Author Topic: Looking ahead to 2022  (Read 13460 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Re: Looking ahead to 2022
« Reply #26: August 20, 2021, 10:12:26 PM »
You let your young guys you believe can be part of the future play, and you fill in the gaps with 1-year "show me" deals like Schwarber.  Vets that are coming off down years and/or injuries and take a 1-year deal knowing they have a job and try and rebuild their value.  Maybe the young guys perform, Stras and Corbin bounce back, and some FA pickups payoff and at the deadline we add and try to contend?  The NL East could be wide open again.  Or, maybe you further stock the system by flipping some of these FA signings at the deadline.

I do like the early returns on the guys we picked up at this deadline.  Next year we'll have Bell to deal and hopefully he has value.  If Stras or Corbin can return to form, maybe we can find a taker and unload their contracts?  Not even for any top prospects, just take the money off our books.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #27: August 21, 2021, 12:54:03 AM »
The Nats won't be an attractive destination next year for any quality free agents. They would have to overpay for a difference maker like they did years ago for Jason Werth.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #28: August 21, 2021, 08:59:42 AM »
The Nats won't be an attractive destination next year for any quality free agents. They would have to overpay for a difference maker like they did years ago for Jason Werth.
They've had to overpay this entire time

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #29: August 21, 2021, 09:30:47 AM »
They've had to overpay this entire time

Who doesn’t overpay for free agents?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: August 21, 2021, 09:36:22 AM »
You let your young guys you believe can be part of the future play, and you fill in the gaps with 1-year "show me" deals like Schwarber.  Vets that are coming off down years and/or injuries and take a 1-year deal knowing they have a job and try and rebuild their value.  Maybe the young guys perform, Stras and Corbin bounce back, and some FA pickups payoff and at the deadline we add and try to contend?  The NL East could be wide open again.  Or, maybe you further stock the system by flipping some of these FA signings at the deadline.

I do like the early returns on the guys we picked up at this deadline.  Next year we'll have Bell to deal and hopefully he has value.  If Stras or Corbin can return to form, maybe we can find a taker and unload their contracts?  Not even for any top prospects, just take the money off our books.
good to see you back. I think the approach will likely be this. Ideally, a shortstop falls to us as a placeholder for House, although it would be a surprise if he's in dc before 2025.  More likely,  a bunch of 1 year deals we hope to hit on. 

Offline hohoho

« Reply #31: August 21, 2021, 11:07:10 AM »
Exactly. You have to roll the dice and go for it, or you can play it safe and lose.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #32: August 21, 2021, 11:39:56 AM »

Sure free agents are overpaid but if you're a team expected to contend a free agent is more likely to go to that team as opposed to a non-contender if the money is the same. So if the only way to get a non-contender to sign with you is to pay more.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #33: August 21, 2021, 11:51:08 AM »
The Nats didn't contend this year and last, though who knows how 2020 factors into FA's thinking. The whole decade before that the Nats were contenders and won the World Series in 2019. If they show they want to be spenders, they'll be viewed as contenders because that's what they've been for a good long stretch now.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #34: August 21, 2021, 12:18:08 PM »

The exception is if you can sign a free agent at an age you expect them to be at or near their peek in the next 2-4 years. Like Bryant, Seager,  Gausman, Schwarber, Rodriguez, and Story.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #35: August 21, 2021, 12:41:47 PM »
good to see you back. I think the approach will likely be this. Ideally, a shortstop falls to us as a placeholder for House, although it would be a surprise if he's in dc before 2025.  More likely,  a bunch of 1 year deals we hope to hit on.

Thanks.  I definitely expect a bunch of 1-year deals and 2 years at the most.  I wouldn't expect a low ceiling vet like Lester added to the rotation, but rather a "lottery" ticket where you think you can turn a guy around that's been ineffective/injured but has upside.  I think we'll add a corner OF slugger like Schwarber that's cheap due to a bad year this year, but like Schwarber could bounce back.  I think Robles will get more time unless he's struggling into the summer and we're contending.  I expect Kieboom to get his shot at 3B and Garcia 2B, so we need someone to play SS.  Davey loves forner Cubs, so would Baez off a terrible year take a 1-year deal to rebuild value?  That's a nice upside play.  Would Rizzo be another in that boat, and perhaps we play Bell in LF?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #36: August 21, 2021, 12:42:01 PM »
https://mattsbats.com/2021/08/20/looking-ahead-to-the-2021-22-offseason-could-the-nats-be-competitive-next-year/

This is a good analysis. Go after Correa, who fields, hits, and provides a spark. Seager and Story are not as good.

