Author Topic: Bring Back Max (breakout from Extend Scherzer?)  (Read 3791 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Bring Back Max (breakout from Extend Scherzer?)
« Reply #50: September 14, 2021, 08:21:15 AM »
Why exactly are you all rooting for not good things for Max and/or Trea? Seems kinda petty
Because I am small minded and mean spirited.

Edit. And I don’t like the Dodgers. Would have been fine if they were in SD.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #51: September 14, 2021, 08:42:47 AM »
Because I am small minded and mean spirited.

Edit. And I don’t like the Dodgers. Would have been fine if they were in SD.
then root for Bellinger / Seager /Jansen / Kershaw to blow up. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52: September 14, 2021, 08:43:04 AM »
I literally said in my post that it was petty. Listening to the game and hearing the announcers waxing poetic about him getting 3000K in a Dodger uniform was annoying. Plus, I don’t really like the Dodgers.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #53: September 14, 2021, 08:53:04 AM »
then root for Bellinger / Seager /Jansen / Kershaw to blow up.
Well I will be rooting for that also. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #54: September 14, 2021, 08:55:07 AM »
I literally said in my post that it was petty. Listening to the game and hearing the announcers waxing poetic about him getting 3000K in a Dodger uniform was annoying. Plus, I don’t really like the Dodgers.
BINGO.  I did not read it but saw an article the other day with the title asking if Max was the greatest trade deadline acquisition ever.  It's just too much.  He has pitched great though.  Looks like he is re-energized.  And guess what folks, if he does not retire he is not coming back to a bottom feeder Nats team. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55: September 14, 2021, 08:56:00 AM »
Well I will be rooting for that also. 
and since Trea looks like the kid in Spiderman, I'm rooting for him to get a call from Nick Fury in the middle of the game.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #56: September 14, 2021, 12:42:59 PM »
Who pitches the wild game for LA?  Max or Buehler?  Kershaw?  Urias?

How about Bryce taking Max deep to lead Philly over LAD?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #57: September 14, 2021, 12:49:57 PM »
Who pitches the wild game for LA?  Max or Buehler?  Kershaw?  Urias?

How about Bryce taking Max deep to lead Philly over LAD?

You're really on board with Philly making the playoffs aren't you? I mean, yea, easiest schedule, but they are 4.5 back of Atlanta and their path to the postseason is much easier if they win the division.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: September 14, 2021, 12:56:35 PM »

You're really on board with Philly making the playoffs aren't you? I mean, yea, easiest schedule, but they are 4.5 back of Atlanta and their path to the postseason is much easier if they win the division.
Slightly better odds to win the division. Ten percent. 18 percent overall. I was amazed to see they are still only two games out in the wild card but they would need to go on a tear now which they don’t seem capable of. Reds are the wild card favorites now due to their schedule. So Votto taking Max deep.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2021-mlb-predictions/

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #59: September 14, 2021, 12:58:50 PM »
There aren't many ex-Nats I cheer for, but I definitely am still pulling for Max.   I can't say I like the Dodgers, but I don't like the Giants either, or the Padres for that matter, or anyone else they are likely playing against!

He didn't choose to leave.  He seemed relatively open to going somewhere to allow the team to get a good return.   He said he refused to go to the Mets, which gets him extra credit in my books.

I'm all about him continuing to do great things and solidify his place in the very top echelon of pitchers.   He won a World Series and 2 Cy Youngs here, so he's not in danger of overshadowing his accomplishments as a Nat.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #60: September 14, 2021, 01:59:24 PM »
Max is the Nats’ nominee for the Roberto Clemente award.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #61: September 14, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »
Slightly better odds to win the division. Ten percent. 18 percent overall. I was amazed to see they are still only two games out in the wild card but they would need to go on a tear now which they don’t seem capable of. Reds are the wild card favorites now due to their schedule. So Votto taking Max deep.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2021-mlb-predictions/

Fangraphs odds are even worse. 15.4% playoff chances and 8.3% to win division.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62: September 14, 2021, 02:07:22 PM »
Max is the Nats’ nominee for the Roberto Clemente award.
even after he left, didn't he do another event for the Nats Foundation?

Online imref

« Reply #63: September 14, 2021, 02:33:06 PM »
here are the details: https://www.mlb.com/news/roberto-clemente-award-2021-nominees

Nationals: Max Scherzer
Max Scherzer left a lasting impact in the DMV community over his six-plus seasons with the Nationals, even after he was traded to the Dodgers. As a way to thank Nats fans for their support, Scherzer and his wife, Erica, sponsored the adoption fees for every animal at the Humane Rescue Alliance (including cats, dogs, turtles, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds and mice) for seven days in early August. The following week, the Washington Nationals Philanthropies announced the Scherzers are contributing financial support to the development of the fourth Legacy Field, a multi-use education and recreation complex named for a current or former Nats player. They also donated an additional $100,000 to start a fundraising challenge.

