Author Topic: I Think I Like Alcides Escobar  (Read 868 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I Think I Like Alcides Escobar
« Topic Start: July 06, 2021, 05:30:56 PM »

I like Escobar, at least until somebody else comes along to hit .583.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: I Think I Like Alcides Escobar
« Reply #1: July 06, 2021, 05:50:51 PM »
The bat will cool majorly.

But unless last evening was a sign of a Robles breakthrough, then I’d like to see him getting reps in CF.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: July 06, 2021, 08:54:57 PM »
Look, this guy at his best has barely peformed as well as Robles IN 2021!!!

You think I am exaggerating? Robles obp in 2021- .332. Escobar's highest obp in a season with over 200 plate appearances- .331.  Robles 's ops in 2021- .649. Escobar's career ops- .637.

I get it.  Robles is a big disappointment given his hype, but the idea somehow Escobar should be playing ahead of Robles in center is absurd

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #3: July 07, 2021, 12:42:04 AM »
Look, this guy at his best has barely peformed as well as Robles IN 2021!!!

You think I am exaggerating? Robles obp in 2021- .332. Escobar's highest obp in a season with over 200 plate appearances- .331.  Robles 's ops in 2021- .649. Escobar's career ops- .637.

I get it.  Robles is a big disappointment given his hype, but the idea somehow Escobar should be playing ahead of Robles in center is absurd

When you count defense and base running, the Escobar argument makes a bit more sense.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #4: July 07, 2021, 08:01:39 AM »
0-4 lasr nite. What goes up must come down

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #5: July 07, 2021, 08:51:30 AM »
0-4 lasr nite. What goes up must come down

Today’s term is “regression to the mean” boys and girls.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #6: July 07, 2021, 09:21:12 AM »
Today’s term is “regression to the mean” boys and girls.
Sorry I’m old and it is an old sailing term that was frequently used when someone took a flyer.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #7: July 07, 2021, 09:58:42 AM »
I think "Alcides Escobar" is Kansas City-speak for "Jordy Mercer."

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: July 07, 2021, 11:01:49 AM »
I think "Alcides Escobar" is Kansas City-speak for "Jordy Mercer."
I'll take Mercer. 

When you count defense and base running, the Escobar argument makes a bit more sense.
Defense?  Yes, Escobar can field as infielder.  There's no way he's more effective as a CF than Robles.  I'll concede on baserunning, Bigly.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #9: July 07, 2021, 11:32:26 AM »
Defense?  Yes, Escobar can field as infielder.  There's no way he's more effective as a CF than Robles.  I'll concede on baserunning, Bigly.
To be totally honest, I'm just tired of looking at Victor Robles. Sure he is a nice person, and I'm still tired of watching him.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #10: July 07, 2021, 12:12:03 PM »
To be totally honest, I'm just tired of looking at Victor Robles. Sure he is a nice person, and I'm still tired of watching him.

He's the least bad option right now.  A conversion of a 34-year-old no-hit SS into a centerfielder would only be an improvement on the bases, where neither Robles nor Escobar spend much time.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #11: July 07, 2021, 01:31:08 PM »
A conversion of a 34-year-old no-hit SS into a centerfielder would only be an improvement on the bases, where neither Robles nor Escobar spend much time.

A painful, yet well turned phrase...  :clap:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #12: July 07, 2021, 02:08:08 PM »
He's the least bad option right now.  A conversion of a 34-year-old no-hit SS into a centerfielder would only be an improvement on the bases, where neither Robles nor Escobar spend much time.
Ok we can lock the thread. I got nothing to this mic drop.

Offline welch

« Reply #13: July 07, 2021, 02:36:35 PM »
Can Escobar replace Robles? I had never thought about that. The Nats are stuck with Robles until magic happens or they trade for a CF. Stevenson seems like a better hitter but that's just a guess. Until Robles magically learns to hit breaking pitches, there is no CF that much better.

Escobar is a good infielder and appears to be an adequate hitter. He hits a steady .250 -- his lifetime BA -- and .629 OPS. Mercer has slightly better hitting numbers. Key thing: Mercer is hurt and so is Garcia, so it's Escobar or nobody.

Given that, Escobar is a pleasant surprise.

Offline welch

« Reply #14: July 10, 2021, 08:48:36 PM »
2-for-5 with 2 RBIs today.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #15: July 10, 2021, 09:03:29 PM »
I'm wondering whether it might make sense to try him at 3B, switching him and Castro.  Castro's defense is killing them right now.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #16: July 10, 2021, 09:12:43 PM »
I'm wondering whether it might make sense to try him at 3B, switching him and Castro.  Castro's defense is killing them right now.
Its not, but okay

Offline welch

« Reply #17: July 22, 2021, 07:29:56 PM »
I like Alcides Escobar even more. "Cash considerations"?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #18: August 08, 2021, 04:26:09 PM »
Am I only person who expects and hopes the Nationals bring Escobar back next season? Slashing .276/.344/.379 in 116 ABs and looks great in the field.

I think you bring him back on an affordable contract and you know you at least have a versatile late inning defensive replacement or pinch runner. I doubt he can sustain that slash line over a full season, but if he does he is a guy who either will help put wins on the board or be able to be flipped at the deadline.

Before someone pops in about "rebuild," know that I agree. Still, Alcides Escobar being a bench player isn't going to prevent our small group of quality young positions players from getting game time. There are always going to be veterans on the bench. As terrible as this team is in the field, I'd like our bench to have a couple good gloves.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #19: August 08, 2021, 04:28:36 PM »
Maybe as a utility infielder

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #20: August 08, 2021, 04:36:16 PM »
Maybe as a utility infielder
1 year, 1 million? The Jordy Mercer contract.

For a guy who was in Omaha a few weeks back, a nice late career sign off.

Offline welch

« Reply #21: August 08, 2021, 05:23:18 PM »
Escobar is a good fielder who adds a spine to the 2B-SS-3B group. He is slick, he has an arm, and he knows how to play. Kieboom looks shaky, Garcia is raw and looks like a 2B. sign him up. And the Nats have no other middle infielders he might block, unless and until Antuna needs to play in the majors. That's a couple of years off.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: August 08, 2021, 07:33:30 PM »
I don't understand how this guy was off mlb rosters last year and this until we signed him.  Was he looking for starter money and had to adjust expectations? The glove is a real asset even if you expect the bat to slip. I am shocked he's taking walks.

Bottom line is I would be happy with him and Harrison and Bell surrounding Garcia and Kieboom next year. Sign a SS who is overlooked like Semien was this year and we'd be ok.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #23: August 08, 2021, 07:36:51 PM »
I don't understand how this guy was off mlb rosters last year and this until we signed him.  Was he looking for starter money and had to adjust expectations? The glove is a real asset even if you expect the bat to slip. I am shocked he's taking walks.

Bottom line is I would be happy with him and Harrison and Bell surrounding Garcia and Kieboom next year. Sign a SS who is overlooked like Semien was this year and we'd be ok.
Semien is the last guy we need to be signing. He's going to be 31 next year. He will not age well. And he is going to want a multi-year deal

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #24: August 08, 2021, 07:50:14 PM »

He was in decline for a while. His benching was a big, overdue deal. Which makes me scared this is a blur.

I’m fine bringing him back and trying to pickup a Josh Harrison type. Type of guys who won’t block Garcia and Kieboom if they’re doing well but can help stabilize the team and let us compete if Soto is mashing and the pitching is overachieving. If we suck, sell at deadline.