Author Topic: New rules for 2022  (Read 2676 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
New rules for 2022
« Topic Start: July 13, 2021, 08:41:36 PM »
Manfred wants to get rid of 7 inning double headers and runner on second in extra innings.  Manfred also wants to ban the shift.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/07/13/rob-manfred-mlb-all-star-game-commissioner-2021-extra-innings/7951512002/

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: New rules for 2022
« Reply #1: July 13, 2021, 09:10:23 PM »
Banning the shift is a bad idea. Bad.

I agree with reverting the other stupid changes.

Manfred wants to get rid of 7 inning double headers and runner on second in extra innings.  Manfred also wants to ban the shift.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/07/13/rob-manfred-mlb-all-star-game-commissioner-2021-extra-innings/7951512002/

Offline imref

« Reply #2: July 13, 2021, 09:11:06 PM »
How the hell do you ban the shift? Stupid.

I agree with reverting the other stupid changes.

Require two fielders on either side of second.  I assume the MI would need to keep a foot on the line running from center of home to 2nd.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3: July 13, 2021, 09:13:17 PM »
Hate it.

Require two fielders on either side of second.  I assume the MI would need to keep a foot on the line running from center of home to 2nd.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #4: July 13, 2021, 09:45:27 PM »
Manfred wants to get rid of 7 inning double headers and runner on second in extra innings.

So does 99% of the population.  Never should've be instated in the first place.  What a dipstick.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: July 13, 2021, 10:36:26 PM »
Extra inning rules made sense for last year. I wouldn't mind the base runner on 2nd after say, the 11th or something. I also open to the idea of banning the shift. I'd be curious to see what impact it has on game play.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #6: July 13, 2021, 10:44:45 PM »
Not arguing, but why? 
I also open to the idea of banning the shift. 

Offline imref

« Reply #7: July 13, 2021, 11:10:14 PM »
Not arguing, but why? 

I'm OK with banning the shift. All the analytics in the game controlling how defenders are positioned seems to have taken away a lot of the offense (maybe I'm mind-facting here). Taking away the shift might open things up a bit more.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #8: July 14, 2021, 07:03:51 AM »
I hate the shift.  There is nothing worse than seeing a line drive fielded on a hop by a guy in short RF.  And no, I don't want to see LH power hitters slapping balls to 3B or bunting.

The 7 inning DH needs to go.

I'm not sure what to think about the runner on 2nd to start extras.  As noted above, maybe do that in the 12th and beyond.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: July 14, 2021, 07:43:39 AM »
Outlawing the shift seems to be saying that offense is more important than defense.  Maybe in return they can have the offense give up something. Like no sacrifice flies. I mean who came up with the rule where you can advance on an out. 

Offline rileyn

« Reply #10: July 14, 2021, 08:35:50 AM »
Outlawing the shift seems to be saying that offense is more important than defense.  Maybe in return they can have the offense give up something. Like no sacrifice flies. I mean who came up with the rule where you can advance on an out. 
Imagine if basketball started to allow goaltending all of a sudden.  That would suck.  Offense is more important than defense.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: July 14, 2021, 08:43:03 AM »
Offense is more important than defense.
To some. I like guys who can hit the ball hard the other way instead of trying to yank everything for a home run.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: July 14, 2021, 08:47:29 AM »
Could we draw lines in the OF also so the outfielders cannot play batters too far either way. Maybe horizontal and vertical lines. So they can’t play too shallow or deep. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #13: July 14, 2021, 09:17:17 AM »
Not arguing, but why? 
I think it has the potential help the offense in ways that make the game more entertaining. Teams will still try to find ways to move players around. Sports have been legislating how teams can play defense for a long time now. And there is some measure of aesthetics to the game that is diminished when rallies are killed because a team stacks one side of the field with defenders. I get the argument that hitters need to adjust, but I think I'd be ok with seeing what some sort or shift regulations might look like. Perhaps it'd be awful, but I think it'd be less drastic from the casual viewer perspective than the extra innings rules and such.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #14: July 14, 2021, 09:22:59 AM »
To some. I like guys who can hit the ball hard the other way instead of trying to yank everything for a home run.
Everything in it's place. To the casual fan, which is really what baseball needs to have more of, they like to see runs put on the board. The diehard fan, which is what most of us on here qualify as, are going to be tuned in no matter what happens.

