Author Topic: New rules for 2022  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: New rules for 2022
« Reply #25: July 14, 2021, 12:42:44 PM »
So we have seen teams sometimes in the past bring an OF into the infield with the winning run at third or bases loaded. So five infielders.  I guess that would also be illegal under these rules? Cause you would have three on one side or the other.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: July 14, 2021, 04:57:58 PM »
The happy medium here would be what they're doing in AA this year.  Shifts are still allowed, but all four infielders must have their feet on the dirt.  This bans the 2B from acting as a fourth outfielder but still preserves the strategic intent. 

I've seen ~10 games using this rule and to my eye it looks "right."  Hard-hit balls tend to go through and the extra fielder tends to scoop up the seeing-eye type hits, and those still come at the penalty of more balls going through to the opposite side.
This makes some sense.  The one hopper that's smashed but picked up by the rover / deep infielder I think is the most frustrating play.  Otherwise, I'm OK with shifting.  I think it is too fine line drawing to say you can play the SS up the middle and the 3rd baseman over towards the SS normal position.  When can the SS move to the 1B side?  After the ball leaves  the pitcher's hand?  On contact?  Rules on positioning are a bit like the old NBA rule against the zone.  The zone wasn't the problem, the shooting was and the failure to spread the floor.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27: July 14, 2021, 05:00:41 PM »
So we have seen teams sometimes in the past bring an OF into the infield with the winning run at third or bases loaded. So five infielders.  I guess that would also be illegal under these rules? Cause you would have three on one side or the other.
can someone explain the difference between playing an infielder in short right in a shift and playing with 4 outfielders against a guy who hits flies? 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #28: July 14, 2021, 06:15:47 PM »
can someone explain the difference between playing an infielder in short right in a shift and playing with 4 outfielders against a guy who hits flies?
I was thinking about that also today.  Local station had a replay of an early season Rays/Yankees game.  Rays played Jay Bruce with three infielders and four outfielders.  No one on left side of the infield.  Jay laid down a bunt and went to the pitcher and he was thrown out.  So would 4 OFs be illegal also.  Or will they have to draw a line in the OF somewhere?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #29: July 14, 2021, 08:35:42 PM »
I was thinking about that also today.  Local station had a replay of an early season Rays/Yankees game.  Rays played Jay Bruce with three infielders and four outfielders.  No one on left side of the infield.  Jay laid down a bunt and went to the pitcher and he was thrown out.  So would 4 OFs be illegal also.  Or will they have to draw a line in the OF somewhere?

4 OFs would be illegal. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #30: July 14, 2021, 08:37:58 PM »
4 OFs would be illegal.
LOCK THEM UP! 

5 infielders too I guess.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #31: July 14, 2021, 09:05:28 PM »
LOCK THEM UP! 

5 infielders too I guess.

Not sure about that, actually: I'm not sure whether specific rule is that four guys must have their feet on the infield dirt or that at least four must.  But in principle, LOCK THEM UP!

EDIT:  Apparently for the second half in AA, they'll be forcing feet on the dirt AND two infielders on each side of second.  I'll let y'all know how it looks.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: July 15, 2021, 12:52:15 PM »
Not sure about that, actually: I'm not sure whether specific rule is that four guys must have their feet on the infield dirt or that at least four must.  But in principle, LOCK THEM UP!

EDIT:  Apparently for the second half in AA, they'll be forcing feet on the dirt AND two infielders on each side of second.  I'll let y'all know how it looks.
also, there's going to be a rule that you may use a position player to pitch, but your shortstop must do a handstand when the pitcher starts his delivery.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #33: July 15, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »
also, there's going to be a rule that you may use a position player to pitch, but your shortstop must do a handstand when the pitcher starts his delivery.

What if he's in the shift?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #34: July 15, 2021, 03:07:10 PM »
I'd like to keep the 7 inning double headers.

Runner on second is stupid. I'd honestly rather the game end in a tie.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #35: July 15, 2021, 03:39:22 PM »
I'd like to keep the 7 inning double headers.

Runner on second is stupid. I'd honestly rather the game end in a tie.

if they keep the 7 inning double header, then refund a percentage of the ticket price. It's not fair to charge the same price for a 9 inning and a 7 inning game.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a class-action lawsuit against MLB over the practice this season.

I assume the 7 inning games are also costing teams money in terms of concession sales.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: July 15, 2021, 03:54:42 PM »
I get the 7 inning DHs if they were one admission, but I don't like it for day-night double headers.  I think they anticipated more doubleheaders due to COVID cancellations, which certainly was correct, and I guess the 7 inning split admissions are easier on the players than two 9 inning games. I'd imagine the 7 inning doubleheaders was a concession to the MLBPA to get them to go along with more doubleheaders, and that Manfred is pulling back on that and the other measure to shorten extra innings as negotiating leverage for the next contract.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #37: July 15, 2021, 04:57:48 PM »
I get the 7 inning DHs if they were one admission, but I don't like it for day-night double headers.  I think they anticipated more doubleheaders due to COVID cancellations, which certainly was correct, and I guess the 7 inning split admissions are easier on the players than two 9 inning games. I'd imagine the 7 inning doubleheaders was a concession to the MLBPA to get them to go along with more doubleheaders, and that Manfred is pulling back on that and the other measure to shorten extra innings as negotiating leverage for the next contract.
Honestly, I dont care. But 7 innings didnt bother me.

