Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Donovan Casey, OF  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Follow the Prospects: Donovan Casey, OF
« Topic Start: July 29, 2021, 11:54:18 PM »
Donovan Casey, OF

Casey did not rank on the Dodgers midseason Top 30 prospects, but he would have ranked in other, less-deep systems. Casey’s game is simple: he has big power, a big arm and swings and misses a ton. He has a 31% strikeout rate in Double-A this year, which is actually a slight improvement from his strikeout rate in 2019. Casey makes loud contact when he connects though. He has plenty of bat speed, has above-average power and is a good athlete with enough speed to be an effective basestealer. Casey’s best tool is his right arm. It’s a plus-plus cannon that is strong and accurate and allows him to make jaw-dropping throws to nail runners at third base and at the plate. He had 15 outfield assists in 2019 and only has three this year because opponents have stopped trying to run on him. His power, speed and defense give him a chance to rise as an extra outfielder and automatically make him a Top 30 prospect in the Nationals system.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Follow the Prospects: Donovan Casey, OF
« Reply #1: July 31, 2021, 06:06:58 PM »
Where does he start in the Nats' system? He's been playing at AA Tulsa and doing pretty well. Maybe Harrisburg for the rest of the season and then to Rochester?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=casey-000don

He strikes out too much, but maybe the Nats LF a year from now? Big improvement last "season".

Offline welch

« Reply #2: August 05, 2021, 09:24:09 AM »
Played CF for Harrisburg last night. 1-for-4, that one being a home run.

Offline wj73

« Reply #3: August 05, 2021, 10:34:27 AM »

…Casey makes loud contact when he connects though. …

Played CF for Harrisburg last night. 1-for-4, that one being a home run.

Kevock is right. We were there and everyone woke up when Casey hit that HR. It was definitely LOUD. I think he’s going to be fun to watch.

Offline welch

« Reply #4: August 05, 2021, 01:23:35 PM »

Kevock is right. We were there and everyone woke up when Casey hit that HR. It was definitely LOUD. I think he’s going to be fun to watch.

Ha! I just asked you about Casey in the Sad Seth Romero thread. Thanks!

Offline welch

« Reply #5: August 06, 2021, 11:11:04 PM »
Donovan Casey had a single, double, and home run, drove in two and scored three times to lead the Senators. He also stole a base.

Boc: https://www.milb.com/gameday/seawolves-vs-senators/2021/08/06/645955#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=645955

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: August 07, 2021, 10:59:20 AM »
Nationals: Donovan Casey, OF (No. 27), Double-A Harrisburg
Since being acquired as part of the package for Max Scherzer and Trea Turner, Casey has had a nice introduction to the Nationals farm system. The switch-hitter notched three hits and swatted his 13th dinger of the season, finishing a triple shy of the cycle with two RBIs, three runs scored and a stolen base. It was the 11th time he’s had three or more hits in a game this year. Since joining the Nationals organization, Casey has gone 6-for-16 over four games with two homers, a double, four RBIs and a stolen base.

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/top-prospect-performers-for-august-6-2021?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #7: August 18, 2021, 02:07:36 PM »
1-4 with a double in his AAA debut last night.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him be a September call up.  I know we only get two callups in September now. Starting to think/hoping that we cut some vets like parra to make more room for callups.  Ideally I’d want to see Casey, Ruiz, and an arm or two.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: August 18, 2021, 02:10:39 PM »
1-4 with a double in his AAA debut last night.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him be a September call up.  I know we only get two callups in September now. Starting to think/hoping that we cut some vets like parra to make more room for callups.  Ideally I’d want to see Casey, Ruiz, and an arm or two.

it's criminal if Jake Noll doesn't get called up.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: August 18, 2021, 02:11:30 PM »

why? he's a 27-year-old, no-defense, .850 OPS AAA hitter. why does he need a look? not worth burning a 40-man spot on a guy who at best is a taxi squad guy

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #10: August 18, 2021, 02:27:25 PM »
Jake Noll has cooled off a bit, still I am thinking there must be thinking there were non-baseball reasons not to bring up a guy who could fill in at 5 spots and was mashing in AAA.

I'd like to see Donovan Casey some burn in majors. Other than Ruiz, not much else in the high minors I want to see.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: August 18, 2021, 02:39:04 PM »
Jake Noll has cooled off a bit, still I am thinking there must be thinking there were non-baseball reasons not to bring up a guy who could fill in at 5 spots and was mashing in AAA.

