Author Topic: Completed deadline deals - 2021  (Read 12017 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Completed deadline deals - 2021
« Reply #50: July 29, 2021, 09:59:02 PM »
No, that's not what she meant. Just this year's salary.
damn

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #51: July 29, 2021, 09:59:07 PM »
No, that's not what she meant. Just this year's salary.
If the cheap ass Lerners had paid some more of this years money they would have obtained another player.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #52: July 29, 2021, 10:03:02 PM »
If the cheap ass Lerners had paid some more of this years money they would have obtained another player.
I don't think the money left owed on these almost expired contracts is substantial enough to move the needle much on the level of prospects.

Offline stanleycaps98

• I root for the laundry
« Reply #53: July 29, 2021, 10:03:32 PM »
Dodgers are taking on all of the deferred money, it sounds like.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #54: July 29, 2021, 10:06:39 PM »
That would be pretty insane if true.   Like we're saying it's plausible that the Dodgers could spend a boat load of their tv money without CBT consequences, but still crazy.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #55: July 29, 2021, 10:09:29 PM »
Chelsea Janes
@chelsea_janes
·
8m
Understand the confusion here. It's a confusing deal. But LA is paying the part of Max's salary for the time they get Max's services. Like a usual deal, but deferred.

So just the 12 million or so, not the 100 plus million.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #56: July 29, 2021, 10:09:38 PM »
I would’ve like rooting for Max on the Padres, not so much the Dodgers :?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #57: July 29, 2021, 10:10:16 PM »
That’s nice for the Lerners but does not help Rizzo at all. None of the deferred money going forward counts against payroll for the luxury tax. I would have rather had more prospects.  I am not clear why the Dodgers would take on all that money unless Max has cut some kind of deal with them to extend on the cheap.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #58: July 29, 2021, 10:10:29 PM »
I would’ve like rooting for Max on the Padres, not so much the Dodgers :?

Yeah, I was just going to hop on the Padres bandwagon. Not sure what to do now.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #59: July 29, 2021, 10:10:52 PM »
Chelsea Janes
@chelsea_janes
·
8m
Understand the confusion here. It's a confusing deal. But LA is paying the part of Max's salary for the time they get Max's services. Like a usual deal, but deferred.

So just the 12 million or so, not the 100 plus million.
Thanks. Made no sense the other way.

Online tomwvr

« Reply #60: July 29, 2021, 10:11:28 PM »
That’s nice for the Lerners but does not help Rizzo at all. None of the deferred money going forward counts against payroll for the luxury tax. I would have rather had more prospects.  I am not clear why the Dodgers would take on all that money unless Max has cut some kind of deal with them to extend on the cheap.
It sounds like only the rest of this year

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #61: July 29, 2021, 10:15:14 PM »
I’m guessing this is what it feels like to be a Marlins fan.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #62: July 29, 2021, 10:16:57 PM »
So this is a good haul.

Also, the Dodgers are incredible. To have this farm while winning so much. They got Josiah Gray from the Kemp/Puig trade and he immediately skyrocketed. Ruiz an IFA that is blocked by an even better catcher. Carillo another IFA with electric stuff. They have a stacked roster and a top 10 farm. They lose an ace and a SS (and he's headed for FA) and they trade for an ace and a SS that covers next year.

I get that we're at the end of a window, but we haven't retooled through the farm at a comparative pace.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: July 29, 2021, 10:18:50 PM »
So this is a good haul.

Also, the Dodgers are incredible. To have this farm while winning so much. They got Josiah Gray from the Kemp/Puig trade and he immediately skyrocketed. Ruiz an IFA that is blocked by an even better catcher. Carillo another IFA with electric stuff. They have a stacked roster and a top 10 farm. They lose an ace and a SS (and he's headed for FA) and they trade for an ace and a SS that covers next year.

I get that we're at the end of a window, but we haven't retooled through the farm at a comparative pace.
I would have oreferred they pay the rest of Max’s salary this year and get another player.  One would almost think they could get that return just for Turner?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #64: July 29, 2021, 10:22:32 PM »
Yeah, it's a shame the cash is part of the deal. Not sure how that affected it.

More return that Turner would have gotten alone.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #65: July 29, 2021, 10:31:03 PM »
I would have oreferred they pay the rest of Max’s salary this year and get another player.  One would almost think they could get that return just for Turner?
Retained salary only really comes into play with bad contracts with a lot of money left.  This seems pretty standard for a guy performing at or above his contract level that ends this year.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #66: July 29, 2021, 10:38:39 PM »
This return sucks, Rizzo sucks. That is all. Have a great Friday.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #67: July 29, 2021, 10:43:47 PM »
I’m guessing this is what it feels like to be a Marlins fan.

Calm down. I get it that this is literally a new thing for this franchise since 2005, but this what good teams do. This isn't the team crying poor like the Marlins or Pirates or Athletics. This is what you do when you are way out of it and have players that aren't going to help "turn it around" that are useful as trade chips. This team wasn't making the playoffs this year. This team with all it's injuries and depleted farm system of which isn't bringing up any young talent was unlikely to make the ayoffs next season.

