Author Topic: Bauer accused of assault  (Read 2644 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: Bauer accused of assault
« Reply #1: June 30, 2021, 08:13:44 AM »
What are the legalities if what he says is true and she asked for rough sex and he gave her a concussion?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: June 30, 2021, 09:01:20 AM »
What are the legalities if what he says is true and she asked for rough sex and he gave her a concussion?
Don't know criminal law too well, but I'd think that there's probably a principle that you can't consent to head trauma or a similar level of injury.  Whether it is a good  case to take to trial  is another matter, because I'd think there's a decent chance for jury nullification or a hung jury. 

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #3: June 30, 2021, 07:07:30 PM »
This probably doesn't end well for Bauer. With so many guys before him who got suspended due to MLB's policy, it will be a very narrow tightrope to walk unless there is substantial evidence to prove his innocence.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: June 30, 2021, 07:23:48 PM »
The Athletic article is out there, commentary is that it is a very difficult read. I have no desire to read it.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: June 30, 2021, 09:35:05 PM »
Suggest fans wear wide beaters to the game Sunday. 

Offline hohoho

« Reply #6: June 30, 2021, 10:52:04 PM »
To those fans (one in particular) on this board who wanted to sign him to a Nats contract: Told you he was poison.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #7: July 01, 2021, 08:03:35 AM »
To those fans (one in particular) on this board who wanted to sign him to a Nats contract: Told you he was poison.

It is juvenile to hijack a thread like this to do a victory lap over a free agency debate.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #8: July 01, 2021, 08:18:07 AM »
It is juvenile to hijack a thread like this to do a victory lap over a free agency debate.
Its also hilarious considering all of his teammates have loved him and vouched for him.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: July 01, 2021, 08:50:58 AM »
Its also hilarious considering all of his teammates have loved him and vouched for him.
That’s cause he didn’t have rough sex with them.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #10: July 01, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »
The Athletic story describes an ugly, ugly attack on the woman. Court hearing on July 23. Suspend him until then.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #11: July 01, 2021, 11:33:23 AM »
It would be kind of shocking if he was allowed to pitch Sunday.  Maybe MLB/Dodgers feel they can wait for some more info since he won't be on the field until then?

Online imref

« Reply #12: July 01, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »
It would be kind of shocking if he was allowed to pitch Sunday.  Maybe MLB/Dodgers feel they can wait for some more info since he won't be on the field until then?

Maybe they bring in Justin Maxwell to start?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: July 01, 2021, 11:47:39 AM »
After seeing the allegations in the athletic, I doubt he ever pitches again

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: July 01, 2021, 12:51:21 PM »
I don’t subscribe to the Athletic. Bauer has always struck me as an angry dude. So not surprising he assaulted someone.  I would not have guessed sexual assault but not shocking.  It is sad though.  If true. 

I would assume that if he is charged the Dodgers could suspend home without pay for this year and maybe get out of the contract. So maybe we can trade them Max for some of their young guys!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: July 01, 2021, 01:49:22 PM »
Is this OK to post? Dude really has a problem even is she agreed to everything (which seems doubtful). 

https://sports.yahoo.com/trevor-bauer-dodgers-police-assault-investigation-los-angeles-225713636.html

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #16: July 01, 2021, 02:35:00 PM »
Don't know criminal law too well, but I'd think that there's probably a principle that you can't consent to head trauma or a similar level of injury.  Whether it is a good  case to take to trial  is another matter, because I'd think there's a decent chance for jury nullification or a hung jury.

I'm not aware of any such principle.  Consent to a fistfight is a full defense even from felony battery charges as long as the person doesn't die.  And there's a weird wrinkle here, in that California's sexual battery statute doesn't cover the head-punch as it doesn't concern an intimate part of her body.  (That said, there's at least one other allegation of hers that certainly does.)

This probably doesn't end well for Bauer. With so many guys before him who got suspended due to MLB's policy, it will be a very narrow tightrope to walk unless there is substantial evidence to prove his innocence.

His agent (who is a lawyer at a well-respected and fairly sizeable law firm) claims he has strong evidence that proves consent.  Whether that's true or not is a matter to be seen.  Bauer has also claimed that they agreed on a "safe word" and that she never used it; she claims that's because she couldn't speak when she wanted to.  This is pretty ugly either way. 

