Author Topic: Bring Back Max (breakout from Extend Scherzer?)  (Read 3737 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Bring Back Max (breakout from Extend Scherzer?)
« Topic Start: August 03, 2021, 04:31:52 PM »
Start new thread called "Bring back Scherzer"

He doesn't want to be here...  :D

Offline Mattionals

Re: Re: Extend Scherzer?
« Reply #1: August 03, 2021, 04:38:53 PM »
He doesn't want to be here...  :D

All joking aside, he is the one guy I think the Nats could get back. If somehow the Nats could jettison Corbin, I can see Max as the guy who teaches Cavalli, Gray, and Rutledge as that next core. May e Stras would be healthy one of these years too.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2: August 03, 2021, 04:43:58 PM »
All joking aside, he is the one guy I think the Nats could get back. If somehow the Nats could jettison Corbin, I can see Max as the guy who teaches Cavalli, Gray, and Rutledge as that next core. May e Stras would be healthy one of these years too.

I don’t know if he wants to mentor, but I get the feeling he did like it here. Sure, if you’re going to get dealt, I’d want to go try out one of the west coast contenders. Who can beat the weather? But I think we could get him back.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: August 20, 2021, 01:37:04 AM »
Reposting in the correct thread:

Max has been a big part of my life. I drafted him in 2006 and continue to be close to him to this day,” Rizzo said. “He’s going to go to a team of his choice. He’s going to pick and choose the criteria that works for him.”

“We would love to have him retire in a Nationals uniform. If at all possible — we’d love to do it. I think he would embrace coming back if all the right pieces were in order. He’s a guy close to our hearts and a guy we loved having in D.C.

Offline Expos

« Reply #4: August 20, 2021, 02:41:25 AM »
Imagine if Rizzo can sign Max as a free agent after getting the Dodgers #1 and #2 prospects.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: August 20, 2021, 10:45:27 AM »
That must fall under some piracy law
Imagine if Rizzo can sign Max as a free agent after getting the Dodgers #1 and #2 prospects.

Offline imref

« Reply #6: August 20, 2021, 10:47:57 AM »
IIRC, he's not subject to a compensation pick either if someone else signs him.

Imagine if he comes back: Scherzer, Strasburg (if healthy), Gray, Fedde, Corbin. There are big question marks surrounding Strasburg and Corbin, but that could be a decent rotation, especially if you assume Cavalli arrives at some point.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #7: August 20, 2021, 10:58:51 AM »
IIRC, he's not subject to a compensation pick either if someone else signs him.

Imagine if he comes back: Scherzer, Strasburg (if healthy), Gray, Fedde, Corbin. There are big question marks surrounding Strasburg and Corbin, but that could be a decent rotation, especially if you assume Cavalli arrives at some point.

I saw on MLBTR in a chat that whoever was running the chat expects that Corbin could actually be traded in the offseason. The only way that happens is if the Lerner's eat all of that salary, which they won't, so I have no idea why I'm even wasting the electrons to type this.

I'm expecting Cavalli to come up in July. As much as I want Scherzer to come back, I don't think it's happening. I think the Nats new window starts in 2023 or 2024, and I don't know if Scherzer wants to pitch until he is in his 40's. I guess it could happen, but, the Nats have to show way more life to make it look like a destination to return to for Scherzer.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: August 20, 2021, 12:57:26 PM »
I think Scherzer would pitch until he's 60 if it were up to him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Reposting in the correct thread:

Max has been a big part of my life. I drafted him in 2006 and continue to be close to him to this day,” Rizzo said. “He’s going to go to a team of his choice. He’s going to pick and choose the criteria that works for him.”

“We would love to have him retire in a Nationals uniform. If at all possible — we’d love to do it. I think he would embrace coming back if all the right pieces were in order. He’s a guy close to our hearts and a guy we loved having in D.C.
sounds almost like tampering.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
sounds almost like tampering.

Not almost...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
No. We cant afford another 35 million AAV player who wont perform in 2023 and 2024

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Yes. Bring back Max Scherzer and compete in 2022. Max is an ace, and there are few of them. He is healthy. Does he want to mentor Cavalli, Gray, and maybe Rutledge plus Henry? His example teaches other pitchers, and seems to put some fire into position players. The rookie catchers can also learn a thing or two.

Soto is out of contract at the end of 2024, so the Nats will need to trade him at the end of 2023 to get anything except a chump-change rental return. That would leave only 2023 as a compete-year. Unless, of course, the Lerner-Nats can re-sign Soto.

Offline Slateman

Offline Natsinpwc

I’m sorry but Trevor Bauer is the biggest psycho in baseball.