Yes on getting a big bat OF, like Schwarber was and could be again. Anything to cover for Robles, a pitiful hitter who needs to be in Rochester.

Interesting take on next year's pitchers. Need a stable LH starter, and Corbin is unreliable. Last night was great, and if he can do that most starts, then he is better than a "crafty lefty". Of the free agent starters, Steven Matz is a good spot.

I agree with the guy on the bullpen. The current bunch is pretty good, and Rainey still might be useful. Forget Suero and maybe Voth.

Do not tank in 2022, because that throws away a year of Soto. Unless the Lerners decide to sign him for whatever he is worth, Soto is gone after 2024. That means the best return would be to trade him after 2023, the year in which tank-ists want to compete. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37: August 21, 2021, 01:17:31 PM »
Davey loves forner Cubs, so would Baez off a terrible year take a 1-year deal to rebuild value?  That's a nice upside play.  Would Rizzo be another in that boat, and perhaps we play Bell in LF?
Baez is a good thought.  I expect him to be underwhelmed by offers. 

As for Bell in left, I wonder whether they will continue to trot him out to a corner outfield spot against lefties when RZ is in the lineup.  They did it once already.  There's also a possibility of  DH next year, so I could see some sort of maneuver with Bell. 

As for pitching, yes, finding the next Kevin Gausman / Lance Lynn / Wade Miley would be much better than a Lester / Sanchez type signing.

Offline Section214

« Reply #38: August 21, 2021, 02:23:56 PM »
It's wild to just pencil in Espino to the rotation and think we could be competitive next year. To be competitive, Stras would need to come back healthy (not happening) Corbin has to be better (possible) and they'd need to go out and sign 1-2 SPs. They would also need to add a big bat in the middle of the lineup and completely overhaul the bullpen. That seems like a very short-sighted plan.

Go with that lineup you have listed, bring in some Josh Harrison type utility infielders and use our AAAA OF guys we are trying out the rest of the way to round out the OF with Robles and Soto penciled in.

Gray - Corbin - ? - ? - Fedde --- ? - ? - ? - Mason Thompson - Finnegan - ? - ?.

Take our lumps in 2022 while the young guys get better and we eat another year of Corbin/Stras money. Trade off Bell and anyone else who shows promise at the next deadline. Prepare to go big in 2023 FA market to pair with all of the young arms coming up through the system. That should be the plan.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #39: August 21, 2021, 02:40:10 PM »
Good point. Who would even want to play with young Barry Bonds for a championship manager?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #40: August 21, 2021, 02:49:44 PM »
It's wild to just pencil in Espino to the rotation and think we could be competitive next year. To be competitive, Stras would need to come back healthy (not happening) Corbin has to be better (possible) and they'd need to go out and sign 1-2 SPs. They would also need to add a big bat in the middle of the lineup and completely overhaul the bullpen. That seems like a very short-sighted plan.

Go with that lineup you have listed, bring in some Josh Harrison type utility infielders and use our AAAA OF guys we are trying out the rest of the way to round out the OF with Robles and Soto penciled in.

Gray - Corbin - ? - ? - Fedde --- ? - ? - ? - Mason Thompson - Finnegan - ? - ?.

Take our lumps in 2022 while the young guys get better and we eat another year of Corbin/Stras money. Trade off Bell and anyone else who shows promise at the next deadline. Prepare to go big in 2023 FA market to pair with all of the young arms coming up through the system. That should be the plan.
Espino is fine if he's your #4 or #5.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #41: August 21, 2021, 02:55:26 PM »

If I were the Nats and wanted to compete next season, I'd throw 4 years and $60 million at Chris Taylor and tell him he's hitting #3 behind Soto and ahead of Bell.

I think he's about perfect for the Nationals. Josh Bell is 1B. Then Kieboom and Garcia are definite starters. You're not going to find many big hitters in the middle infield opposite Garcia. The Nationals probably next season will want to see what they have in fringe prospects like Casey and Cluff, and you could maybe see Riley Adams or Keibert Ruiz force themselves into LF. You can move Turner around as needed to test those guys out.

The Nationals books are pretty empty after next season and Taylor gives them flexibility on where they want to add.

As I posted previously, I'd rather them split the baby with smaller moves than either going for it or blowing it up, but I think Taylor makes a lot of sense if they want to really make a run at it.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #42: August 21, 2021, 03:12:07 PM »
Go after Correa, who fields, hits, and provides a spark.

