Author Topic: Former Nats Stinking it up  (Read 5927 times)

Offline Count Walewski

Re: Former Nats Stinking it up
« Reply #100: August 31, 2021, 06:53:39 PM »
wow what an up and down season for Hand

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #101: August 31, 2021, 07:39:50 PM »
Brad Hand DFA'd

:crackup:  that was your boi

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #102: September 01, 2021, 10:23:15 AM »
we basically got patrick murphy and riley adams for brad hand considering the jays had to cut murphy to make room. rizzo playing chess

No, Murphy was cut well after the trade - August 11.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #103: September 01, 2021, 11:16:58 AM »
 :shock:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #104: September 01, 2021, 06:46:13 PM »
Austin Adams hits two batters so far today.  Now 20 for the year.  in about 46 innings. 

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #105: September 01, 2021, 07:11:38 PM »
Austin Adams hits two batters so far today.  Now 20 for the year.  in about 46 innings.

I did wonder, during the game, that if SD are the Padres does that mean that their pitcher is Father Crismatt?... ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #106: September 01, 2021, 07:48:50 PM »
I did wonder, during the game, that if SD are the Padres does that mean that their pitcher is Father Crismatt?... ;)
Ok, that's way over my head. 

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #107: September 02, 2021, 02:46:25 AM »
Ok, that's way over my head.

Apologies, PWC - just the obscure way in which my mind works....

I thought 'Padres' implies Catholic priests (see 'how the club was founded'...)  who have the title of 'Father' and that Crismatt sounded sort of like 'Christmas'...Pehaps I felt, given the result, that he was pitching the D-Backs some presents... :D

Another one falls wide of the target... :D

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #108: September 02, 2021, 07:41:18 AM »
Apologies, PWC - just the obscure way in which my mind works....

I thought 'Padres' implies Catholic priests (see 'how the club was founded'...)  who have the title of 'Father' and that Crismatt sounded sort of like 'Christmas'...Pehaps I felt, given the result, that he was pitching the D-Backs some presents... :D

Another one falls wide of the target... :D
The priest part I understood. But missed Chrismatt. Thought maybe it was a character from a show.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #109: September 02, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »
It probably works better when spoken rather than written (or perhaps not.....)  :roll:

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #110: September 15, 2021, 02:30:44 PM »
One guy formerly in the Nats organization that is having a tremendous year is Robbie Ray. Leads the A.L. in ERA with a 2.69 in 170 innings.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #111: September 15, 2021, 02:57:17 PM »
After 2 brutal starts with the Cards, Lester has gotten decent results 4 out his last 5.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #112: September 21, 2021, 01:18:54 AM »
One guy formerly in the Nats organization that is having a tremendous year is Robbie Ray. Leads the A.L. in ERA with a 2.69 in 170 innings.
Robby Ray doesn't count.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #113: September 21, 2021, 08:51:23 AM »
After 2 brutal starts with the Cards, Lester has gotten decent results 4 out his last 5.

200th win yesterday

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #114: September 21, 2021, 09:10:10 AM »
When we talk about the coaching staff, this is the glaring issue that needs to be discussed.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #115: September 21, 2021, 10:55:18 AM »
When we talk about the coaching staff, this is the glaring issue that needs to be discussed.
So how has Espino been good?  He has a separate coach? Or maybe he just doesn’t listen to the pitching coach? 

Drawing conclusions on a small sample size for a veteran pitcher like Lester is not smart. Not saying that they should not change pitching coaches but using him is a bad reason. Anibal
Sanchez was great in 2019 with the same pitching coach. Then bad in 2020. Was that the coaching?  I think the bigger problem with the Nats and pitching is on the minor league side.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #116: September 21, 2021, 11:06:36 AM »
So how has Espino been good?  He has a separate coach? Or maybe he just doesn’t listen to the pitching coach? 

Drawing conclusions on a small sample size for a veteran pitcher like Lester is not smart. Not saying that they should not change pitching coaches but using him is a bad reason. Anibal
Sanchez was great in 2019 with the same pitching coach. Then bad in 2020. Was that the coaching?  I think the bigger problem with the Nats and pitching is on the minor league side.
Yet Espino came through our minor league side

Corbin, Ross, Fedde, now Lester .... its adding up.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #117: September 21, 2021, 11:12:19 AM »

So why were Scherzer and Strasburg ok?  You are just ignoring any information that does not fit into your box. And BtW, Fedde came up through our minor leagues. Espino joined the Nats organization in 2019 after a long career bouncing around other organizations. Hickey obviously transformed him this year. See. I can make small sample arguments like that too.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #118: September 21, 2021, 11:17:26 AM »

We need a thread about current Nats stinkin' it up...

...though I'm not sure WNFF offers sufficient bandwidth...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #119: September 21, 2021, 11:18:23 AM »
We need a thread about current Nats stinkin' it up...

...though I'm not sure WNFF offers sufficient bandwidth...
https://www.wnff.net/index.php?board=3.0

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #120: September 21, 2021, 04:13:55 PM »

Max Scherzer and Trea Turner shenanigans.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #121: September 21, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »

What?? What's your point? As Natsinpwc points out, Espino was drafted by the Indians, released, picked up by the Nats in 2014, released after 2016, picked up and released by the Brewers, Rangers, and Brewers again. Fedde was drafted by the Nats. Joe Ross was drafted by San Diego and came over in the Wil Meyers / Steven Souza trade, and spent 2015 in the Nats' minors. Corbin was signed, did well in 2019 and has collapsed. Lester never had it.

Is this meant to say that the Nats' pitching coach ruined Corbin and Lester?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #122: September 21, 2021, 04:35:36 PM »
What?? What's your point? As Natsinpwc points out, Espino was drafted by the Indians, released, picked up by the Nats in 2014, released after 2016, picked up and released by the Brewers, Rangers, and Brewers again. Fedde was drafted by the Nats. Joe Ross was drafted by San Diego and came over in the Wil Meyers / Steven Souza trade, and spent 2015 in the Nats' minors. Corbin was signed, did well in 2019 and has collapsed. Lester never had it.

Is this meant to say that the Nats' pitching coach ruined Corbin and Lester?
Certainly didnt help. Lester is thriving in St Louis after leaving. When he left, he and Corbin were neck and neck for worst pitcher in baseball.

Joe Ross and Erick Fedde look awful.

Scherzer left and basically is the best he's ever been.

The entire bullpen seems unable to throw strikes.

So tell me, who IS to blame for all this? It isnt just one person or a handful. Its literally every pitcher except Espino who is getting worse as the season progresses.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #123: September 21, 2021, 04:43:38 PM »
Certainly didnt help. Lester is thriving in St Louis after leaving. When he left, he and Corbin were neck and neck for worst pitcher in baseball.

So tell me, who IS to blame for all this? It isnt just one person or a handful. Its literally every pitcher except Espino who is getting worse as the season progresses.
bwahahahahha. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #124: September 21, 2021, 05:52:27 PM »

Maybe the pitchers themselves? Fedde has never been much. The bullpen is a collection of guys that Rizzo accumulated in the same places he found Josh Harrison and Alcides Escobar, although Harrison and Escobar have had good major league seasons. Max had a 2.76 ERA on a .892 WHIP pitching for the Nats. He has been better with the Dodgers, a better team. Maybe having better fielders and hitters helps.

And Max seems always to have been his own pitching coach.

Lester? He pitched for the Nats about the way he pitched for the Cubs in 2019 and 2020. He is not pitching brilliantly with the Cardinals.

So, to repeat: there is no basis -- none -- for blaming the bad pitching on the Nats' pitching coach.