Author Topic: CBA Negotiations- 2022  (Read 7422 times)

Online Mattionals

Re: CBA Negotiations- 2022
« Reply #50: November 30, 2021, 10:24:34 AM »
So the owners and MLB are so totally okay with ruining the game in the attempt to make more money. If I could create a CBA and MLB as a whole, it would look something like this:

- Expand to two more cities, one in each league
- Create four divisions of four teams in each league
- Balance the schedule more so that strength of schedule is more normalized, no more 19 games against teams in your division
- Reduce the schedule to 154 games
- Top 6 records from each league make it into the playoffs, and are seeded 1 thru 6
- Seeds 1 and 2 get a bye, Seed 3 plays Seed 6, Seed 4 plays 5. Best of 3 series to be played at higher seeds home stadium
- Round 2 operates where Seed 1 plays the lowest seed winner of the first round, Seed 2 plays the higher seed winner
- Round 3 is the Championship round
- Winners go to WS

- Rookie season is the only one at league minimum
- All players go to arbitration after their first year
- Team control is extended to 8 years instead of 6 or 7
- Salary floor for teams and harsh penalties (like loss of picks AND revenue) if they don't meet the floor, keep the floor at say 120M
- Hard salary cap, but make it pretty high, likely 275M, and going over means losing picks AND having to pay extra to MLB
- Include all the fixes to the minor league system that are being implemented slowly, like housing for players making under a certain amount and such
- Get rid of service time manipulation, you get called up, you are rookie eligible and your clock starts, team HAS to bring you up after spending 5 years in the minors for anyone signed over the age of 18 years old
- No more qualifying offer non-sense. No more forfeiting picks either. Every player who signs with a new team, the old team gets a compensation pick after Round 1 and the order in which they pick is a direct result of how they did in the standings the last year

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #51: November 30, 2021, 12:08:36 PM »
If I’m the players union, I’d ask for players to get commissions off their jerseys that sell.  Even if it’s only like 2%

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #52: November 30, 2021, 12:49:00 PM »
I'd like to see service time go away all together. Give teams x number of years of team control of draftees regardless of whether its in the minors or majors.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #53: November 30, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
reportedly the union and the owners met today, the meeting was adjourned after 30 minutes.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #54: November 30, 2021, 12:57:15 PM »
reportedly the union and the owners met today, the meeting was adjourned after 30 minutes.
Deal's done?   That was easy!

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: November 30, 2021, 01:28:27 PM »
I don't think that can get settled without some kind of lockout. If both sides went to the the owners/players and said they had a deal, I think the owners/players would think they could have gotten a better one if they held out longer.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #56: November 30, 2021, 02:34:17 PM »
The Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Astros all have been mostly staying away from the big free agent deals for the last few years now.   Basically all the perennial contenders that strive for long term success realize these 10+ year deals are poison to their goals.  There has to be some mutual benefits to both sides to figuring out a way to make the market work better.   Boras basically has broken the mechanisms that kept the market working and now all the big money is going to late 30s guys wasting away on some forgotten team in the sun.   

Offline imref

« Reply #57: December 01, 2021, 11:31:50 AM »
a pretty detailed update - https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mlbpa-cba-negotiations

Both sides seem pretty far apart. The owners have made concessions but the players aren't budging, and aren't in a hurry to compromise or reach a deal.

Offline imref

« Reply #58: December 01, 2021, 04:19:37 PM »
owners and players met for 7 minutes today, no further meetings are scheduled.

It's lockout time....

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #59: December 01, 2021, 04:32:52 PM »
owners and players met for 7 minutes today, no further meetings are scheduled.

It's lockout time....
quick, somebody call up Sonia again to solve this.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #60: December 01, 2021, 05:14:51 PM »
a pretty detailed update - https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mlbpa-cba-negotiations

Both sides seem pretty far apart. The owners have made concessions but the players aren't budging, and aren't in a hurry to compromise or reach a deal.

For some reason I can't quite put a finger on, I'm not inclined to take the word of MLB.com as factual on a negotiation where MLB is a party.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #61: December 01, 2021, 05:46:58 PM »
For some reason I can't quite put a finger on, I'm not inclined to take the word of MLB.com as factual on a negotiation where MLB is a party.
Owners = Good.
Players = Bad.

Offline imref

« Reply #62: December 01, 2021, 11:13:57 PM »
Owners vote to lock out.

Anyone know what happens to players rehabbing with their clubs?