I can do without any more of the Asterisks: leave that spark to be remembered with the Black Sox

Offline Expos

« Reply #43: August 21, 2021, 06:37:19 PM »
Sign-
SP- Max Scherzer 2 years, 60 million
SS- Carlos Correa 6 years, 150 million
CP- Raisel Iglesias 3 years, 30 million
LF- Kyle Schwarber 3 years, 36 million

1- Max Scherzer
2- Josiah Gray
3- Stephen Strasburg
4- Joe Ross
5- Cade Cavelli

Closer- Raisel Iglesias
Setup- Patrick Corbin
Kyle Finnegan
Mason Thompson
Paolo Espino
Andres Machado
Ryne Harper
Gabe Klobosits

C- Keibert Ruiz / Riley Adams
1B- Josh Bell
2B- Luis Garcia
3B- Carter Kieboom
SS- Carlos Correa / Alcides Escobar
RF- Juan Soto
CF- Victor Robles / Lane Thomas
LF- Kyle Schwarber
DH- Yadiel Hernandez

1. LF- Kyle Schwarber
2. SS- Carlos Correa
3. RF- Juan Soto
4. 1B- Josh Bell
5. 3B- Carter Kieboom
6. DH- Yadiel Hernandez
7. C- Kiebert Ruiz / Riley Adams
8. 2B- Luis Garcia
9. CF- Victor Robles

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #44: August 21, 2021, 06:53:10 PM »
Sign-
SP- Max Scherzer 2 years, 60 million
SS- Carlos Correa 6 years, 150 million
CP- Raisel Iglesias 3 years, 30 million
LF- Kyle Schwarber 3 years, 36 million

1- Max Scherzer
2- Josiah Gray
3- Stephen Strasburg
4- Joe Ross
5- Cade Cavelli

Closer- Raisel Iglesias
Setup- Patrick Corbin
Kyle Finnegan
Mason Thompson
Paolo Espino
Andres Machado
Ryne Harper
Gabe Klobosits

C- Keibert Ruiz / Riley Adams
1B- Josh Bell
2B- Luis Garcia
3B- Carter Kieboom
SS- Carlos Correa / Alcides Escobar
RF- Juan Soto
CF- Victor Robles / Lane Thomas
LF- Kyle Schwarber
DH- Yadiel Hernandez

1. LF- Kyle Schwarber
2. SS- Carlos Correa
3. RF- Juan Soto
4. 1B- Josh Bell
5. 3B- Carter Kieboom
6. DH- Yadiel Hernandez
7. C- Kiebert Ruiz / Riley Adams
8. 2B- Luis Garcia
9. CF- Victor Robles

I’m down to bring back schwarber.  I think you’re a little low on what it will take to sign Iglesias.  I’d guess more in the $13 million to $15 million range.

Do not want Correa at all.  He seemed like the biggest tool out of all the astros about the cheating stuff

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: August 21, 2021, 07:27:40 PM »
I’m down to bring back schwarber.  I think you’re a little low on what it will take to sign Iglesias.  I’d guess more in the $13 million to $15 million range.

Do not want Correa at all.  He seemed like the biggest tool out of all the astros about the cheating stuff
I'd not specifically target a SS with a multi-year high dollar contract.  I think one of them will not get what he wants on the market and will get a short pillow contract.  I'm betting Baez. 

Also, Strasburg is a question mark as is Ross.  Cavalli may not start right away from opening day in the rotation.  Fedde or Espino will likely be in the rotation. Also, Harris has as much of a chance to be in the bullpen as Stras in the rotation.

I think Schwarber beats $12MM AAV. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #46: August 21, 2021, 07:37:01 PM »
Someone like Correa will only go to a contending team. Unless you overpay by a lot. That is the problem with being a bottom team.  Fans need to be patient with the rebuild.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #47: August 21, 2021, 09:09:18 PM »
I'd bring back Zimm to DH next year and let him play every day.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #48: August 21, 2021, 10:58:14 PM »
Someone like Correa will only go to a contending team. Unless you overpay by a lot. That is the problem with being a bottom team.  Fans need to be patient with the rebuild.
What bottom level team has a championship manager, GM, and arguably the best player in the game?

Let’s not be hyperbolic. This team needs some fixes but we’re not the Rockies.

Offline GataNats

« Reply #49: August 21, 2021, 11:31:16 PM »
Espino is fine if he's your #4 or #5.

No.   He’s not a roster for a competitive team