Offline welch

Max will be the best two-year free agent starter after the season. Nats need two starting pitchers. Let Max be one of them, if he agrees.

Offline Slateman

Max will be the best two-year free agent starter after the season. Nats need two starting pitchers. Let Max be one of them, if he agrees.
Except Boras will want a 4-5 year deal and this team wont be competitive for the first two years of it.

Offline welch

Except Boras will want a 4-5 year deal and this team wont be competitive for the first two years of it.

Sign Max until he is 40. Except for Warren Spahn, 40 years old is The End. (And, for the record, Spahn won 23 games when he was 42, and led the NL with 22 complete games). A Boras 4 or 5 year deal  is nuts, unless the 4th and 5th seasons are a team option.

Incidentally, if the Nats won't be competitive in 2022 and 2023, then they won't be competitive until Soto is gone. His contract is up after 2024, so the Nats need to sign him or trade him by the end of 2023. Might as well trade him in 2022 to get anything back.

Offline nfotiu

Re: Bring Back Max (breakout from Extend Scherzer?)
« Reply #18: September 07, 2021, 10:26:09 AM »
I wouldn't think even Boras would be too heavy handed on these back-end of career deals.   Max enjoys being competitive too much to come back here right now.   I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't sign a one or two year deal to stay with the Dodgers.

If Max pushes the Dodgers to winning the division, I have to think he is a serious contender for a Cy Young this year.

Offline imref

« Reply #19: September 07, 2021, 11:47:59 AM »
I wouldn't think even Boras would be too heavy handed on these back-end of career deals.   Max enjoys being competitive too much to come back here right now.   I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't sign a one or two year deal to stay with the Dodgers.

If Max pushes the Dodgers to winning the division, I have to think he is a serious contender for a Cy Young this year.

looking at https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2021-pitching-leaders.shtml he seems to have as good a chance as anyone: 3rd in pitching WAR, lowest ERA, tied for 4th in wins, 1st in WHIP, and fewest H/9. Wheeler and Buehler have started more games though.

I see that Corbin leads in home runs allowed. :(

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: September 07, 2021, 01:08:51 PM »
looking at https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2021-pitching-leaders.shtml he seems to have as good a chance as anyone: 3rd in pitching WAR, lowest ERA, tied for 4th in wins, 1st in WHIP, and fewest H/9. Wheeler and Buehler have started more games though.

I see that Corbin leads in home runs allowed. :(
there's an article on MLB.com about how NL Cy Young may be the most interesting post season award due to the number of contenders.  Max and Buehler, Woodruff and Burnes - all 4 may split votes by being on the same team.  Gausman is in there, too. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #21: September 07, 2021, 01:23:13 PM »
there's an article on MLB.com about how NL Cy Young may be the most interesting post season award due to the number of contenders.  Max and Buehler, Woodruff and Burnes - all 4 may split votes by being on the same team.  Gausman is in there, too.
Zack Wheeler is tied for second in Baseball Reference WAR.  Behind Ohtani.  Guess which former Nats is tied with Wheeler? 

Wheeler has tailed off since the all star break but still having a great season. Pitched six shutout innings yesterday against Milwaukee. Also he has a terrible defense behind him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: September 07, 2021, 01:28:47 PM »
Zack Wheeler is tied for second in Baseball Reference WAR.  Behind Ohtani.  Guess which former Nats is tied with Wheeler? 

Wheeler has tailed off since the all star break but still having a great season. Pitched six shutout innings yesterday against Milwaukee. Also he has a terrible defense behind him.
wheeler is on the MLB list, too. 

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #23: September 07, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »

NL Cy Young and NL MVP are both very interesting situations. Out of all the guys, Wheeler has put up the most innings, which I honestly never figured he would lead that particular category given his injury history and fact that he never topped 200 innings. It gives him more leeway I think, but Burnes has better numbers overall in less innings pitched and also plays on a clear cut playoff team.

MVP has three guys with literally the same fWAR, Harper, Trea Turner(!), and Tatis Jr. Each one leads in a different category. Harper has the highest rated bat according to wRC+ (62 points better than league average), Tatis has the highest slugging percentage and ranks highest overall on the basepaths, and Turner is playing the best defense out of those three and has the most stolen bases to go along with his high average. Turner is on a sure fire playoff team, the other two are questionable. Tatis has also been hurt this season and had to transition off of SS to RF (mainly) which is hurting his overall value.

So it comes down again to that age old question, if it's close like this, do you go with the best overall numbers, or do you give it to the guy who helped his team get into the playoffs?

Offline imref

« Reply #24: September 07, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
it would certainly be interesting if Turner wins MVP and Scherzer wins Cy Young.