Author Topic: Looking ahead to 2022  (Read 13850 times)

Offline Five Banners

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Looking ahead to 2022
« Reply #451: October 04, 2021, 10:12:39 AM »
Rizzo speaks generalities about 2022, but a few points stick out. Or stick into Kieboom, for one.

- He will, as always, build the team around good starting pitchers. He wants guys who pitch well and deeply into a game, believing this takes pressure off the bullpen. While he mentions Strasburg and Ross returning from injuries, I assume that part is talking fluff to cover the giant hole where starters like Strasburg, Zimmermann, Fister, Gio, and Max used to be. We will see whether that means he will sign a good free agent pitcher, or hope that Cavalli, Henry, and Rutledge step up in a few years. (Adon looked pretty good yesterday)

- Starters are the best pitchers, while relief pitchers are usually failed starters.

- He is happy with the development of Garcia, Ruiz, and Thomas

- Kieboom needs to adjust to the way pitchers have adjusted to him. Good players do that.

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2021/10/rizzo-after-low-point-this-year-improvement-expected-in-2022.html

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #452: October 05, 2021, 11:37:39 AM »
Loved what we saw from Adon. He should be at LEAST a reliever in the majors.  Frankly, I wouldn’t mind doubling down on offense and bullpen next year.  That way, we can roll with young starters making starts to se what we got and if they don’t work out we can send them back down or slap them in the pen.  Cavalli, Carrillo, Henry, and cate could all get mlb innings next year and I’m excited.  Carrillo seems late inning relieverish to me.  I’m high on Henry and he’ll probably start at AA making it more likely he’ll get mlb innings next year (just look at how adon was pushed aggressively this year. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #453: October 20, 2021, 10:22:41 AM »
Fantasy oriented recap of 2021.  Thomas, Bell, Ruiz, Voth, Garcia discussed in more detail.
https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/2021-roster-review-washington-nationals/

The Thomas / Voth / Garcia discussions are a little fantasy-value projection in tone, with Garcia a projected breakout, Voth touted as a rotation possibility for very deep fantasy teams, and Thomas a great buy as an anticipated regular corner OF.  Likes Yadi, too, if there's a DH.  Pleased with Ruiz, and of course notes Bell's strong performance after his slow start.