The Athletic story describes an ugly, ugly attack on the woman. Court hearing on July 23. Suspend him until then.

Maybe, but it's indisputable (and indeed she doesn't dispute) that after one sexual encounter that was far outside the bounds of what most vanilla people would consider acceptable, she consented to a second encounter.  That's where this apparently happened.   And yes, what is alleged is very ugly indeed.

Offline welch

« Reply #17: July 01, 2021, 03:51:33 PM »
FP was suspended immediately.

Bauer punched her in the teeth, side of the head, and vagina, according to The Athletic. They saw the pictures taken in the ER and her written complaint. She says she agreed to "rough sex", but not to that.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: July 01, 2021, 04:11:11 PM »
I'm not aware of any such principle.  Consent to a fistfight is a full defense even from felony battery charges as long as the person doesn't die.  And there's a weird wrinkle here, in that California's sexual battery statute doesn't cover the head-punch as it doesn't concern an intimate part of her body.  (That said, there's at least one other allegation of hers that certainly does.)

His agent (who is a lawyer at a well-respected and fairly sizeable law firm) claims he has strong evidence that proves consent.  Whether that's true or not is a matter to be seen.  Bauer has also claimed that they agreed on a "safe word" and that she never used it; she claims that's because she couldn't speak when she wanted to.  This is pretty ugly either way. 

Maybe, but it's indisputable (and indeed she doesn't dispute) that after one sexual encounter that was far outside the bounds of what most vanilla people would consider acceptable, she consented to a second encounter.  That's where this apparently happened.   And yes, what is alleged is very ugly indeed.

the term skull fracture is in the medical notes. I wouldn't want to be the defense attorney arguing a woman consented to that

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #19: July 01, 2021, 06:40:12 PM »
the term skull fracture is in the medical notes. I wouldn't want to be the defense attorney arguing a woman consented to that

I highly doubt she did, but I wasn't aware of that fact.  Thanks.

Offline welch

« Reply #20: July 01, 2021, 07:02:23 PM »
Chelsea Janes in the Post:

By
Chelsea Janes
June 30, 2021 at 9:37 p.m. EDT

A temporary domestic violence restraining order filed against Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer and granted by a court Monday details graphic allegations about two separate encounters and includes photos of bruises and a bloodied lip suffered by the woman who obtained the order.

In the request for the restraining order, obtained Wednesday by The Washington Post and first reported on by the Athletic, the woman claims Bauer assaulted her during two consensual sexual encounters that turned violent, resulting in head and facial trauma. In the filing, the woman claims Bauer strangled her to the point that she lost consciousness and punched her multiple times in the face.

The Pasadena (Calif.) Police Department is investigating the woman’s claims, a spokesman confirmed Tuesday.

In a statement shared with The Post on Tuesday night, Bauer’s agent Jon Fetterolf denied the allegations as “defamatory” and “baseless.” His office also provided The Post with records of text messages between Bauer and his accuser, allegedly sent between the two incidents, in which his accuser discusses wanting to be choked and slapped during sex.

MLB is in the process of gathering information and has opened an investigation, according to a league official. Bauer is scheduled to pitch Sunday against the Nationals in Washington.

Corroboration is not required for a court to grant the kind of temporary ex parte protective order granted to Bauer’s accuser, the pitcher’s agent said. A hearing is scheduled for July 23, according to his attorney, at which point Bauer’s camp plans to refute the claims of the accuser.

“Mr. Bauer had a brief and wholly consensual sexual relationship initiated by [his accuser] beginning in April 2021. We have messages that show [his accuser] repeatedly asking for ‘rough’ sexual encounters involving requests to be 'choked out’ and slapped in the face. In both of their encounters, [his accuser] drove from San Diego to Mr. Bauer’s residence in Pasadena, Calif. where she went on to dictate what she wanted from him sexually and he did what was asked,” Fetterolf said in his statement.

“Following each of her only two meetings with Mr. Bauer, [his accuser] spent the night and left without incident, continuing to message Mr. Bauer with friendly and flirtatious banter. In the days following their second and final encounter, [the accused] shared photos of herself and indicated that she had sought medical care for a concussion. Mr. Bauer responded with concern and confusion, and [the accused] was neither angry nor accusatory.”

