Author Topic: CBA Negotiations- 2022  (Read 7515 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: Re: Extend Soto
« Topic Start: September 28, 2021, 09:39:49 PM »
So billionaire owners can be greedy “when it makes sense” but when millionaire players are greedy it’s  “bad for baseball” and there is a need to do “something about it”.
I'm just looking out for myself as a fan.   Also not just from a Nats perspective, as the Red Sox, Astros and Cubs are letting their big guys go too.  The CBA is funneling the big money to guys past their prime, and the well run clubs have grown wise to that not making sense.

The owners are going to spend about the same anyways, I think there needs to be a correction on where they spend money.   From a purely unemotional perspective, it was absolutely the right decision to keep Rendon and Harper through their cost controlled years, and not give them an extension during those years that would have taken away that advantage.   There should be some risk/reward thoughts in players to take the sure money now in exchange for not risking it all for most possible years and dollars, but Boras has convinced his players to take the risk nearly every time.   It's created a situation where there is no incentive for a team to sign a player (and lose the advantage of being able to build around cost controlled stars), and no incentive for a player to sign an extension into free agency.