Author Topic: Former Nats Stinking it up  (Read 6029 times)

Offline hohoho

Re: Former Nats Stinking it up
« Reply #75: August 20, 2021, 06:53:18 PM »
Third in OPS and OPS+.  That what the voters look at. No one pays attention to batting average and RBIs. What century are you living in. Tatis will probably win.
How old are the voters?
You conveniently forgot about WAR, the most important stat.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #76: August 20, 2021, 06:57:07 PM »
Assuming Tatis doesnt reaggrevate his shoulder, he's probably the NL MVP.

But Harper has been good and is outproducing that contract.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #77: August 20, 2021, 07:55:30 PM »
How old are the voters?
You conveniently forgot about WAR, the most important stat.
A corner OF cannot produce the same WAR as a SS or CF.  Defense for those positions is not valued as much.  Someone like Tatis is not a good SS but will generate higher WAR than Soto or Harper because of his position.  You are also adding in pitchers who will not get MVP votes (deGrom may have if not injured).  Harper will finish in the top 5 in the MVP vote.  Soto will get votes also. BTW, Harper is 7th in offensive WAR. 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #78: August 20, 2021, 11:01:34 PM »
I was amused at reading some of these comments. I must be old if the world we live in today a 9-9 record with a 3.83 ERA is something special and 22 home runs with 50 RBI's in mid August is worth 30 million a year. Seems to be the consensus but not the baseball world I grew up in.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79: August 20, 2021, 11:07:21 PM »
Almost all players from the 70s-90s would lose their minds if they had to face a league average pitcher the regularly threw in the high 90s.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #80: August 20, 2021, 11:15:25 PM »
I was amused at reading some of these comments. I must be old if the world we live in today a 9-9 record with a 3.83 ERA is something special and 22 home runs with 50 RBI's in mid August is worth 30 million a year. Seems to be the consensus but not the baseball world I grew up in.

If you think these numbers are mediocre, you are out of touch with the sport. ERA is quite flawed, Pitcher wins are garbage, and Homers and RBIs don't paint enough of a picture. Those old counting stats aren't enough to evaluate players like your trying to do.

Lucas Giolito is a good pitcher and is better than any starter vurre tly on this team. Maybe we can say that if Gray pitches highly for an entire year, but everyone else is worse than Giolitos numbers. Harper is having an outstanding year and is totally worth his AAV this season.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #81: August 21, 2021, 07:13:58 AM »
When assessing if Harper is living up to his contract, you also have to look at opportunities they may have been forced to pass up as a result of signing him.  He is having a very good year, but if you they had a crystal ball and knew they would miss the playoffs for the first 3 years and be 171-173 overall, would they still sign him?  They probably would have sold a lot less goofy Philly Phanatic head bands.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #82: August 21, 2021, 07:19:59 AM »
When assessing if Harper is living up to his contract, you also have to look at opportunities they may have been forced to pass up as a result of signing him.  He is having a very good year, but if you they had a crystal ball and knew they would miss the playoffs for the first 3 years and be 171-173 overall, would they still sign him?  They probably would have sold a lot less goofy Philly Phanatic head bands.
Who have they not been able to sign after Harper?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #83: August 21, 2021, 09:54:57 AM »
They traded for Realmuto and were able to sign him as a free agent probably because of Harper. Their problem is not enough young cheap talent. Too many guys like Bohm who are busts or Hoskins who always seems to be hurt.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #84: August 21, 2021, 10:06:50 AM »
They traded for Realmuto and were able to sign him as a free agent probably because of Harper. Their problem is not enough young cheap talent. Too many guys like Bohm who are busts or Hoskins who always seems to be hurt.

And pitching. It is a shame that they signed Wheeler who has been excellent, only to have Nola stop being excellent. This season Nola has been way better, but the Phils apparently fail to score enough runs for him.

Then that bullpen is just straight trash. The Phils are lucky the DBacks bullpen is actually just a bunch of wet stinky garbage because the Phils are only better than them. Imagine knowing how bad the Nats bullpen is, and dial it up another 15% and you have Philly.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #85: August 21, 2021, 11:51:46 AM »
How would I know?  I'm not in their front office. 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #86: August 21, 2021, 11:54:08 AM »

Pitching. The Phils are 5th in MLB in salary because they've put so much money in position players they don't have the pitching to get to the playoffs.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #87: August 21, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »
Pitching. The Phils are 5th in MLB in salary because they've put so much money in position players they don't have the pitching to get to the playoffs.

This makes me happy...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #88: August 21, 2021, 12:19:33 PM »
They literally signed the probable Cy Young winner after signing Harper.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #89: August 21, 2021, 03:46:39 PM »
They are basically middle of the pack in both pitching and hitting.  They are paying Zack Wheeler $24 million a year and Aaron Nola $12 million per year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #90: August 21, 2021, 03:47:37 PM »
This makes me happy...
I want to see Harper in the post season. Mostly cause it will irritate you.  :hysterical:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #91: August 21, 2021, 04:53:24 PM »
I want to see Harper in the post season. Mostly cause it will irritate you.  :hysterical:
with FP announcing

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93: August 21, 2021, 07:55:30 PM »
Too bad Guerra wasn't in this thread before tonight.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #94: August 21, 2021, 09:11:51 PM »
This makes me happy...

Me too. I can't stand Philadelphia sports teams in every sport.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #95: August 31, 2021, 04:45:47 PM »
Brad Hand DFA'd

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #97: August 31, 2021, 05:10:53 PM »
Brad Hand DFA'd

What????????????????????????????

Will Toronto want Riley Adams back?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: August 31, 2021, 05:19:40 PM »
they have Dan Janssen and Reese McGuire.  McGuire is pre-arb, Janssen is arb-1.  I'm guessing they don't see Adams as better, and they may have thought they'd get Hand back to June form. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #99: August 31, 2021, 06:02:46 PM »
we basically got patrick murphy and riley adams for brad hand considering the jays had to cut murphy to make room. rizzo playing chess