Author Topic: New rules for 2022  (Read 223 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: New rules for 2022
« Reply #25: July 14, 2021, 12:42:44 PM »
So we have seen teams sometimes in the past bring an OF into the infield with the winning run at third or bases loaded. So five infielders.  I guess that would also be illegal under these rules? Cause you would have three on one side or the other.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: July 14, 2021, 04:57:58 PM »
The happy medium here would be what they're doing in AA this year.  Shifts are still allowed, but all four infielders must have their feet on the dirt.  This bans the 2B from acting as a fourth outfielder but still preserves the strategic intent. 

I've seen ~10 games using this rule and to my eye it looks "right."  Hard-hit balls tend to go through and the extra fielder tends to scoop up the seeing-eye type hits, and those still come at the penalty of more balls going through to the opposite side.
This makes some sense.  The one hopper that's smashed but picked up by the rover / deep infielder I think is the most frustrating play.  Otherwise, I'm OK with shifting.  I think it is too fine line drawing to say you can play the SS up the middle and the 3rd baseman over towards the SS normal position.  When can the SS move to the 1B side?  After the ball leaves  the pitcher's hand?  On contact?  Rules on positioning are a bit like the old NBA rule against the zone.  The zone wasn't the problem, the shooting was and the failure to spread the floor.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27: July 14, 2021, 05:00:41 PM »
So we have seen teams sometimes in the past bring an OF into the infield with the winning run at third or bases loaded. So five infielders.  I guess that would also be illegal under these rules? Cause you would have three on one side or the other.
can someone explain the difference between playing an infielder in short right in a shift and playing with 4 outfielders against a guy who hits flies? 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #28: July 14, 2021, 06:15:47 PM »
can someone explain the difference between playing an infielder in short right in a shift and playing with 4 outfielders against a guy who hits flies?
I was thinking about that also today.  Local station had a replay of an early season Rays/Yankees game.  Rays played Jay Bruce with three infielders and four outfielders.  No one on left side of the infield.  Jay laid down a bunt and went to the pitcher and he was thrown out.  So would 4 OFs be illegal also.  Or will they have to draw a line in the OF somewhere?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #29: July 14, 2021, 08:35:42 PM »
I was thinking about that also today.  Local station had a replay of an early season Rays/Yankees game.  Rays played Jay Bruce with three infielders and four outfielders.  No one on left side of the infield.  Jay laid down a bunt and went to the pitcher and he was thrown out.  So would 4 OFs be illegal also.  Or will they have to draw a line in the OF somewhere?

4 OFs would be illegal. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #30: July 14, 2021, 08:37:58 PM »
4 OFs would be illegal.
LOCK THEM UP! 

5 infielders too I guess.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #31: July 14, 2021, 09:05:28 PM »
LOCK THEM UP! 

5 infielders too I guess.

Not sure about that, actually: I'm not sure whether specific rule is that four guys must have their feet on the infield dirt or that at least four must.  But in principle, LOCK THEM UP!

EDIT:  Apparently for the second half in AA, they'll be forcing feet on the dirt AND two infielders on each side of second.  I'll let y'all know how it looks.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: July 15, 2021, 12:52:15 PM »
Not sure about that, actually: I'm not sure whether specific rule is that four guys must have their feet on the infield dirt or that at least four must.  But in principle, LOCK THEM UP!

EDIT:  Apparently for the second half in AA, they'll be forcing feet on the dirt AND two infielders on each side of second.  I'll let y'all know how it looks.
also, there's going to be a rule that you may use a position player to pitch, but your shortstop must do a handstand when the pitcher starts his delivery.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #33: July 15, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »
also, there's going to be a rule that you may use a position player to pitch, but your shortstop must do a handstand when the pitcher starts his delivery.

What if he's in the shift?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #34: July 15, 2021, 03:07:10 PM »
I'd like to keep the 7 inning double headers.

Runner on second is stupid. I'd honestly rather the game end in a tie.

Online imref

• Redemption
« Reply #35: July 15, 2021, 03:39:22 PM »
I'd like to keep the 7 inning double headers.

Runner on second is stupid. I'd honestly rather the game end in a tie.

if they keep the 7 inning double header, then refund a percentage of the ticket price. It's not fair to charge the same price for a 9 inning and a 7 inning game.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a class-action lawsuit against MLB over the practice this season.

I assume the 7 inning games are also costing teams money in terms of concession sales.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: July 15, 2021, 03:54:42 PM »
I get the 7 inning DHs if they were one admission, but I don't like it for day-night double headers.  I think they anticipated more doubleheaders due to COVID cancellations, which certainly was correct, and I guess the 7 inning split admissions are easier on the players than two 9 inning games. I'd imagine the 7 inning doubleheaders was a concession to the MLBPA to get them to go along with more doubleheaders, and that Manfred is pulling back on that and the other measure to shorten extra innings as negotiating leverage for the next contract.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #37: July 15, 2021, 04:57:48 PM »
I get the 7 inning DHs if they were one admission, but I don't like it for day-night double headers.  I think they anticipated more doubleheaders due to COVID cancellations, which certainly was correct, and I guess the 7 inning split admissions are easier on the players than two 9 inning games. I'd imagine the 7 inning doubleheaders was a concession to the MLBPA to get them to go along with more doubleheaders, and that Manfred is pulling back on that and the other measure to shorten extra innings as negotiating leverage for the next contract.
Honestly, I dont care. But 7 innings didnt bother me.

While we're at it, get rid of the DH and simply state that only 8 hitters are required to be in a lineup.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #38: July 15, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »
if they keep the 7 inning double header, then refund a percentage of the ticket price. It's not fair to charge the same price for a 9 inning and a 7 inning game.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a class-action lawsuit against MLB over the practice this season.

I assume the 7 inning games are also costing teams money in terms of concession sales.

By that logic wouldn't you need to pay more to stay for an extra innings game? I mean, I'm not particularly in favor of the seven inning double header, but that's just because it does things to the pitching and batting stats that are a little wonky - the 7 inning perfect game, for example. Runner on past a certain point - only thing that I'd have to consider as a counter is, like the 7 inning games, it screws with stats a tiny bit by allowing a player to get an RBI they wouldn't normally have had.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #39: July 15, 2021, 06:45:22 PM »
Honestly, I dont care. But 7 innings didnt bother me.

While we're at it, get rid of the DH and simply state that only 8 hitters are required to be in a lineup.

I like that 8 batter rule.  Nice.