Author Topic: Completed deadline deals - 2021  (Read 11629 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Completed deadline deals - 2021
« Reply #75: July 29, 2021, 11:37:35 PM »
Hudson to the Padres per Leatherpants Mannywig (Bowden). Return is Mason Thompson.

That seems like a heck of a return. He's had a high ERA in a hitter friendly league, but throws high-90s and has been closing. 8.1 K/9.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #76: July 29, 2021, 11:43:52 PM »
Still reviewing Schwarber, but other three deals Rizzo has crushed.

Good day for the Nationals. Rebuilding the farm.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #77: July 29, 2021, 11:51:39 PM »
BA:

The Dodgers have a history of being active at the trade deadline under president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman. They acquired Rich Hill and Josh Reddick from the A’s in 2016, Yu Darvish from the Rangers in 2017 and Manny Machado from the Orioles in 2018.

But in each deal, the Dodgers held onto their best prospects. More often than not, they’ve been unwilling to part with the best their farm system has to offer during the season.

On Thursday, that changed in a big way.

The Dodgers reportedly acquired Max Scherzer and Trea Turner from the Nationals in exchange for Triple-A catcher Keibert Ruiz, righthander Josiah Gray, Double-A righthander Gerardo Carrillo and Double-A outfielder Donovan Casey in what would be the most significant deal of the trade deadline so far this year.

The deal is not yet official. The Washington Post's Jesse Dougherty was first to report the full trade return.

Ruiz ranked as the Dodgers No. 1 prospect in their midseason update and Gray ranked No. 4. Carrillo ranked No. 22 and Casey just missed the Top 30.

Scherzer gives the Dodgers yet another elite starter, and he couldn’t be arriving at a better time. Clayton Kershaw is on the injured list with forearm inflammation, Trevor Bauer is on administrative leave while being investigated for sexual assault, Dustin May is out for the season after having Tommy John surgery and David Price has yet to give the Dodgers much length after transitioning from the bullpen to the rotation earlier this month.

And that’s to say nothing of Turner, who is in the midst of the best full season of his career and gives the Dodgers an alternative at shortstop if Corey Seager, who has missed time with a broken hand but is expected to return this weekend, continues to deal with injuries. Turner also won’t be a free agent until after the 2022 season, while Seager is a free agent the end of this year.

For the Nationals, it marks the end of an era for two of the team’s greatest stars and cornerstones of their 2019 World Series championship team. It also adds a significant injection of talent into baseball’s worst farm system. Ruiz immediately becomes the Nationals No. 1 prospect and Gray becomes their No. 3 prospect.

NATIONALS ACQUIRE

Keibert Ruiz, C

Ruiz is the third-best catching prospect in baseball and the No. 16 prospect overall. The switch-hitter has elite strike-zone discipline, almost never swings and misses and has excellent plate coverage. Even when he’s fooled, he has special hand-eye coordination that allows him to put almost any ball in play. He is a consensus plus hitter and should has all the skills to hit .300 in his best years. Ruiz previously struggled to tap into power, but he got stronger and improved his pitch selection this year to pick out better pitches to drive. He’s hit career-high 17 home runs in only 58 games this year, doing most of his damage in one of Triple-A West’s few pitcher-friendly parks in Oklahoma City. Ruiz’s lefthanded swing is much more impactful than his righthanded swing, but he is able to make contact from both sides. Ruiz’s defense has steadily improved to make him an all-around contributor. He is an above-average receiver, has a feel for timing on blocks and has improved his game-calling, which was previously a weak point. Ruiz’s arm strength is fringy to average and plays down due to occasional footwork and transfer issues. Opponents run on him freely and stole 27 bases in 33 attempts against him this year. Ruiz has the potential to be one of the best-hitting catchers in baseball. His defense still needs polish, but he has the skills to remain behind the plate and is nearly ready for an everyday job in the majors.

Josiah Gray, RHP

Gray is the No. 68 prospect in baseball and is ready to step into the Nationals rotation from day one. He is a strong, athletic righthander who was previously a shortstop and has a fresh, powerful arm. Gray’s fastball is a dominant pitch that ranges from 93-97 mph and plays up with late running life. Other pitchers throw harder, but Gray misses more bats because he commands his fastball and holds its velocity and life deep into outings. His sharp slider is an above-average, swing-and-miss pitch he commands well to give him a go-to secondary offering. Gray’s changeup remains a work in progress. He has worked to add tail and drop to it and it flashes average at its best, but too often he throws it too hard in the upper-80s and it stays straight over the plate, where batters unload on it. Gray has a noted competitive streak and rises to his best in big matchups. He attacks the strike zone aggressively with above-average control and stays composed in high-profile settings. Gray has all the ingredients to be a mid-rotation starter if he can improve his changeup just a tick more. Otherwise, the quality of his fastball and slider are good enough to get him through a lineup two times and make him a solid back of the rotation starter. Gray did miss the season’s first two months with shoulder inflammation, but he has otherwise stayed healthy and showed he was durable with 130.1 innings in his first full professional season in 2019.