While we're at it, get rid of the DH and simply state that only 8 hitters are required to be in a lineup.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #38: July 15, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »
if they keep the 7 inning double header, then refund a percentage of the ticket price. It's not fair to charge the same price for a 9 inning and a 7 inning game.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a class-action lawsuit against MLB over the practice this season.

I assume the 7 inning games are also costing teams money in terms of concession sales.

By that logic wouldn't you need to pay more to stay for an extra innings game? I mean, I'm not particularly in favor of the seven inning double header, but that's just because it does things to the pitching and batting stats that are a little wonky - the 7 inning perfect game, for example. Runner on past a certain point - only thing that I'd have to consider as a counter is, like the 7 inning games, it screws with stats a tiny bit by allowing a player to get an RBI they wouldn't normally have had.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #39: July 15, 2021, 06:45:22 PM »
Honestly, I dont care. But 7 innings didnt bother me.

While we're at it, get rid of the DH and simply state that only 8 hitters are required to be in a lineup.

I like that 8 batter rule.  Nice.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #40: August 06, 2021, 04:43:55 PM »
Hitters should kill the shift.

Players are positioned where they are from experience, I think. This was the best defense. Of course, hitters could eat up any opponent that shifted the way the Indians, and then everyone else, shifted against Ted Williams. "Analytics" formalized it, but Lou Boudreau didn't need math to figured out that Williams pulled the ball, and that Williams was too proud to hit to left. (Until Ted's last couple of seasons)

Current players seems to have trouble hitting to the opposite field, because pitchers are throwing, like hard inside, where it is tough to slap the ball. Or because, like Adam LaRoche, they can only swing to pull.

Of course, there is the old baseball slogan that "Singles hitters drive Fords and home run hitters drive Cadillacs". And maybe compensation is part of the industry's obsession with home runs and strikeouts. That is a problem for owners, a collection of greedy fools who cannot be trusted to know or learn or change.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #41: August 06, 2021, 04:54:22 PM »
Hitters should kill the shift.

Players are positioned where they are from experience, I think. This was the best defense. Of course, hitters could eat up any opponent that shifted the way the Indians, and then everyone else, shifted against Ted Williams. "Analytics" formalized it, but Lou Boudreau didn't need math to figured out that Williams pulled the ball, and that Williams was too proud to hit to left. (Until Ted's last couple of seasons)

Current players seems to have trouble hitting to the opposite field, because pitchers are throwing, like hard inside, where it is tough to slap the ball. Or because, like Adam LaRoche, they can only swing to pull.

Of course, there is the old baseball slogan that "Singles hitters drive Fords and home run hitters drive Cadillacs". And maybe compensation is part of the industry's obsession with home runs and strikeouts. That is a problem for owners, a collection of greedy fools who cannot be trusted to know or learn or change.
They’ve been told by the analytics guys that going to the opposite field makes no sense. Better to have a higher launch angle and pull the ball. For home runs and extra base hits. It will be interesting to see how the analytics change going forward. The pitchers and defense seem to have regained the edge. For me for most guys I can see trying to pull the ball early in the count. Then go opposite field with two strikes.

Offline imref

« Reply #42: January 27, 2022, 10:15:44 AM »
this is an interesting idea for extra innings:
- first extra inning: each team bats with a runner starting on 2nd as is current MLB rule
- subsequent extra inning is sudden death: Home team manager decides if they want to play offense or defense. Team on offense starts with a runner on 1st and has three outs to score. If they score, they win. If they don't score, the team playing defense wins.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/01/frontier-league-announces-implementation-of-sudden-death-extra-innings-rule.html

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: January 27, 2022, 10:19:03 AM »
- first extra inning: each team bats with a runner starting on 2nd as is current MLB rule
- subsequent extra inning is sudden death: Home team manager decides if they want to play offense or defense. Team on offense starts with a runner on 1st and has three outs to score. If they score, they win. If they don't score, the team playing defense wins.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/01/frontier-league-announces-implementation-of-sudden-death-extra-innings-rule.html

Slowly turning baseball into blernsball. Manfred trying to jazz up the game to attract the kids

Offline imref

« Reply #44: January 27, 2022, 10:22:24 AM »
Slowly turning baseball into blernsball. Manfred trying to jazz up the game to attract the kids

this is better than the HR derby they tried last year. The article notes that due to roster limitations independent leagues can't handle long extra inning games.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: January 27, 2022, 10:41:18 AM »
this is better than the HR derby they tried last year. The article notes that due to roster limitations independent leagues can't handle long extra inning games.

Teams have handled it fine since the 19th century.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #46: January 27, 2022, 10:54:16 AM »

Don't like it at the MLB level. I'd prefer something more like we see in the NFL or NHL. For the regular season, two innings like normal. Then put the runner at 2nd. For the postseason, play it like normal until there's a winner. Don't need to overthink it.

Offline imref

« Reply #47: March 10, 2022, 04:13:59 PM »
with the new CBA, all covid rules are scrapped. So no more ghost runner on 2nd in extra innings, or 7 inning double-headers.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #48: March 10, 2022, 04:29:55 PM »
Universal DH is here forever  :(

Was the shift banned?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: March 10, 2022, 04:32:06 PM »
I believe the QO and loss of draft picks for free agent signings to those receiving them is gone also.