Author Topic: Brainstorming Collective Bargaining Agreement Changes  (Read 390 times)

Online nfotiu

I think a big problem with MLB's CBA is the disincentive to sign your own stars.   Most other sports better allow teams to keep their home grown stars if they want to.   When you have an agent like Scott Boras, there really is no leverage to the team holding the rights over any other potential bidder.   He and his clients don't place any value on the security of signing a big contract well before free agency, and teams give up all the benefit of team control years if they give a big extension.   I think it hurts the game to have so many stars leaving in their late 20s and there should be some mechanisms to encourage this.   I don't know if either side cares about that enough to negotiate for it though.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Re: Re: Re: Most popular players are now gone
« Reply #1: August 05, 2021, 11:34:04 AM »
I think a big problem with MLB's CBA is the disincentive to sign your own stars.   Most other sports better allow teams to keep their home grown stars if they want to.   When you have an agent like Scott Boras, there really is no leverage to the team holding the rights over any other potential bidder.   He and his clients don't place any value on the security of signing a big contract well before free agency, and teams give up all the benefit of team control years if they give a big extension.   I think it hurts the game to have so many stars leaving in their late 20s and there should be some mechanisms to encourage this.   I don't know if either side cares about that enough to negotiate for it though.

So something like a when a player first hits free agency it could be restricted and the previous team gets the right to match any contract?  This could conceivably lead to mlb doing sign and trades which would greatly benefit compensation for small market clubs.

Or maybe they could do something where a player that debuts with your club only has 75% of their money count towards the luxury cap.

Also maybe revenue sharing money should go towards a pool that mlb could use to help small market clubs pay for extensions for their stars.

A mid level exception?

Idk I’m just throwing things against the wall.  Something more NBA like could work.  It definitely is problematic though how even small market nba teams give out super max contracts.  Maybe mlb should implement a salary floor?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #2: August 05, 2021, 12:05:29 PM »
So something like a when a player first hits free agency it could be restricted and the previous team gets the right to match any contract?  This could conceivably lead to mlb doing sign and trades which would greatly benefit compensation for small market clubs.

Or maybe they could do something where a player that debuts with your club only has 75% of their money count towards the luxury cap.

Also maybe revenue sharing money should go towards a pool that mlb could use to help small market clubs pay for extensions for their stars.

A mid level exception?

Idk I’m just throwing things against the wall.  Something more NBA like could work.  It definitely is problematic though how even small market nba teams give out super max contracts.  Maybe mlb should implement a salary floor?

I think we should break this out into a thread specifically on CBA stuff. I'd love to get into dialogue there to see how others feel about what makes sense for both Ayers and owners, and how to best work MLB into the 21st century, because it's still very antiquated.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #3: August 05, 2021, 12:06:38 PM »
I think we should break this out into a thread specifically on CBA stuff. I'd love to get into dialogue there to see how others feel about what makes sense for both Ayers and owners, and how to best work MLB into the 21st century, because it's still very antiquated.

I agree!  Mods plz mod

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: August 05, 2021, 12:43:14 PM »

A mid level exception?

Of course it does not seem to make the small and mid market nba teams more competitive in general. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #5: August 05, 2021, 12:53:00 PM »
Of course it does not seem to make the small and mid market nba teams more competitive in general. 

'The hardest place from which to advance in sports is from the middle of the pack in the NBA'

- Ken Beatrice

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: August 05, 2021, 01:14:25 PM »

A mid level exception?

this sounds like the kernel of a good idea.  Some sort of break for original teams re-signing their players. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: August 05, 2021, 04:11:13 PM »
this sounds like the kernel of a good idea.  Some sort of break for original teams re-signing their players. 

it only matters if the team is willing to pay near the cap in the first place. I think it would just further embitter Pirates/Indians/Os fans

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
it only matters if the team is willing to pay near the cap in the first place. I think it would just further embitter Pirates/Indians/Os fans

Then I advocate for revenue sharing money to be divided amongst the small market teams and the only thing it can be used for is player acquisition at the mlb level.  Like all the teams that get revenue sharing get one $10 a year million player paid for with this money.  Sort of like the mid level exception in the nba except paid for by the league and only the bad teams get it.

Offline UMDNats

The Pirates and Orioles aren't run to win games, they're run to make money for their owners. That's all that matters. Their owners will never go for any changes to revenue sharing that puts less money directly in their pockets.

Offline Count Walewski

The Pirates and Orioles aren't run to win games, they're run to make money for their owners. That's all that matters. Their owners will never go for any changes to revenue sharing that puts less money directly in their pockets.

Unless it's the alternative to something that puts even less money directly in their pockets.

I think the players will push for faster free agency. Would the owners be willing to settle for faster arbitration?

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
The 75% rule makes some sense. However, "small market teams" sell their players because they cannot afford long contracts. It's the raw salary; they seem not to care about the luxury tax.

Don't forget, though that teams colluded for years to avoid each other's free agents. A "gentleman's agreement" that held down salaries, which is background for the current system. Most of the time, though, teams own their best players until those players are nearly 30, and "the industry" now says to ignore 30-year-olds: "don't pay for what the guy was".

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
What if pet of the competitive balance pool went towards giving bonuses to drafted players who complete an 8th season with the team that drafted them? 

Also having a max year limit on contracts like the nba could help.  Smaller teams might give out more big contracts if they don’t have to run the risk of having a 10 year albatross contract.  Something like if you’ve been in the league for ten years or less, then you can only sign a deal for a max of 6 years.  Maybe give the team you debut with the sole ability to offer added years beyond that?