Gerardo Carrillo, RHP

Carrillo was the Dodgers No. 22 prospect in their midseason rankings. He is an undersized rigthander with a huge arm but very little control. He went 3-2, 4.25 in 15 appearances (14 starts) with Double-A Tulsa this year. He had 70 strikeouts in 59.1 innings, but also 29 walks and 16 hit batters. Carrillo generates huge run and sink on his 94-97 mph fastball and can reach 99. His short, 89-91 mph slider is another swing-and-miss pitch that moves in the opposite direction and he’ll flash an average changeup. Carrillo generates his velocity with remarkable ease for his size, but often has no idea where the ball is going from one pitch to the next. He’s completed five innings only three times in 14 starts this year and has a habit of looking great for one inning and falling apart the next. Carrillo doesn’t have the control to start, but his power stuff should play even better in one-inning stints. If he shows he can throw strikes more consistently in one-inning bursts, he has a chance to be a high-leverage reliever.

Donovan Casey, OF

Casey did not rank on the Dodgers midseason Top 30 prospects, but he would have ranked in other, less-deep systems. Casey’s game is simple: he has big power, a big arm and swings and misses a ton. He has a 31% strikeout rate in Double-A this year, which is actually a slight improvement from his strikeout rate in 2019. Casey makes loud contact when he connects though. He has plenty of bat speed, has above-average power and is a good athlete with enough speed to be an effective basestealer. Casey’s best tool is his right arm. It’s a plus-plus cannon that is strong and accurate and allows him to make jaw-dropping throws to nail runners at third base and at the plate. He had 15 outfield assists in 2019 and only has three this year because opponents have stopped trying to run on him. His power, speed and defense give him a chance to rise as an extra outfielder and automatically make him a Top 30 prospect in the Nationals system.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #78: July 30, 2021, 12:00:37 AM »
Sounds like Donovan Casey is Michael A. Taylor. Welch will be so happy (I kid I kid)!

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #79: July 30, 2021, 12:01:40 AM »
Sounds like Donovan Casey is Michael A. Taylor. Welch will be so happy (I kid I kid)!

Sounds more like Steven Souza.  Maybe the Padres will give us Abrams and gore for him next year!

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #80: July 30, 2021, 12:01:49 AM »
Nats also getting Jordy Barley for Hudson.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #81: July 30, 2021, 12:05:44 AM »
Catcher has gone from the weakest position  of depth in our organization to its deepest overnight.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #82: July 30, 2021, 12:29:46 AM »
Nats also getting Jordy Barley for Hudson.

A SS from San Diego?  Hmmm

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #83: July 30, 2021, 07:53:20 AM »
Adding Ruiz and Adams to Barrera, Nats have three backstops who need major league time. I hope they get creative and try to keep all three on roster while giving Adams some time in LF and spelling Bell at 1B. If Barrera keeps hitting, he may earn some time in LF as well.

I’d just rather see those three getting at bats than Parra or Hernandez.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #84: July 30, 2021, 08:12:32 AM »
Adding Ruiz and Adams to Barrera, Nats have three backstops who need major league time. I hope they get creative and try to keep all three on roster while giving Adams some time in LF and spelling Bell at 1B. If Barrera keeps hitting, he may earn some time in LF as well.

I’d just rather see those three getting at bats than Parra or Hernandez.

With Ruiz's issues throwing out runners I wonder if he should move to first assuming his power jump this season is legit.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #85: July 30, 2021, 08:23:00 AM »

Ha! If Casey is fast enough to play CF, I might be happier, but I do hate strikeouts. Hated Espinosa's hitting.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #86: July 30, 2021, 08:26:56 AM »
Casey is a right handed version of Stevenson

Offline hotshot

« Reply #87: July 30, 2021, 08:30:52 AM »
Sounds like overrating of current Nats farm system to say Casey will be Top 30. Higher than that I expect.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #88: July 30, 2021, 08:43:06 AM »
With Ruiz's issues throwing out runners I wonder if he should move to first assuming his power jump this season is legit.

If the power jump is real, then my guess is Ruiz spends a lot of time spelling Bell before becoming his replacement in 2023.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #89: July 30, 2021, 08:49:13 AM »
An NL DH is probably also coming in the next CBA, if you have too many catchers.

Offline welch

« Reply #90: July 30, 2021, 08:51:38 AM »

Hudson for:

Early Friday morning, the Nats announced the trade of right-hander Daniel Hudson to the Padres in exchange for righty Mason Thompson and infielder Jordy Barley. Thompson enters the Nationals’ top 30 prospect list ranked No. 13 and Barley is ranked No. 23, per MLB Pipeline.