Fetterolf’s statement went on to say that Bauer and his accuser “have not corresponded in more than a month and have not seen each other in more than six weeks. Her basis for filing a protection order is nonexistent, fraudulent, and deliberately omits key facts, information, and her own relevant communications. Any allegations that the pair’s encounters were not 100% consensual are baseless, defamatory, and will be refuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

The allegations first surfaced on TMZ on Tuesday night. The Pasadena Police Department’s investigation is ongoing, spokesman Bill Grisafe said Wednesday.

In the declaration Bauer’s accuser offered the court in support of her request, the woman outlined a relationship that began on Instagram in late April. She said Bauer invited her to his home in Pasadena on April 21, at which point the two followed an evening of conversation with consensual sex that the woman said initially turned rough with her approval.

As it escalated, the woman claimed, she asked him to stop but Bauer continued choking her until she lost consciousness. When she regained consciousness, Bauer was engaged in nonconsensual anal sex, she claimed. She then asked him to stop and he did, she said.

A month later, on May 15, the woman said Bauer again invited her to his home in Pasadena. She agreed to have consensual sex with him again, she claimed, but Bauer then choked her into unconsciousness again, she said. When she woke up, she said, Bauer was punching her in the face.

“I remember this vividly as it was very startling and painful,” she wrote. When she woke up this time, Bauer’s accuser said she “had a terrible pain behind both of my ears” and “tasted blood in my mouth.”

A few days later, she said, she had two black eyes, a swollen jaw and cheekbones, a split lip, and bruising near her vagina, on her gums, and on her head. Pictures of her face included in the court filing show bruising under her eyes and a scab on her lip, as well as swelling on her jaw and cheekbone.

Later that day, the woman said, a friend took her to Alvarado Hospital Medical Center in San Diego. She said she underwent rapid CT scans of her brain, face and neck and told hospital doctors and psychiatrists what happened. Medical records included in the filing show that the woman underwent those tests. The woman “appears to have suffered significant head and facial trauma,” the records show.

Text messages included in the filing show Bauer calling and texting to check on the woman multiple times after the second encounter. In one message, Bauer offered to bring her groceries because he thought she might not be feeling well enough to get them herself. The woman said she kept her replies brief and continued to respond “no” to his inquiries.

“I have waited to bring this request … to see how the criminal investigation would proceed,” the woman wrote in her request for the protective order, which was granted Monday. “I am deeply concerned that no arrest has been made or charges filed.”

As of late Wednesday, no charges had been filed with the District Attorney in Bauer’s case.

“We anticipate there will be criminal action against Mr. Bauer and it is our hope law enforcement will take our client’s allegations and case seriously,” the woman’s lawyer, Marc Garelick, said in a statement Tuesday night.

Bauer, 30, became the highest-paid player in baseball when the right-hander signed a deal that pays him a single-season record $40 million for the 2021 season. He won the National League Cy Young Award in 2020 as a member of the Cincinnati Reds.

Online imref

« Reply #21: July 01, 2021, 07:15:30 PM »
Roberts says Bauer is starting sunday unless MLB tells them otherwise.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #22: July 01, 2021, 07:45:44 PM »
After seeing the allegations in the athletic, I doubt he ever pitches again

I'm surprised, especially with you being a lawyer, that you would place that much faith in an initial report that lacks corroboration of any sort at this point...  :shrug:

Like the FP deal though, I'll avoid jumping to any conclusions and simply wait until all is said and done.  The multiple "dates" do make me wonder if this was a "play for pay" deal...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: July 01, 2021, 09:02:53 PM »
I'm surprised, especially with you being a lawyer, that you would place that much faith in an initial report that lacks corroboration of any sort at this point...  :shrug:

Like the FP deal though, I'll avoid jumping to any conclusions and simply wait until all is said and done.  The multiple "dates" do make me wonder if this was a "play for pay" deal...

I’m not jumping to conclusions- I have no idea what happened. I just think the pr hit to mlb wont be worth letting him play again

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: July 02, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »
Hey, guess who's not pitching Sunday.  7 day admin leave. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/trevor-bauer-put-on-administrative-leave