Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Tyler Dyson, RHP  (Read 70 times)

Offline Section214

Follow the Prospects: Tyler Dyson, RHP
« Topic Start: July 14, 2021, 02:40:57 PM »
Full Name: Tyler Dyson
Birthplace: Bradenton, FL
Bats/Throws: R/R Ht: 6' 4" Wt: 220
Draft: Round 5 (2019, WSH)
School: Florida

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/tyler-dyson-669937?stats=career-r-pitching-milb

Scouting report on MLB.com

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

Dyson was viewed as potential first-round pick going into his junior year at Florida before some early struggles cost him a spot in the Gators’ rotation. His stuff was impressive even when he struggled, though, and he pitched with more velocity while working in shorter bursts in relief. The Nationals saw untapped potential and value in Dyson as a potential starter and went nearly $150,000 over slot value to sign him after selecting him in the fifth round. He rewarded the organization with a strong debut, posting a 1.14 ERA over eight starts at Class A Short Season Auburn.

Dyson’s plus fastball carried over into pro ball as the Nationals hoped it would, with the right-hander sitting in the mid-90s and locating it well in the New York-Penn League. Dyson’s heater jumps on hitters due to his clean arm action and easy delivery, though it can be hittable when he misses his spot due to a lack of movement. Dyson’s slider lacks depth but should be an average pitch once developed, and he’ll need to make similar gains with a changeup that currently is below average

In 2019 at Auburn - 8 GS 31.2 IP 1.14 ERA 1.12 WHIP 14/8 K/BB

In 2021 he was invited to spring training before being sent to Wilmington. At Wilmington - 7 G 26.0 IP 2.77 ERA 1.12 WHIP 26/15 K/BB

Placed on the IL on 06/13 after two bad outings, I couldn't find information on the injury.

Offline imref

• Redemption
Re: Follow the Prospects: Tyler Dyson, RHP
« Reply #1: July 14, 2021, 04:46:19 PM »
thanks for all your contributions to the Farm Section 214!

Offline Section214

« Reply #2: July 14, 2021, 06:04:48 PM »
thanks for all your contributions to the Farm Section 214!

I check in on this section of the board often, figured I might as well contribute a bit. You can also thank the 3 hour meeting I had to sit through this afternoon...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: July 14, 2021, 06:10:50 PM »
I check in on this section of the board often, figured I might as well contribute a bit. You can also thank the 3 hour meeting I had to sit through this afternoon...
Yes, kudos to you.  Very helpful. 

Offline imref

• Redemption
« Reply #4: July 14, 2021, 06:40:23 PM »

:hysterical:

Online Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #5: July 15, 2021, 10:24:04 AM »
Ranked Washington Nationals #22 prospect in 2021
TRACK RECORD: Dyson went 4-0, 3.23 in 39 innings as a dynamic freshman for the 2017 College World Series-champion Florida Gators. He wasn't quite as effective the following two seasons as a weekend starter, but the Nationals still drafted him in the fifth round and signed him for $500,000. Dyson posted a 1.07 ERA in starts after signing, enhancing the Nationals belief they got a good value.

SCOUTING REPORT: Dyson attacks the strike zone with his mid-90s fastball and potentially plus slider. He also has confidence in his curveball and changeup, which work well in combination. After metrics revealed the natural sink on his fastball, he added a two-seamer to what is now a five-pitch arsenal. An infielder for much of his high school career, Dyson is a good athlete who repeats his mechanics well. He's also well prepared, having pitched in big games in college.

THE FUTURE: Dyson has the pitch mix to remain a starter. He's ready for his first full minor league season in 2021.