Thompson was 3-2 with a 5.74 ERA and seven saves over 26 2/3 innings (24 games) with Triple-A El Paso this season. He also appeared in three frames for the Padres, who selected him in the third round of the 2016 Draft. The 23-year-old is listed as ​​6-foot-7, 223 pounds.

Barley hit .240/.333/.388 with 58 hits, 28 RBIs, eight home runs and 43 runs scored for Low-A Lake Elsinore this season. He led all Padres Minor Leaguers with 33 stolen bases. The 21-year-old signed with San Diego as an international free agent in 2016.

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/nationals-trade-daniel-hudson-to-padres

Prior to his San Diego days, Thompson required Tommy John surgery as a junior in high school and pitched just one inning as a senior. But the Padres liked Thompson enough to make him a third-round pick in 2016, taking him 85th overall, then giving him a $1.75 million bonus. Injuries continued to affect Thompson, who missed time early in his pro career with biceps tendinitis, shoulder inflammation and a leg injury after he was hit with a comebacker. But his stuff didn’t get any less electric.

Fully healthy for the first time as a pro, Thompson was a standout during the Padres’ 2020 instructional camp pitching in a relief-only role for the first time. Bigger and stronger after the shutdown, the 6-foot-7 right-hander showcased explosive stuff in an upper-90s fastball and a power slider, missing bats with both. He still has a curveball and changeup at his disposal from his days as a starter, though both secondary offerings are likely to take a back seat in his role. Thompson has a clean delivery despite his injury history, though questions remain about his durability.

The Padres were so impressed with Thompson’s performance during instructional league that they added him to the 40-man roster in November rather than risk exposing him to the Rule 5 Draft. They later gave him his Major League debut in 2021, and the Nationals thought enough of Thompson to make him the main prospect piece in a Deadline deal for Daniel Hudson. Still early in his transition to full relief, Thompson could become an eventual bullpen force down the line in Washington.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #91: July 30, 2021, 10:49:39 AM »
Casey is a right handed version of Stevenson
\
Solely based on his Dodgers pedigree, I hope for more.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #92: July 30, 2021, 10:50:35 AM »
Does Ruiz maybe sound like Wilson Ramos to anyone?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #93: July 30, 2021, 10:52:47 AM »
Does Ruiz maybe sound like Wilson Ramos to anyone?
I feel like Wilson Ramos came in with a polished defensive reputation, where Kelbert Ruiz is a few homers from being sent to 1B.

Offline Section214

« Reply #94: July 30, 2021, 10:54:32 AM »
I feel like Wilson Ramos came in with a polished defensive reputation, where Kelbert Ruiz is a few homers from being sent to 1B.

With his hit tool, I think it makes more sense to send him to Rochester as a 1B this year and have him transition fully to 1B, if he is capable. It doesn't sound like he is highly regarded defensively and we need his bat in the lineup every day. We also have a glaring hole at 1B of the future so it seems like a perfect fit.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #95: July 30, 2021, 10:58:49 AM »
With his hit tool, I think it makes more sense to send him to Rochester as a 1B this year and have him transition fully to 1B, if he is capable. It doesn't sound like he is highly regarded defensively and we need his bat in the lineup every day. We also have a glaring hole at 1B of the future so it seems like a perfect fit.
I have no idea how the Nationals will use all our catchers. They're all young enough I'd lie them to play behind plate every day, but even if they send one guy down that will be hard.

Assuming they trade Gomes and Aviles sort of disappears, I'd like if they kept Barrera, Ruiz, and Adams on roster. Let them rotate while giving Ruiz and Adams burn at 1B/LF.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #96: July 30, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »

I say trade bell and have keibert be the lefty portion of the 1B platoon but have him catch vs half of lefties.  Adams and Barrera against the other lefties at C

Online Mattionals

« Reply #98: July 30, 2021, 11:56:17 AM »
I'm keeping Ruiz at Catcher. He sounds like Posey honestly. Elite bat on ball skills, maybe some power will develop. Defensively his issues are his arm (not something that can probably be worked on) and his blocking ability (definitely something that can be worked on). His value is highest at catcher, and the Nats now have other players to stick over at 1B long term.

Offline welch

« Reply #99: July 30, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »
Here is Fangraphs on Gray and Ruiz:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/scouting-the-nationals-return-for-max-scherzer-and-trea-turner/

Makes me feel better about Gray, although still no mention of the shoulder. Jesse D. mentioned it in his article, and it was noted wherever I last looked up Gray. Let's assume it's not a concern, maybe...

And good point that Max is only a rental, and that the Dodgers get only a year of Trea while the Nats can buy a free agent SS this winter. (Next for 3B and CF)