Could we draw lines in the OF also so the outfielders cannot play batters too far either way. Maybe horizontal and vertical lines. So they can’t play too shallow or deep. 
I mean, sure, they could do something like that. I doubt it'll be that drastic of a measure, at least visually. The NBA has rules about what kind of defense you can play. The NFL does, too. So does soccer and I think the NHL. It's not unheard of to do something like baseball is considering.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: July 14, 2021, 09:28:52 AM »
Everything in it's place. To the casual fan, which is really what baseball needs to have more of, they like to see runs put on the board. The diehard fan, which is what most of us on here qualify as, are going to be tuned in no matter what happens.
I mean, sure, they could do something like that. I doubt it'll be that drastic of a measure, at least visually. The NBA has rules about what kind of defense you can play. The NFL does, too. So does soccer and I think the NHL. It's not unheard of to do something like baseball is considering.
Sure. I just don’t understand why some fans hated the DH so much because it’s against tradition but they are ok with this?  Same with runner or base in extra innings. People seem to pick and choose which traditions are ok to change. I don’t like the idea of limiting shifts but will still watch if they do that. Still the same basic game.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #16: July 14, 2021, 09:38:04 AM »
Sure. I just don’t understand why some fans hated the DH so much because it’s against tradition but they are ok with this?  Same with runner or base in extra innings. People seem to pick and choose which traditions are ok to change. I don’t like the idea of limiting shifts but will still watch if they do that. Still the same basic game.
I mean, that's just how it goes. I think for some people, banning the DH would be on the side of restoring tradition. But yes, people definitely pick and choose. But they'd also get over it with time. There'd be a firestorm at first, but eventually that would die down.

Offline imref

« Reply #17: July 14, 2021, 10:21:41 AM »
WRT to the extra inning rule, i'd like to see them go with the runner on 2nd if the game goes to the 12th. It would help avoid the really long tie game scenarios.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #18: July 14, 2021, 10:25:03 AM »
WRT to the extra inning rule, i'd like to see them go with the runner on 2nd if the game goes to the 12th. It would help avoid the really long tie game scenarios.
How about runner on first in the 10th.  First and second in the 11th.  Bases loaded 12th.

Offline imref

« Reply #19: July 14, 2021, 10:26:04 AM »
How about runner on first in the 10th.  First and second in the 11th.  Bases loaded 12th.

I'd do at least a couple of normal extra innings.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #20: July 14, 2021, 10:35:36 AM »
I hate the shift.  There is nothing worse than seeing a line drive fielded on a hop by a guy in short RF.  And no, I don't want to see LH power hitters slapping balls to 3B or bunting.

The happy medium here would be what they're doing in AA this year.  Shifts are still allowed, but all four infielders must have their feet on the dirt.  This bans the 2B from acting as a fourth outfielder but still preserves the strategic intent. 

I've seen ~10 games using this rule and to my eye it looks "right."  Hard-hit balls tend to go through and the extra fielder tends to scoop up the seeing-eye type hits, and those still come at the penalty of more balls going through to the opposite side.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #21: July 14, 2021, 10:40:36 AM »
I'd do at least a couple of normal extra innings.
I know the NL will probably adopt the DH but with the way pitching is going they need to expand the rosters then.  You already see teams batting pitchers early in games due to the short benches.  Really need room on roster for five starters and two long relievers who can pitch 2-3 innings.  Or more roster flexibility where guys can be activated now and then for mop up duty.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #22: July 14, 2021, 11:16:05 AM »
The happy medium here would be what they're doing in AA this year.  Shifts are still allowed, but all four infielders must have their feet on the dirt.  This bans the 2B from acting as a fourth outfielder but still preserves the strategic intent. 

I've seen ~10 games using this rule and to my eye it looks "right."  Hard-hit balls tend to go through and the extra fielder tends to scoop up the seeing-eye type hits, and those still come at the penalty of more balls going through to the opposite side.

I like this idea. I also don't like positioning out of order, 3B->SS->2B->1B going clockwise starting from home plate. Don't deviate from that.

Other than this, wasn't it Manfred the Moron's idea to have the 7-inning double headers and start extra innings with a man on 2B? All of a sudden NOW he thinks its a bad idea? Worst. MLB Commissioner. Ever.

Offline imref

« Reply #23: July 14, 2021, 12:26:37 PM »
Other than this, wasn't it Manfred the Moron's idea to have the 7-inning double headers and start extra innings with a man on 2B? All of a sudden NOW he thinks its a bad idea? Worst. MLB Commissioner. Ever.

He says the rules were due to COVID, which makes no sense.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: July 14, 2021, 12:40:24 PM »
He says the rules were due to COVID, which makes no sense.
In 2020 it sort of did with lots of players missing time with Covid. Fewer innings to play overall. This year not really.