Author Topic: Barstool Sports and the MLB  (Read 214 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 2022
Barstool Sports and the MLB
« Topic Start: August 10, 2021, 01:34:04 AM »
MLB in talks to air midweek games on Barstool Sports with a focus on gambling:

https://www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2021/08/09/barstool-sports-mlb-possible-broadcast-deal-talks

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Barstool Sports and the MLB
« Reply #1: August 10, 2021, 08:32:57 AM »
Seems like something a healthy league with a growing and strong fan base would consider /s

Offline English Natsie

• Meowser says hello - and Titan Up
« Reply #2: August 10, 2021, 09:28:03 AM »
Unbelieveable that MLB should consider this, just when efforts elsewhere are to reduce gambling's influence on sponsorship, adveritising, and so on because of the potentially harmful effects of gambling, on individuals, families and wider society. Not something I would expect from a socially responsible industry. :(

KERCHINGGGGG!!!

Offline welch

• 2019: Won the fight
« Reply #3: August 10, 2021, 10:51:19 AM »
Unbelieveable that MLB should consider this, just when efforts elsewhere are to reduce gambling's influence on sponsorship, adveritising, and so on because of the potentially harmful effects of gambling, on individuals, families and wider society. Not something I would expect from a socially responsible industry. :(

KERCHINGGGGG!!!

Absolutely right. Unless MLB wants to bring back Shoeless Joe Jackson and Pete "The Cheat" Rose. Sick stuff.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: August 10, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »
Portnoy has almost 4 million followers on instagram. Barstool Sports has a number of baseball specific enterprises. This is a good idea for MLB.

Partnering with Barstool wont lead to a gambling issue with players anymore than partnering with alcohol companies led to players drinking and driving.

Offline nfotiu

• Juan Soto aka Human Wildcat
« Reply #5: August 10, 2021, 12:05:32 PM »
All the leagues see gambling money as a replacement for the cable subsidized RSN money that is drying up.   I don't have any moral issues about it or concerns with players.  TV broadcasts that start focusing more on gambling than the game itself are going to really turn me off watching though.   With Bally's name on the Sinclair RSNs, this and increasing segments by Draft Kings or whatever just really take away from the experience of watching games for the sport IMO.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: August 10, 2021, 12:06:12 PM »
This is a gambling play 100% and just offers a simulcast on Barstool's platform. Sports betting is here to stay and is ingrained in the sports culture. I think Barstool is stupid but this is a nothingburger.

I agree with nfotiu that broadcasts that pester you with spreads and props and crap non-stop are annoying and think it's only going to get worse. I don't need live spread updates.

Offline nfotiu

• Juan Soto aka Human Wildcat
« Reply #7: August 10, 2021, 12:43:27 PM »
I feel like this move could put us to the point of announcers talking about what the Nats have to do to cover the spread going into the 9th, or that Soto needs just one hit this AB to win a prop bet or promoting prop bets between innings or during games.  I think I'm out if it goes down that road.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: August 10, 2021, 12:49:07 PM »
All the leagues see gambling money as a replacement for the cable subsidized RSN money that is drying up.   I don't have any moral issues about it or concerns with players.  TV broadcasts that start focusing more on gambling than the game itself are going to really turn me off watching though.   With Bally's name on the Sinclair RSNs, this and increasing segments by Draft Kings or whatever just really take away from the experience of watching games for the sport IMO.

That seems like it lasts until sports books starts advertising based on better lines thanks to a lack of licensing fees

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: August 10, 2021, 01:04:41 PM »
I feel like this move could put us to the point of announcers talking about what the Nats have to do to cover the spread going into the 9th, or that Soto needs just one hit this AB to win a prop bet or promoting prop bets between innings or during games.  I think I'm out if it goes down that road.

There used to be a wink-wink with Al Michaels and the spread but that was it. If we start going down that path, man, freak that.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #10: August 10, 2021, 04:17:12 PM »
I like the idea of Barstool getting younger people more interested in baseball, and I've nothing against people gambling but yea hearing people drone on about hedging and covering and whatever else mumbo jumbo betting language is out there makes my ears bleed.