Author Topic: DC Eagles  (Read 748 times)

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
DC Eagles
« Topic Start: July 30, 2021, 09:37:09 AM »
Any DC Eagles fans on the Forum? :D

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: DC Eagles
« Reply #1: July 30, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »
Any DC Eagles fans on the Forum? :D
No but I like these Iggles.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #2: July 30, 2021, 11:13:15 AM »
If you subscribe to the NFL naming game someone proposed on another forum I visit, there are a lot of such. Washington finished the season as the "Washington Eagles" in this universe:

Quote from: cabiness42
Quote from: 1995hoo
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin
This season I'm following "the" Football Team just because :sombrero:.

I’ve decided I think I’ll call every team by "[City Name] Football Team" (or, for New York and LA, "[City Name] [NFC or AFC] Football Team") except for continuing to call the local team the Washington Redskins.

Let's spice things up a bit. "Football Team" gets to take an opponent's nickname when they win.

Washington beat Philadelphia in Week 1, so Washington is now the Eagles and Philadelphia is "Football Team." When Philadelphia wins their next game, they get to take the opponent's nickname and "Football Team" passes to them. See who gets stuck as "Football Team" at the end of the season.

(At the end of last year, this worked out to Washington Eagles, Philadelphia 49ers, San Francisco Rams, Los Angeles (NFC) Bears, Chicago Texans, and Houston Football Team.)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #3: July 30, 2021, 11:56:10 AM »
There was once (1939-42) a minor pro hockey club called the Washington Eagles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Eagles

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: July 30, 2021, 12:34:27 PM »
There was once (1939-42) a minor pro hockey club called the Washington Eagles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Eagles
Cool; had no idea.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #5: July 30, 2021, 12:48:43 PM »
Oh dear - perhaps some confusion. I refer to your own local Aussie Rules team - the DC Eagles! (for me, NFL wise, it's always been the Chiefs).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #6: July 30, 2021, 12:49:36 PM »
Oh dear - perhaps some confusion. I refer to your own local Aussie Rules team - the DC Eagles! (for me, NFL wise, it's always been the Chiefs).

I'm thinking of going to a game just to see in which direction the toilets flush.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #7: July 30, 2021, 01:41:39 PM »

Never heard of them. Where do they play? (I assumed you were looking for Philadelphia Football Team fans in the DC area.)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #8: July 30, 2021, 02:20:44 PM »
Never heard of them. Where do they play? (I assumed you were looking for Philadelphia Football Team fans in the DC area.)

As it happens, they're playing a local derby (against Baltimore) tomorrow (31/7) - 10:00 AM   West Potomac Park in DC.  They are a USAFL (US Australian Football League) affiliated team, and are also affiliated with the AFL's West Coast Eagles (located in Perth, Western Australia - one of the AFL's top clubs), hence their adoption of the 'Eagles' name and team colours.

Perhaps some Nats fans might like to go along to bolster the support? :D

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: July 30, 2021, 03:52:23 PM »
well, a lot of good punters come out of the AFL.  If any fans can't get enough of punting by watching the Nats trades, then a bit of  time with the Eagles should satisfy you.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #10: July 31, 2021, 07:44:13 PM »
So I'm drinking with the Eagles right now.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: July 31, 2021, 08:51:56 PM »
Cool; do they think they should be in Philly?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #12: July 31, 2021, 09:08:24 PM »

And Wentz is hurt again. Coincidence?

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #13: August 01, 2021, 06:46:19 PM »
I'm pleased to report that the DCE trounced the opposition in both games of Saturday's double-header:

DCE defeated Baltimore Dockers  8 - 5 - 53  to  2 - 1 - 13

DCE defeated Philadelphia Hawks  10 - 7 - 67  to  1 - 2 - 8

So the Eagles are a perfect 3 & 0 on the season, so far. :clap:

I suppose it's slightly disconcerting that the Eagles seem to be little known in DC, but I know who they are from 3,500 miles away across an ocean...although, fair do's, I do follow the game.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #14: August 25, 2021, 07:06:11 PM »
Apologies for the delay...In the USAFL Regionals the Eagles, unfortunately, went down to defeat. :(

Philadelphia Hawks defeated the Eagles 4-5-29  to  3-6-24

New York Magpies defeated the Eagles 9-3-57  to  2-3-15

Games played at Love Park, Philadelphia.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #15: August 25, 2021, 08:58:41 PM »
Are teams forced to be named after birds? Not even birds of prey? 'freak is a magpie exactly?  Aren't they a Euro bird?

