was dominant here. Also, at this point in the game, you think Max Scherzer needs, or is accepting much coaching?

you do realize this is WNFF? :)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86: September 20, 2021, 02:10:40 PM »
you do realize this is WNFF? :)

This is insane even for WNFF.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #87: September 20, 2021, 02:18:17 PM »

Man, shut the freak up. Its obvious Max was sandbagging here in DC

/s

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88: September 20, 2021, 05:16:08 PM »
Man, shut the freak up. Its obvious Max was sandbagging here in DC

/s
he's been sandbagging ever since the hbp that broke up his perfect game. Had he been trying, that pitch misses Tabata (or whoever it was) and it's a perfecto.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #89: September 20, 2021, 07:56:48 PM »
he's been sandbagging ever since the hbp that broke up his perfect game. Had he been trying, that pitch misses Tabata (or whoever it was) and it's a perfecto.
Why else would he give up a grand slam to a relief pitcher

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #90: September 20, 2021, 08:00:27 PM »

His 4 run relief appearance after 2 outs against the Cubs in Game 5 of the NLDS...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91: September 20, 2021, 09:45:19 PM »
Not to mention, he's been wearing a brown contact lens for years.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #92: September 24, 2021, 01:32:51 PM »
Bobby Jim Bowden predicts that the Dodgers will offer Max $50 million per year for three years.

Jim Bobby also says that he had the Nats tank, thus laying the foundation...

The Dodgers will try to re-sign Max Scherzer and Clayton Kershaw to go along with Walker Buehler and Julio Urías in their rotation. They’ll look to sign both to short-term, high average annual value contracts, and don’t be surprised if Scherzer becomes the first $50 million AAV player in MLB history on a three-year deal. The Dodgers will move on from Kenley Jansen, unless he agrees to a significant pay cut and a short-term contract. (Jansen is making $20 million this year.) I think they’ll try to re-sign Corey Seager, but they’ll be OK if their middle infield becomes Trea Turner and Gavin Lux. They’ll also look to trade Cody Bellinger and retain Chris Taylor.

And

I asked Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo if they were going to “tank” like we did when I was Nationals GM, which eventually led to Washington being able to draft Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper in back-to-back years after I left the team. Unsurprisingly, Rizzo responded with an emphatic “No!” and said he will always try to win. Nothing would shock me this offseason with Washington.

https://theathletic.com/2844830/2021/09/24/who-stays-who-goes-for-dodgers-what-will-max-scherzer-sign-for-who-lands-justin-verlander-jim-bowdens-mailbag/

Offline Slateman

« Reply #93: September 24, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »
That might be how they get to two years.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94: September 24, 2021, 01:43:29 PM »
2 years, $100 million, before Buehler and Urias get expensive. Roll most of Janssen's money into Max

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #95: September 24, 2021, 01:43:51 PM »
Sounds like Bowden is drinking again. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #96: September 24, 2021, 01:49:03 PM »
Sounds like Bowden is drinking again. 
100-115 million sounds spot on for Scherzer. Figure divied up between two or three years.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #97: September 24, 2021, 01:56:21 PM »
100-115 million sounds spot on for Scherzer. Figure divied up between two or three years.

The article quoted said:
"...and don’t be surprised if Scherzer becomes the first $50 million AAV player in MLB history on a three-year deal."

That to me is $150 million. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: September 24, 2021, 02:01:01 PM »
The article quoted said:
"...and don’t be surprised if Scherzer becomes the first $50 million AAV player in MLB history on a three-year deal."

That to me is $150 million. 
yes, but I don't see that as happening or needed to get him to sign.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #99: September 24, 2021, 02:29:41 PM »
yes, but I don't see that as happening or needed to get him to sign.
I don’t see that either. I can see him signing for 2 years.