I'd like to see Donovan Casey some burn in majors. Other than Ruiz, not much else in the high minors I want to see.
they view him primarily as a right handed hitting first baseman.  That's Zimmerman's job.  The other positions have depth pieces already who field much better.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #12: August 18, 2021, 03:05:01 PM »
I see Casey staying in aaa til their season ends.  Unles she craters, I see him coming up for September.  Maybe see who between him and lane Thomas can be the RH backup of next year akin to barerra and adams competing

Offline GataNats

« Reply #13: August 19, 2021, 12:01:58 AM »
Cronin has to be a call up.   DFA Sanchez

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: August 19, 2021, 08:29:39 AM »
why is this in the casey thread?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #15: August 19, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »

Mods are falling down on the job?   :shrug:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #16: August 19, 2021, 09:02:35 AM »
Mods are falling down on the job?   :shrug:
DFA imref :whip:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: August 19, 2021, 09:47:39 AM »
I can't tell if he meant Casey or Cronin.  He says to cut Sanchez, who is a position player, to bring up "Cronin."  Normally, you swap position guys for position guys, but I think the Nats are carrying an extra position player, so he may mean Cronin / Sanchez to get back to a normal balance, which would beg the question of why in this thread.  IF he meant a straight position player for position player, then "Cronin" is a typo and he meant Casey (begging the question of why 3 back up outfielders and no back up for 2d/SS/3d). 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18: August 30, 2021, 02:22:09 PM »
Casey, 25, first played for the Class AA Harrisburg Senators and had 17 hits, including three homers, a triple and two doubles, in 49 at-bats. In a limited sample, he shaved down the high strikeout rate he had with the Dodgers’ Class AA affiliate. He was quickly promoted and has been more than solid for the Class AAA Rochester Red Wings, even if his strikeouts have ticked back up a bit. The Nationals like that he could play all three outfield positions.

This year, teams will get only two additional spots for September, meaning space will be tight. Casey could get a test run in a crowded outfield picture, though he needs to leapfrog Andrew Stevenson and get a 40-man roster spot before he’s activated. Ford, who is already on the 40-man, is less likely to get a call in the coming weeks.

“A lot of that had to come from my approach and looking to drive the baseball,” Casey said when asked about his spike in power in 2021. "In college, I was more line drives, hit a groundball and move runners type of hitter. As I kind of developed and learned more about how the approach works, that’s all I do: early in counts, looking for your pitch.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/08/30/nationals-are-carrying-six-their-14-new-players-whos-next/

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: September 03, 2021, 06:46:55 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/09/03/donovan-casey-nationals-prospect/

To understand Donovan Casey, to show his obvious strengths and one big flaw, his 2019 stat line is a good place to start. With the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes, the high-Class A affiliate of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Casey bashed 20 homers, stole 20 bases and struck out 140 times, more than 31 percent of his plate appearances. He was both dynamic — a word often used by former coaches and teammates to describe him — while searching for the right blend of aggression and patience in the box.
Immediately, he’s on the outside looking in at the outfield picture. Glancing ahead to spring training in 2022, though, there should be plenty of room to advance. Parra, 34, is almost certainly gone after this year. Stevenson is out of minor league options after this season, meaning the Nationals will have to carry him on their next Opening Day roster or put him on waivers, allowing the other 29 teams to claim the 27-year-old. And Robles, who’s struggled since the beginning of 2020, is now in a tricky situation.
Casey arrived with a loose feel for outfield routes and left college as a polished defender. He also displayed little power there — hitting four homers in three seasons — until his numbers jumped with the Quakes in 2019. That’s when his homers and strikeouts moved in tandem, as if attached by a string.

The next step is bottling the pop, even adding some, while smoothing out the holes. He doesn’t have to rush.

“When I try to go out and try to do too much, and try to perfect a swing or perfect an approach, you think more about that than you do about going into that game and just playing,” Casey said of what the minors have taught him. “So that’s where it can be a downfall sometimes, but I’ve learned a lot now and it’s a lot easier for me.”

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #20: September 03, 2021, 06:50:00 PM »
The new Michael A Taylor

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: September 03, 2021, 07:08:50 PM »
The new Michael A Taylor
sounds like he's not going to be rushed.  I like the fact that there's guys ahead of him and he'll have to earn his way onto the roster.  It's different from when it was MAT or Destin Hood, and that's it.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #22: September 03, 2021, 08:09:46 PM »
He probably starts next year at AAA and gets a call up when we have our first outfield injury.

Hope he goes to the AFL.  He’d be old, but if he can perform well against the best the minors have to offer then it could be telling of the improvements he’s made

Offline welch

« Reply #24: January 14, 2022, 03:56:26 PM »

Good spot, GataNats. I predict Joe Cronin will be a Hall of Famer. Surefire. Likely 6 - 8 WAR for the Nats, .300 hitter, with about .890 OPS. Maybe even a player-manager.