Apologies for the delay...In the USAFL Regionals the Eagles, unfortunately, went down to defeat. :(

Philadelphia Hawks defeated the Eagles 4-5-29  to  3-6-24

New York Magpies defeated the Eagles 9-3-57  to  2-3-15

Games played at Love Park, Philadelphia.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #16: August 26, 2021, 04:49:51 AM »
Are teams forced to be named after birds? Not even birds of prey? 'freak is a magpie exactly?  Aren't they a Euro bird?

Teams are named after the AFL team they are affiliated to. So New York are the 'Magpies' due to being affiliated with Collingwood - they are the Magpies because their guernsey (shirt) is black and white (this is an old English idiom - Newcastle United [EPL team] are known as the Magpies for the same reason). Philadelphia are affiliated to the Hawthorn Hawks. Keeping the birds theme going, the AFL team I support are the Adelaide Crows - the crow is a bird particularly associated with South Australia (think St Louis or Toronto, for MLB comparison). The other bird named team is the Sydney Swans - although they actually derive their name from the river upon which Sydney stands.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #17: August 26, 2021, 03:02:43 PM »
Ah.Didn't understand the AFL association. Who is DC associated with?

Teams are named after the AFL team they are affiliated to. So New York are the 'Magpies' due to being affiliated with Collingwood - they are the Magpies because their guernsey (shirt) is black and white (this is an old English idiom - Newcastle United [EPL team] are known as the Magpies for the same reason). Philadelphia are affiliated to the Hawthorn Hawks. Keeping the birds theme going, the AFL team I support are the Adelaide Crows - the crow is a bird particularly associated with South Australia (think St Louis or Toronto, for MLB comparison). The other bird named team is the Sydney Swans - although they actually derive their name from the river upon which Sydney stands.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #18: August 26, 2021, 03:20:15 PM »
The Cardinal is actually the state bird of Virginia. Which makes those bastards in St Louis even more despicable. 

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #19: August 26, 2021, 05:25:08 PM »
Ah.Didn't understand the AFL association. Who is DC associated with?

West Coast Eagles, who are based in Perth, Western Australia. Just for the record, the Crows US affiliates are the Austin Crows. The AFL regular season concluded last week - finals get underway tomorrow when Port Adelaide take on Geelong.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #20: August 27, 2021, 04:05:43 AM »
As the DC affiliate, here's the AFL website review of the 2021 season for West Coast.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/670670/eagles-2021-report-card-flag-contender-to-bust-after-horror-campaign

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #21: September 10, 2021, 08:52:44 AM »
In a surprisingly one-sided AFL Preliminary Final, Melbourne Demons defeated Geelong Cats  19 - 11 - 125 to  6-6-42 to advance to the Grand Final, on Saturday 9/25.

Port Adelaide Power and Western Bulldogs meet in the second Preliminary Final tomorrow.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #22: September 10, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
The Eagles play their next home game tomorrow, against Philadelphia Hawks - 11:00 AM, West Potomac Park.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #23: September 11, 2021, 08:37:37 AM »
Today's Preliminary Final was another surprisingly one-sided game - Western Bulldogs defeated Port Adelaide  17-14-116  to  6-9-45. Port didn't really get going until the third quarter, by which time the Doggies were out of sight.

Anyway, as a Crows fan, it's always very satisfying to watch Port getting stuffed... :hysterical: :clap:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: September 11, 2021, 10:03:27 AM »
Today's Preliminary Final was another surprisingly one-sided game - Western Bulldogs defeated Port Adelaide  17-14-116  to  6-9-45. Port didn't really get going until the third quarter, by which time the Doggies were out of sight.

Anyway, as a Crows fan, it's always very satisfying to watch Port getting stuffed... :hysterical: :clap:
I like the sound of Preliminary Final. Much better than semifinals.