Author Topic: Nationals vs Giants, Game 3  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Scrapple

Re: Nationals vs Giants, Game 3
« Reply #150: June 12, 2021, 11:17:00 PM »
The coach likely told Victor to “tag-up” however, once Victor saw that it was a strong throw towards second base he should have stopped and returned to first base. These guys are Big Leaguers and you should not have to hold them by the damn hand. If the play is in front of the runner as this was, it is 100% Victor’s decision. If Victor returned to the bench then told me, “the 1st base coach told me to go” I would still hold Victor responsible.
That said, Victor was just trying to help his club win the game. Unfortunately this was a painful choice and learning lesson at this stage of his career. Ouch!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #151: June 12, 2021, 11:32:44 PM »
The coach likely told Victor to “tag-up” however, once Victor saw that it was a strong throw towards second base he should have stopped and returned to first base. These guys are Big Leaguers and you should not have to hold them by the damn hand. If the play is in front of the runner as this was, it is 100% Victor’s decision. If Victor returned to the bench then told me, “the 1st base coach told me to go” I would still hold Victor responsible.
That said, Victor was just trying to help his club win the game. Unfortunately this was a painful choice and learning lesson at this stage of his career. Ouch!
Gonna be frank here: Robles was probably trying to make a play for an offense that had scored three runs in three games. Yea, it was an impulsive play. But I see why he tried.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #152: June 12, 2021, 11:34:46 PM »
Gonna be frank here: Robles was probably trying to make a play for an offense that had scored three runs in three games. Yea, it was an impulsive play. But I see why he tried.

he was safe if he didn't overside the bag.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #153: June 12, 2021, 11:50:55 PM »
I get it too however, you have to tie the game before you can win it.

I remember watching Kenny Lofton make the final out of a Playoff game trying to steal 3rd base when his team was down 2 runs. His manager stared off into space as Lofton walked by heading to the shower.

Can’t always assume players have common sense even though they’ve been around forever.  :hammer:

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #154: June 13, 2021, 12:30:56 AM »
I still can't get over Robles trying to take 2nd base on that play.  I give him credit for getting on base by hanging in and taking that hit-by-pitch on purpose, but that base running decision was just terrible.  If the throw was even halfway decent, he would have been out by a mile.  Just think if the roles were reversed.  Robles would have gunned out someone trying to take 2nd on that play by 15 feet.  Unless he thought the center fielder dropped the ball or had a total noodle arm, I just don't get how he runs on that play.

Offline Mighty Casey

« Reply #155: June 13, 2021, 06:52:33 AM »
easy answer....Robles is an idiot

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #156: June 13, 2021, 10:37:38 AM »
I still can't get over Robles trying to take 2nd base on that play.  I give him credit for getting on base by hanging in and taking that hit-by-pitch on purpose, but that base running decision was just terrible.  If the throw was even halfway decent, he would have been out by a mile.  Just think if the roles were reversed.  Robles would have gunned out someone trying to take 2nd on that play by 15 feet.  Unless he thought the center fielder dropped the ball or had a total noodle arm, I just don't get how he runs on that play.
Robles also has an exceptional arm. Slater has an average arm, at best. Im not saying it was the right move, but given how bad the offense has been, I can understand him trying to make a play there.