Author Topic: Former Nats Stinking it up  (Read 5922 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Former Nats Stinking it up
« Reply #25: May 27, 2021, 06:49:04 PM »
Taylor hitting .245 on the year, close to his career .238. Five home runs, 16 RBIs, 5 stolen bases, .679 OPS. Not so bad.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #26: May 29, 2021, 09:15:09 PM »
Giolito on MASN tomorrow.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: May 30, 2021, 05:10:07 PM »
Giolito on MASN tomorrow.
7IP 3H 1ER 12K 3BB

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #28: May 30, 2021, 08:35:57 PM »
<rant>

This is one for the stats nerds, but also one for the reality nerds:

Adam Eaton sucks.  Like, objectively, he sucks.  He's not a good hitter and he's a crap defender at a corner OF spot.  But Baseball Reference suddenly rates him as a very good RF when he goes back to Chicago, the same park where they rated him a very good RF after rating him mediocre in Arizona (in CF, alas) and awful in DC. So, who's wrong: Baseball Reference, or your eyes, who tell you that a craphead outfielder who can't hit .200 and sucks in the field is not worth half a win above replacement?

</rant>

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: May 30, 2021, 09:15:15 PM »
<rant>

Adam Eaton sucks.  Like, objectively, he sucks.  He's not a good hitter and he's a crap defender at a corner OF spot.  But Baseball Reference suddenly rates him as a very good RF when he goes back to Chicago, the same park where they rated him a very good RF after rating him mediocre in Arizona (in CF, alas) and awful in DC. So, who's wrong: Baseball Reference, or your eyes, who tell you that a craphead outfielder who can't hit .200 and sucks in the field is not worth half a win above replacement?

</rant>

Defensive stats are mostly voodoo.  They have some guys who never played baseball sitting in rooms watching tapes and making judgments about who could have gotten to a ball. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: May 31, 2021, 09:18:32 AM »
<rant>

</rant>
I'll be curious if there are parks that simply are easier to field in.  Not just quirky layouts, but wind directions, lighting and background, etc...  Does a brick wall and ivy cause outfield to back off near the Wrigley wall?  I used to think some outfielders played the scoreboard area of Nats Park a little cautiously because of the weird bright lighting in their peripheral vision and I think some chain fencing in front of it.  I wonder if new Comiskey or whatever they call it (US Cellular? Something else now?) is particularly easy for some reason. IT might not be something Statcast can pick up when it does probabilities of catches based on how a ball is hit and where the OF is positioned.  OTOH, if it is an easier read, it might be recording better jumps by Eaton.

Offline blue911

« Reply #31: May 31, 2021, 09:25:55 AM »
I'll be curious if there are parks that simply are easier to field in.  Not just quirky layouts, but wind directions, lighting and background, etc...  Does a brick wall and ivy cause outfield to back off near the Wrigley wall?  I used to think some outfielders played the scoreboard area of Nats Park a little cautiously because of the weird bright lighting in their peripheral vision and I think some chain fencing in front of it.  I wonder if new Comiskey or whatever they call it (US Cellular? Something else now?) is particularly easy for some reason. IT might not be something Statcast can pick up when it does probabilities of catches based on how a ball is hit and where the OF is positioned.  OTOH, if it is an easier read, it might be recording better jumps by Eaton.

Statcast rates his jump worse than last season.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #32: May 31, 2021, 09:34:03 AM »
Statcast rates his jump worse than last season.
so is statcast picking up an improvement, other than his jumps? or is it an artifact of whatever system B-R uses?

Offline blue911

« Reply #33: May 31, 2021, 09:56:43 AM »
so is statcast picking up an improvement, other than his jumps? or is it an artifact of whatever system B-R uses?

I can’t find any reason why his defense would be of greater value to the White Sox.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #34: June 30, 2021, 03:44:43 PM »
I can’t find any reason why his defense would be of greater value to the White Sox.

I just checked for an update on how these former Nats/prospects are doing. Giolito is still not doing as well as he was expected to do 6-5 3.84. Jesus Luzardo is stinking it up 2-4 6.87. Anthony Rendon is stinking it up .236 5 HR. 33 RBI. Bryce Harper not doing well considering the bucks he's being paid .267 11 HR RBI 21. Adam Eaton stinking it up .195 5 HR 27 RBI. Michael Taylor doing what Michael Taylor does which isn't a lot.

Bottom line we have a world series and I don't see a lot the Nats have given up. Am I missing somebody?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #35: June 30, 2021, 06:47:29 PM »
What's Doolittle up to?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #36: June 30, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »
Doolittle is 3-0 but his ERA is 4.55 so he's not doing anything either.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #37: July 07, 2021, 11:39:33 AM »
Adam Eaton designated for assignment. Stinking it up this year. Still only 32.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #38: July 07, 2021, 12:01:28 PM »
Adam Eaton designated for assignment. Stinking it up this year. Still only 32.

Wow. Didn’t see that coming.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #39: July 07, 2021, 12:22:56 PM »
Wow. Didn’t see that coming.

He basically lost his roster spot to Brian Goodwin.  Eaton sucks.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #40: July 07, 2021, 12:23:30 PM »
Carpal tunnel from shifting gears?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #41: July 07, 2021, 04:23:45 PM »
He basically lost his roster spot to Brian Goodwin.  Eaton sucks.

Hard to understand. The Chisox have their starting CF, Luis Robert, on the 60-day DL. Another CF, Adam Eaton, is on the 10-day DL. The pitiful Billy Hamilton is a backup, and they added Brian Goodwin. Weird.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #42: July 07, 2021, 04:25:47 PM »
Hard to understand. The Chisox have their starting CF, Luis Robert, on the 60-day DL. Another CF, Adam Eaton, is on the 10-day DL. The pitiful Billy Hamilton is a backup, and they added Brian Goodwin. Weird.
Hamilton is fine defensively in CF.  Eaton is not.  Another reason Andrew Stevenson is more valuable than someone like Souza Jr. or even Parra. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #43: July 16, 2021, 08:30:07 PM »

Very easy to understand:  Eaton isn't a centerfielder.  He hasn't played a single inning there since 2017, when he was god-awful there.  Which is why he hasn't played an inning there since.

Online imref

« Reply #44: July 17, 2021, 10:57:50 AM »
Jack Harris
@Jack_A_Harris
#Angels notes from Joe Maddon:
-Rendon probably won’t be back until end of July/beginning of August. Maddon said it’s “nothing awful” but that Rendon just still isn’t feeling better

On the year, Rendon is slashing .240 / .329 / .382 with 6 HRs in 217 ABs. He hasn't played since July 4th since injuring his hamstring.

Online imref

« Reply #45: July 17, 2021, 10:59:10 AM »
Difo is playing really well in Pittsburgh. Hitting .280 and playing infield and outfield.

wrong thread. :)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #46: August 15, 2021, 03:36:37 PM »
Eaton DFAed by the Angels after hitting .200 in 25 games.

Almost like the little rat-faced freak is bad at baseball or something.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #47: August 15, 2021, 03:37:18 PM »
Eaton DFAed by the Angels after hitting .200 in 25 games.

Almost like the little rat-faced freak is bad at baseball or something.
But we couldnt win a WS without him

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: August 15, 2021, 03:51:27 PM »
It’s amazing that someone might be performing at a level that was different than 2 years ago.

On an unrelated note, how are Strasburg, Corbin and Doolittle doing these days? I guess they weren’t essential to the WS run either.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #49: August 15, 2021, 04:42:52 PM »
But we couldnt win a WS without him

Nope, 2 years ago we couldn't.  Now he ain't so good and we ain't either.