Author Topic: Tankathon for the 5th pick!  (Read 7984 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Tankathon for the 5th pick!
« Reply #175: October 04, 2021, 09:58:45 AM »
Boras clients used to be a Rizzo specialty...
Ah remember when the Lerners went to So Cal and wrapped up that first Strasburg extension with Boras while sipping expensive wines with their filet mignons?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #176: October 04, 2021, 10:08:28 AM »
Luckily will got Wil Crowe to replace him.
yes, this organization surely eats up guys like that.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #177: October 04, 2021, 10:18:19 AM »
There is zero reason to think that the Nationals will not be in the picture for the #1 overall pick after 2022.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #178: October 04, 2021, 11:44:25 AM »
There is zero reason to think that the Nationals will not be in the picture for the #1 overall pick after 2022.
I think you can read the writing on the wall.  Some seem to be delusional in their thoughts about big name free agents. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #179: October 04, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »
I think you can read the writing on the wall.  Some seem to be delusional in their thoughts about big name free agents. 

The Nats don't need big name free agents. They need starting pitchers and a 3B. Although Kris Bryant is available, he might be too expensive. In the just-for-laughs group of pitchers, the Nats might consider looting the Astros of Verlander and Greinke. Otherwise, Stroman and Syndegaard are free agents, but the Mets will surely bid high on Stroman, and Syndegaard is such a risk that he might, as Slateman believes, take the qualifying offer and try again next year.

Meanwhile, sign Harrison and Hudson again. Let Kieboom compete with Jake Noll and Josh H. Maybe Conforto on the cheap, since the Mets don't seem to want him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #180: October 04, 2021, 02:26:53 PM »
call me delusional, but right now I am happy with it 5 positions going into next year - rf, 1b, c, 2b/mi, and cf. I can live with the winner of Thomas/Robles and Garcia I think has earned a shot. Yadi I think has earned a roster spot, although his d is weak and his power is just ok.

It's all about the pitching, pen and a couple of starters. Corbin is not going anywhere, Gray is an mlb starter. I do not like rehabbing a partial tear, but it would be nice if there were a basis for Rizzo's belief in Ross. Big wild card is 37. If he can pitch, this is a short reload and not a multi year project

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #181: October 05, 2021, 08:15:26 AM »
The Nats don't need big name free agents. They need starting pitchers and a 3B. Although Kris Bryant is available, he might be too expensive. In the just-for-laughs group of pitchers, the Nats might consider looting the Astros of Verlander and Greinke. Otherwise, Stroman and Syndegaard are free agents, but the Mets will surely bid high on Stroman, and Syndegaard is such a risk that he might, as Slateman believes, take the qualifying offer and try again next year.

Meanwhile, sign Harrison and Hudson again. Let Kieboom compete with Jake Noll and Josh H. Maybe Conforto on the cheap, since the Mets don't seem to want him.

The Nationals need to be terrible for a few years and improve their draft position while stockpiling prospects. Free agents should be signed only to short 1-2 year deals with the intention of flipping them to contenders at the deadline if they play well, and even then only if they do not take away playing time for a young'in who needs to be developed.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #182: October 05, 2021, 11:53:46 AM »
The Nationals need to be terrible for a few years and improve their draft position while stockpiling prospects. Free agents should be signed only to short 1-2 year deals with the intention of flipping them to contenders at the deadline if they play well, and even then only if they do not take away playing time for a young'in who needs to be developed.

Looking at the trade acquisitions it seemed they were looking to be bad for 2021 and probably 2022, but not beyond that.  If you're planning to tank for a couple years you don't trade for guys who are major-league ready but instead ask for more/better prospects who are doing well in high-A or AA.   And if you're planning to tank for more than 2022, you should probably trade Soto this winter as you'd be wasting his value as he impeded your tank job and you killed any chance of him wanting to stay.

Agree on the veteran signings, though.