“Kids should have access to not only a great education, but also the chance to play as many sports as possible,” Max Scherzer said this summer.

The Scherzers are the Nationals Philanthropies’ largest individual donors (cash basis) since 2015. -- Jessica Camerato

Offline rileyn

« Reply #64: September 14, 2021, 03:59:51 PM »

Definitely NOT on board with the Phillies making the playoffs.  I would prefer any team other than them to make the playoffs and I wish no success for Bryce.  I was at Nats Park the night he gave that bullsh*t bow and bat flip in his first game back.  I just think that would be an interesting matchup.  I actually think the Cardinals now are going to take the 2nd wildcard.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #65: September 14, 2021, 04:07:00 PM »
Definitely NOT on board with the Phillies making the playoffs.  I would prefer any team other than them to make the playoffs and I wish no success for Bryce.  I was at Nats Park the night he gave that bullsh*t bow and bat flip in his first game back.  I just think that would be an interesting matchup.  I actually think the Cardinals now are going to take the 2nd wildcard.
Reds.  9 games left against the Pirates and 4 against the Nats.  Three late in the season against the White Sox who will be resting regulars.  Only tough series in 3 versus the Dodgers. 

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #66: September 14, 2021, 07:43:48 PM »
There aren't many ex-Nats I cheer for, but I definitely am still pulling for Max.   I can't say I like the Dodgers, but I don't like the Giants either, or the Padres for that matter, or anyone else they are likely playing against!

He didn't choose to leave.  He seemed relatively open to going somewhere to allow the team to get a good return.   He said he refused to go to the Mets, which gets him extra credit in my books.

I'm all about him continuing to do great things and solidify his place in the very top echelon of pitchers.   He won a World Series and 2 Cy Youngs here, so he's not in danger of overshadowing his accomplishments as a Nat.

Personally, I hope that Max gets another ring this year with the Dodgers.  He deserves it.  (Also, even though I lived in Northern California for 3 years many years ago, I like the Dodgers more than the Giants this year.  I'll never forget the pain the Giants inflicted on the Nats in the playoffs).

Re: Max returning to the Nats, unfortunately that's about as likely as the last place Nats going deep into the playoffs in 2022.  I mean, I sincerely believe that Max loves the Nats and has a soft spot for our team, but he also is a fierce competitor.  He wants to win more than anything else.  Getting to the playoffs ain't happenin' in DC in 2022.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67: September 15, 2021, 12:19:19 AM »
Max Scherzer is and will always be my favorite MLB player. I cheer for Max and hope he does well. It just made me sad that that he got his 3000th strikeout with somebody other than the nats. I just didn’t want him to get that perfect game that day. It was too much. I still am hoping he wins the Cy Young and won’t hate it if he gets another ring. He’s going into Cooperstown as a Nat.

I still don’t like the Dodgers.

Online imref

« Reply #68: September 18, 2021, 05:08:42 PM »
Max shuts out the Reds over 7 innings with with 7Ks, 2 hits allowed. 5 straight starts without allowing an ER.  In 9 starts in LA he's allowed a total of 5ER

He's going to win another CY.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: September 18, 2021, 05:10:40 PM »
Max shuts out the Reds over 7 innings with with 7Ks, 2 hits allowed. 5 straight starts without allowing an ER.  In 9 starts in LA he's allowed a total of 5ER

He has been on fire since the trade. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: September 18, 2021, 05:26:09 PM »

does Hershiser still have the record? Jenks? Ironic if it is Orel and Max breaks it for the LAD

Online imref

« Reply #71: September 18, 2021, 05:32:17 PM »
does Hershiser still have the record? Jenks? Ironic if it is Orel and Max breaks it for the LAD

59 for Orel. Max has to be in the 30s now.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72: September 18, 2021, 05:57:40 PM »
59 for Orel. Max has to be in the 30s now.
37 if I counted right

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #73: September 19, 2021, 12:18:57 PM »

7-0 in nine starts, ERA well under 1. Unbelievable. Wonder what’s behind that - coaching staff? I know the Dodgers have a better lineup but he’s pitching lights out. Something obviously changed since he left DC.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #74: September 19, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »
7-0 in nine starts, ERA well under 1. Unbelievable. Wonder what’s behind that - coaching staff? I know the Dodgers have a better lineup but he’s pitching lights out. Something obviously changed since he left DC.
:roll: Yes, the coaching staff made Max like this.