Author Topic: Mets find elbow "issue" in Kumar Rocker exam  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Mets find elbow "issue" in Kumar Rocker exam
« Reply #50: November 10, 2021, 05:49:26 PM »

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #51: November 11, 2021, 04:17:35 PM »
Boras says that Kumar Rocker will re-enter the draft next year. Article is in Newsday, and I can't read it without subscribing. Doubt anyone here has a sub, either.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #52: November 11, 2021, 04:27:18 PM »
Welch has me on ignore. :)

I just hope the formal announcement comes at midnight.

Offline welch

« Reply #53: November 11, 2021, 09:10:35 PM »
Boras says rocker will reenter the draft.

Missed that!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: November 12, 2021, 07:44:15 AM »
But will he pitch anywhere first?

Offline welch

« Reply #55: November 12, 2021, 07:25:29 PM »
But will he pitch anywhere first?

No mention. This was the first news about Rocker since he failed the physicals for the Mets. As if he had gone underground.

But maybe THE question. If Rocker pitches for an independent team, anyone can seem if his elbow is healthy. If not, who would draft someone not able to pitch?

Offline imref

« Reply #56: November 12, 2021, 07:55:50 PM »
No mention. This was the first news about Rocker since he failed the physicals for the Mets. As if he had gone underground.

But maybe THE question. If Rocker pitches for an independent team, anyone can seem if his elbow is healthy. If not, who would draft someone not able to pitch?

The Mets?

Offline imref

Offline welch

« Reply #58: February 02, 2022, 06:19:27 PM »
An update - Kumar may potentially play independent ball before reentering the ML draft:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2022/01/26/corbin-former-vanderbilt-ace-kumar-rocker-track-pitch-spring/9204838002/

From the newspaper:
"Based on my conversations with him, (Rocker) could be playing a little bit of baseball this year but it would be in an independent league but I'm still not sure about that," Corbin told reporters Wednesday. "Those are the things that he's doing with his advisement. But he's doing well, he looks great, he looks as great as he's ever looked in my opinion over the last four years, he's working out very well and he's very much on course to be very healthy and be pitching at some point. ... Unfortunate situation, but he's made the best of it."

Aside from his college coach's "very-very-very" sentence construction, it says little. Rocker might be pitching at some point for some team in 2022. Might be worth a free-agent signing with bonuses, but will a team gamble a draft choice, something in the first five rounds, on him?

Offline DPMOmaha

I haven’t paid attention on mock drafts, has he been on any of those?

Offline Slateman

I haven’t paid attention on mock drafts, has he been on any of those?
Yea, Ive seen him towards the end of the first round and in the first comp pick round. A couple I saw had him going to the Rockies. They drafted him out of high school.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Mocks are just guessing with him. It will make for some fun speculation in this year's draft as we get closer.

Offline DPMOmaha

Wouldn’t be mad if he was still there when our second round pick comes around

Offline Slateman

Offline DPMOmaha

Wouldn’t be mad if he was still there when our second round pick comes around
still feel this way

Offline Slateman

I want to see him pitch first. If he is back to throwing 92/93, then I dont touch him for the first three rounds

Offline Slateman

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I mean I figured he would look good. Does he release Medicals? That’s the thing that could really move him back to the top.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I mean I figured he would look good. Does he release Medicals? That’s the thing that could really move him back to the top.

You'd think he'd have to.  He's not going high without them.  If they look even decent, someone will take him in the first round if he's still sitting mid-90s after a couple outings.  If not, teams will assume it's still a time bomb and he's looking at 75~80% less on a bonus.

Offline welch

Must be some reason that Boras did not release medicals last year, and a serious problem that the Mets caught. Since Rocker had no surgery since then, maybe he's a second or third round take-a-chance pick.

(Of course, if Boras releases medical results now, then maybe...Of course, I keep hoping that the Nats pick him up with a later pick, then fix his arm, and then Rocker becomes a star)

Offline blue911

The Nats will draft him in the first round

Offline Slateman

The Nats will draft him in the first round
Unless he comes out and shoves AND his medicals are clean, there is no way they're taking him at number 5. Even with do little pitching in this year's draft.

Offline UMDNats

It would be a classic Rizzo move to draft Rocker at 5 but I just can't see it.

Offline Count Walewski

Rocker had another start last night and did well again. 32 strikes in 47 pitches, 5K's. Topped out at 97 mph.

What could he have in his arm that would be bad enough to scare the Mets, but allow him to hit 97-99? One of those partial UCL tears that some guys play with for years?