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #63: December 02, 2021, 03:15:44 AM »
I note that MLB.com is reduced to providing 'guide to' and 'history of' the game articles. One of these is the 'Minor League Ballpark Guide' - am I the only one who thinks that Altoona's ball park is rather unfortunately named - 'Peoples Natural Gas' park... ;)

https://www.mlb.com/news/featured/visit-peoples-natural-gas-field-home-of-the-altoona-curve?t=longform

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64: December 02, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »
Owners vote to lock out.

They cannot access the facility.  Charlie Morton talked about this.
It should be noted this means injured players can not rehab at the club's facilities or with the club's athletic trainers. Charlie Morton won't be allowed to rehab his broken leg with Braves trainers and pitchers like Zack Britton, Tyler Glasnow, Spencer Turnbull, Justin Verlander, and dozens of others will have to progress through their Tommy John surgery rehab away from the club.

"Really, most players' offseasons aren't going to change because of this," Morton told The Athletic's David O'Brien earlier this month. "But for me personally, if I can't go to an affiliated site to do rehab -- like if I can't go to (the Braves spring training site) to do my rehab -- that's not going to make it impossible to do my rehab, but I'm sure the Braves would like to have hands and eyes on me. That's the way it should be. But guys that work out and rehab at team facilities with team personnel. No one's really supposed to see us, so that's going to affect guys that do work out at a team facility with team personnel, or guys that are rehabbing."
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-lockout-what-is-and-isnt-allowed-to-happen-during-baseballs-work-stoppage/

that link also notes that players still receive deferred payments but not salary (Berrios and Heyward may be due the most until Max's next payment in July), there's a transaction freeze, no drug testing, players can play in other leagues like winter ball, and the minors are likely to continue.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #65: December 02, 2021, 11:03:04 AM »
They cannot access the facility.  Charlie Morton talked about this.https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-lockout-what-is-and-isnt-allowed-to-happen-during-baseballs-work-stoppage/

that link also notes that players still receive deferred payments but not salary (Berrios and Heyward may be due the most until Max's next payment in July), there's a transaction freeze, no drug testing, players can play in other leagues like winter ball, and the minors are likely to continue.

I wonder if they can file workers comp claims now to cover rehab costs

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #66: December 02, 2021, 12:44:31 PM »
They cannot access the facility.
Owners vote to lock out.

According to Zuck they can continue re-habbing at the ball park or ST site loke Stras and Ross

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67: December 02, 2021, 02:08:26 PM »
Jesse Dougherty:

Current 40-man players also can’t access any team facilities or work with club employees.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/12/02/nationals-mlb-lockout/

I give Zuck the benefit of the doubt and just say he's mistaken according to news outlets that are not affiliated with the team, like CBS and the WaPo.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #68: December 02, 2021, 02:17:17 PM »
Jesse Dougherty:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/12/02/nationals-mlb-lockout/

I give Zuck the benefit of the doubt and just say he's mistaken according to news outlets that are not affiliated with the team, like CBS and the WaPo.

Zuckerman seems pretty worthless...

Offline imref

« Reply #69: December 02, 2021, 04:24:31 PM »
MLB.com with no mention of baseball players is odd - https://www.mlb.com

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #70: December 05, 2021, 03:00:15 PM »
They cannot access the facility.  Charlie Morton talked about this.https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-lockout-what-is-and-isnt-allowed-to-happen-during-baseballs-work-stoppage/

Could a player sign with an npb team to play next year during the stoppage?  If they’re locked out, what’s preventing a pre-arb player from signing a deal in Japan that pays him more?  And what would happen when the lockout is resolved?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #71: December 05, 2021, 03:20:18 PM »
The can sign anywhere. For a player under contract, I have no idea what would happen. I would assume a player not under contract would stay in Japan unless there is an exit clause

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #72: December 05, 2021, 03:46:11 PM »
The can sign anywhere. For a player under contract, I have no idea what would happen. I would assume a player not under contract would stay in Japan unless there is an exit clause

But theoretically, could Scherzer turn around and sign with a Japanese team for the biggest contract in NPB’s history and then jus today screw mlb?  That would be a fun court case

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #73: December 05, 2021, 10:58:43 PM »
But theoretically, could Scherzer turn around and sign with a Japanese team for the biggest contract in NPB’s history and then jus today screw mlb?  That would be a fun court case
Slow news day, folks!

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #74: December 06, 2021, 11:58:17 AM »
Speaking of days that would live in infamy  :P