Look at what the 2022 team would be with our current depth chart.

Starting Rotation:

Joe Ross
Erik Fedde
Paolo Espino
Austin Voth
Patrick Corbin

Catchers - Riley Adams, Tres Barrera
1B - Josh Bell
2B - Luis Garcia
SS - Trea Turner
3B - Carter Kieboom
LF - Kyle Schwarber
CF - Victor Robles
RF - Juan Soto

Bullpen:

Kyle Finnegan, Tanner Rainey, Wander Suero, Sam Clay, Jefry Rodriguez, Kyle McGowin, Ryne Harper

Bench

Andrew Stevenson OF, Yasel Antuna IF, Jake Noll IF, Daniel Palka OF

26th man - Seth Romero or Joan Adon

This doesn't strike me as a good team. So sure, the Nats sign free agents, but I fail to see how ANY number of Free Agents is going to propel this team into the postseason for any number of dollars that made sense. Even if the Nats re-signed Scherzer (still can as of me typing this) you basically trade whatever cost you save with Scherzer from his big contract with Trea's last year of arb.

This was the smart thing to do. This is what re-toolong looks like. Hell the white Sox traded Chris Sale and Adam Eaton and a myriad of other players and look at where they are right now. This is the way.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #68: July 29, 2021, 11:03:57 PM »
Schwarber to Boston for Aldo Ramirez per Dougherty. Ramirez is 20 and a potential back-end, maybe middle of the rotation, starter.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #69: July 29, 2021, 11:06:28 PM »
Schwarber to Boston for Aldo Ramirez per Dougherty.

Would have preferred Aldo Raine.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #70: July 29, 2021, 11:10:26 PM »
I'm not thrilled.

- Gray has had a pesky shoulder for a couple of months.

- Got a good catcher, after getting a good catcher for Hand.

- Carillo throws hard but has not developed control

- The OF is 25 and still in AA. He's hitting well there, but unless he goes right to Rochester and hits, he a question.

Is this something like the trade by which the Mets dumped Tom Seaver? (I have to look up the names, but the Reds sent Pat Zachrym a good starting pitcher who kept getting hurt, Dan (?) Norman, who was ready to leader the NL in homers, a guy -- centerpiece -- who was certain to be a triple-crown threat, and a tough 2B.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #71: July 29, 2021, 11:11:09 PM »
Seems like quite the haul for Schwarber. Ramirez has been dominating at A ball.

Ramirez works the top and bottom of the strike zone with four-seam and two-seam fastballs, and his velocity jumped from 91-94 in 2019 to averaging 93.5 mph and topping out at 96 more frequently in shorter stints at instructs. He has advanced feel for a mid-80s changeup that fades and sinks. When he stays on top of his upper-70s curveball, it features nice depth and gives him a solid third offering.

The most advanced young pitcher in the system, Ramirez repeats his clean delivery easily and pounds the strike zone. He has the confidence to throw any pitch in any count, and it's growing as his stuff continues to improve. He has a high floor and the possibility of winding up with a solid fastball and curve to go with a plus changeup.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #72: July 29, 2021, 11:19:44 PM »
Calm down. I get it that this is literally a new thing for this franchise since 2005, but this what good teams do. This isn't the team crying poor like the Marlins or Pirates or Athletics. This is what you do when you are way out of it and have players that aren't going to help "turn it around" that are useful as trade chips. This team wasn't making the playoffs this year. This team with all it's injuries and depleted farm system of which isn't bringing up any young talent was unlikely to make the ayoffs next season.

Look at what the 2022 team would be with our current depth chart.

Starting Rotation:

Joe Ross
Erik Fedde
Paolo Espino
Austin Voth
Patrick Corbin

Catchers - Riley Adams, Tres Barrera
1B - Josh Bell
2B - Luis Garcia
SS - Trea Turner
3B - Carter Kieboom
LF - Kyle Schwarber
CF - Victor Robles
RF - Juan Soto

Bullpen:

Kyle Finnegan, Tanner Rainey, Wander Suero, Sam Clay, Jefry Rodriguez, Kyle McGowin, Ryne Harper

Bench

Andrew Stevenson OF, Yasel Antuna IF, Jake Noll IF, Daniel Palka OF

26th man - Seth Romero or Joan Adon

This doesn't strike me as a good team. So sure, the Nats sign free agents, but I fail to see how ANY number of Free Agents is going to propel this team into the postseason for any number of dollars that made sense. Even if the Nats re-signed Scherzer (still can as of me typing this) you basically trade whatever cost you save with Scherzer from his big contract with Trea's last year of arb.

This was the smart thing to do. This is what re-toolong looks like. Hell the white Sox traded Chris Sale and Adam Eaton and a myriad of other players and look at where they are right now. This is the way.

I get what you’re saying but I just don’t think the trade was all that great. I think what they got could’ve been brought on by just reading Trea. I think they should’ve got more.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #73: July 29, 2021, 11:28:31 PM »
Hudson to the Padres per Leatherpants Mannywig (Bowden). Return is Mason Thompson.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #74: July 29, 2021, 11:34:44 PM »
Damn, games are going to be tough to watch for awhile :(